The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Vancouver Still A Desirable Destination For Ufas?

CoreyPerry

It doesn't matter how many people hate the canucks. As long as you are a contender, in a good hockey market and most importantly have the money to give, free agents will come to your team. The only thing a free agent might want to avoid is the amount of travel the canucks have to put up with.

Like some people have already mentioned, it comes down to the individual. I think the Canucks Organization has done a great job under Gillis of making itself one of the most attractive organizations for players, plus it is a nice city...at least when it's not raining. That said, Gillis is not going to pay high end UFAs as much as others will, so for low end UFAs who aren't going to get to much anywhere it's generally a pretty attractive destination, but for high end guys they will have to be willing to take a pay cut to come here which means that their priorities have to be location and winning a cup, not money.

The biggest negatives for the Canucks in attracting free agents are the fans and the media. As fans we're pretty demanding, we've ripped Luongo time and again despite him being the winningest goalie in franchise history, wining a gold medal, and taking us to game 7 of the stanley cup finals. The Sedins are criticized for the slightest dips in production even when they're two of the most productive players the team has ever seen and most likely will be the most productive players in team history by the end of their careers. As for the media, they generally reflect the worst of the fan criticism and worse, and it's intense as it's a Canadian market.

So to sum up in a few words, I basically think it's a question of what a player wants and what they're willing to put up with.

The notion that the Canucks aren't respected or to the point of being "hated" is slightly ludicrous. First, consider that players who're notable, and are not "locked" to a career contract never said anything negative about the organization. (Players trash talk players all the time, your question was concerning Gillis' Canucks)

Therefore, what you're essentially looking at is this:

Vancouver -

+: great city, mediocre weather but very livable especially with family. High level of diversity, allowance of different cultures (for European, Russian players). In Canada, (for Canadians). Huge hockey market - will live a celebrity life. Large enough city for nightlife but cozy enough for suburb living.

-: will be recognized on the street, may be harassed by fans/media. Family may be ostracized by fans/media.

Canucks -

+: contender for next few years. Well established no1 line and no1 goalie to take the brunt of the pressure. Plays a system game where there is little "ego" within the lockerroom.

-: travel schedule. (may be alleviated by restructure). will be in the spotlight whether you want to or not. (may face harassment, esp. media). huge amount of pressure due to fandom. Salary structure is short-mid term. Due to team competitiveness will be unlikely to obtain market value.

In my opinion, the Canucks are an attractive destination for second-tier players and underused 3rd/4th liners until either the Sedins retire or major movement. While 1st tier players may view Vancouver as a potential destination, Canucks may be unable to accomodate for salary. (i.e. Nash)

Yes, one of the best locations in the Western Conference. We were recently ranked as the 2nd best city to live in, (how the hell that happened I don't know) most desirable city, most beautiful women, most natural beauty of a city, add to that, our team is a contender every year, great environment, i'm not sure how the hell we are not an attractive location. Sure some players naturally prefer the East, but whatever, I don't expect us to be attractive to every player in the world. At least were not Edmonton or Calgary, or even somehwere like Phoenix, Vancouver is actually a very beautiful city in comparsion to 85% of the cities in the NHL.

It is not as simplistic as a player wanting to come to a contender or his home town or to a great city.

The Canucks are a decent option for UFAs but there are drawbacks as well. The cost of living in Vancouver is very high. The taxes are probably the highest in the league save for Montreal. The team is fairly set in most key positions so the role and ice time may not fit what the player wants.

A player can go to a team like Florida or Dallas where they have all kinds of cap space, great weather, lower cost housing and crazy low taxes. The lifestyle is great. The media attention is non-existent. The fans that do follow those teams are actually very loyal and supportive. Look at how Booth felt leaving Florida. May not always be a full house but the fans that are at the rink want to be there and love their team and players.

To come to the Canucks you have to sacrifice financially and as a top end player you need to be prepared for media and fan scrutiny. The way a player like Luongo is treated has to give guys some pause about wanting to come to Vancouver.

All that aside Gillis has done a nice job in trying to make the Canucks attractive to free agents. There are many more positives now than there has ever been. Historically the Canucks have been one of the least successful teams in the NHL. That has changed over recent years and the future appears solid. The organization seems to strive to treat the payers as well an any team. Concessions are made to make the players lives easier. The travel will always be a problem. The Canucks will never be like Toronto or the New York based teams with the ease of having lots of teams under an hour flight.

I think the Canucks are a pretty desirable location but there are drawbacks like any city and team.

The notion that the Canucks aren't respected or to the point of being "hated" is slightly ludicrous. First, consider that players who're notable, and are not "locked" to a career contract never said anything negative about the organization. (Players trash talk players all the time, your question was concerning Gillis' Canucks)

Therefore, what you're essentially looking at is this:

Vancouver -

+: great city, mediocre weather but very livable especially with family. High level of diversity, allowance of different cultures (for European, Russian players). In Canada, (for Canadians). Huge hockey market - will live a celebrity life. Large enough city for nightlife but cozy enough for suburb living.

-: will be recognized on the street, may be harassed by fans/media. Family may be ostracized by fans/media.

Canucks -

+: contender for next few years. Well established no1 line and no1 goalie to take the brunt of the pressure. Plays a system game where there is little "ego" within the lockerroom.

-: travel schedule. (may be alleviated by restructure). will be in the spotlight whether you want to or not. (may face harassment, esp. media). huge amount of pressure due to fandom. Salary structure is short-mid term. Due to team competitiveness will be unlikely to obtain market value.

In my opinion, the Canucks are an attractive destination for second-tier players and underused 3rd/4th liners until either the Sedins retire or major movement. While 1st tier players may view Vancouver as a potential destination, Canucks may be unable to accomodate for salary. (i.e. Nash)

Probably is as long as you weren't formerly employed by the Blackhawks or Bruins in the last couple of years (or seemingly the Wild as we are their supposed "arch-rivals" lmao). Also if you are pressure adverse or affected at all by fans... Steer clear!

IMHO the biggest deterent playing for Van is the travel. That is why I get so excited when relocation of the Yotes comes up. Seattle is raised as a possible site. Re-alignment with Seattle in and Van in the Pacific division changes Van's prospects. It puts 5 NHL franchises in the same time zone! It increases the opportunity for more Canadian cities to make playoffs.

It requires an owner with deep pockets as Seattle taxpayers will not go on the hook for a new arena.

really, 8 teams beat us to the cup last year? i must have been watching a diff team...i dont know what team your watching but never has it been every man for himself. of course on tough nights we struggle, thats why they're tough nights, and every team has them, most teams have them more frequently than us too. look at the locker room after games and pictures of "behind the lens" these guys are always acting like buddies joking, pranking, and hanging out with eachother even off the ice. comraderie is great, our facilities are the model of which other teams are basing theirs, and were in the playoffs every damn year. not to mention youd play along side some of the greatest in the league.

Archived