The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I Don't Get Why People Don't Think Schneider = Top 5 1St Round Pick

I don't get why people don't think Schneider = top 5 1st round pick.

The way I see it, it takes a while to get any goalie prospect to get to Corys' level of goal tending.

Cory was the 26 overall draft pick on draft day years back and while 26th overall and top 5 in draft have major differences in talent level, we have to consider two factors.

1. Development time of any goalie.

Unless you draft a top 5 first round pick right off the bat, odds are, you'll have to take at least 5 years to develop one. So if you really want a bloody goalie, good luck trying to get one in this day and age because I doubt there are too many goalie prospects out there who are NHL ready.

2. The possibility of the top 5 pick being a bust

Cory has proven that he is not a bust. The top 5 guy who has never played in the NHL though, that's a different story.

You can always say that the top 5 pick is going to be "An impact player right off the bat"...and what Cory isn't?

The way I see it, Cory is worth a top 5 pick if not because of talent level, then because of the current NHL market which is not exactly abundant of top notch starters right now.

In the past, I'd say no. But the more Schneider proves he is the real deal, the higher his value goes up.

Varlamov got a 1st and a 2nd, and the general consensus was that each would be in the #5-10 range. Colorado may outperform that though. At the time, Varlamov had proved a lot more than Schneider. But now I'd guess most GM's expect even more from Cory.

I think the major benefit is look at the teams in the top 5

Columbus

Edmonton

Montreal

Islanders

Toronto

3 of the top 5 teams badly need goaltending....so its not outrageous to think that one of these picks will be on the table.

There is also Tampa at #7 overall.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see a Schenn + 1st Rounder, or Connolly + 1st rounder type trade for Vancouver.

I think Schneider is easily worth a top 5 pick plus a late 1st rounder. It is very hard to develop goaltenders, and anyone who has watched Cory play can easily say he has the talent to be a stater in the NHL. No doubt.

I would argue he's easily better than half the starters in the NHL, and his stats over two seasons can attest to that.

I think a deal with Tampa makes the most sense and they have the assets to pull it off

To TB

Cory Schneider

Keith Ballard

To VAN

TB 1st 2012 or Brett Connolly

DET 1st 2012

I think the major benefit is look at the teams in the top 5

Columbus

Edmonton

Montreal

Islanders

Toronto

3 of the top 5 teams badly need goaltending....so its not outrageous to think that one of these picks will be on the table.

There is also Tampa at #7 overall.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see a Schenn + 1st Rounder, or Connolly + 1st rounder type trade for Vancouver.

No and no please. Connolly is as glass as Salo and Schenn hasn't proven he can't play consistantly, hell he had been scratched more than Keith Ballard this season and every time I watch him he has a giant blip which ends up in the back of the net almost nightly.

I think Toronto does not have enough patience for there success. They rush young players into things i think. If we were to trade schnieds to toronto I would like to see gustafson coming back this way as part of the deal. we could start over with him and turn him into a spectacular goalie. I think the same way about Luke schenn

I think Toronto does not have enough patience for there success. They rush young players into things i think. If we were to trade schnieds to toronto I would like to see gustafson coming back this way as part of the deal. we could start over with him and turn him into a spectacular goalie. I think the same way about Luke schenn

If a top 5 overall pick is on the table, many of the Unavailable goalie around the league could become avaible.

As a Montreal fan, i would gladly trade price for one of the 2 first overall pick.

And since Schneider is one year away from UFA there is no guarantee he would sign long term with a team like Colombus.

Unless he is signed long term, Schneider need to be considered as a 1 year rental with possibility of an extension.

Even after the current Valarmov contract expire, he will be RFA and Colorado could still trade him for a return. In my opinion Valarmov had more trade value than Schneider.

I can guarantee you that no team would trade P. Kane, Stamkos, Tavares, Hall, RNH or Yakupov for that package. That also wouldn't get you Doughty, Hedman, Seguin, Landeskog, Grigorenko...or Pietroangelo, Duchene, E. Kane, Johansen, Gudbranson, Huberdeau or Larsson.

Schneider does not equal a top 5 pick. Maybe 8-12th oveall but not top 5. There is more than just a few draft positions separating "top 5" players from "top 10" players.

Archived