The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] New Suspension System

I was thinking about the Keith suspension a little bit and thought about how the Canucks don't benefit from it while they lose arguably their top player. My proposal is that when a player on team Y is suspended (for X amount of games) for an incident occurring to team Z, suspend him for the next games that team X plays team Y.

Example (hypothetically speaking):

Keith gets suspended 5 games for hit in Van-Chi first game of the regular season (Nov.6/11)

Van-Chi play three more games against each other in the regular season.

Keith sits out those three games (Nov.16, Jan.31 and Mar.21) and next two games (Nov.8 and Nov.10).

Basically, you get suspended for X games, but only play Y games against that team the rest of the regular season. So you're suspended for Y games against that team and the next X - Y games.

Discuss.

What about teams that only play each other twice a year? or what if the player is traded after incuring a suspension under your syste the new team is penalized for actions the player may have comitted a full season before? Interesting idea but I don't see it being practical. especially in the case of multiple game suspensions

Good idea! I like how it basically takes a player for a player (an eye for an eye) so that the loss would (in cases of star for star) be almost mitigated, though it would suck if a grunt drilled a star, b/c that grunt may have been a healthy scratch anyways

Since you started this thread I'll give u my two cents about what should be looked into to try and change the overall culture of the hits and plays that lead to suspensions; it's a long read, but lemme know what you think:

/topic/325926-edlers-friendly-discussion-with-keith/page__view__findpost__p__10502539">http://forum.canucks.com/topic/325926-edlers-friendly-discussion-with-keith/page__view__findpost__p__10502539

What about teams that only play each other twice a year? or what if the player is traded after incuring a suspension under your syste the new team is penalized for actions the player may have comitted a full season before? Interesting idea but I don't see it being practical. especially in the case of multiple game suspensions

1. this is explained in my post. reread please

2. this is more interesting, but I would like to see the same apply. I.e. after a trade, the player would still be suspended for the next game against that team. This would bring some baggage with the suspended player.

my thoughts on this topic are quite simple...if they league truly is serious about getting rid of these type of injuries, my solution is that the offending player causing injury is given a suspension until the injured player returns to the active roster plus the punitive leagur suspension. Why should a player who thru intent or careless neglegence be allowed to play while the victom must sit out till cleared.

my thoughts on this topic are quite simple...if they league truly is serious about getting rid of these type of injuries, my solution is that the offending player causing injury is given a suspension until the injured player returns to the active roster plus the punitive leagur suspension. Why should a player who thru intent or careless neglegence be allowed to play while the victom must sit out till cleared.

1. "Reform" Fighting. Introduce Major penalties for stage fighting and an automatic $10,000 fine to the coach for stage fights.

2. Mandate an investment of $500,000 from each team for improving helmets. Use the NHL R&D camp as an opportunity to test prototypes. The current helmets players are wearing are buckets. They're barely helmets at all. Concussions have always been a problem in hockey, taking out the red line isn't going to do anything.

3. Take out the instigator rule

4. Introduce the "Three-Minute Minor". It's a fighting penalty that occurs when a questionable hit occurs on a teammate of the penalized player. The fighting penalty is given out when the said penalized player retaliates against the questionable hit. The player receiving the minor penalty does not receive the usual 5 minute major for fighting. The fight must be initiated while the opposing players are face-to-face or are aware of the situation. Otherwise, the 5 minute major only applies to one player.

5. The Questionable Hit definition is open to interpretation. Players will be left to their devices to set the precedent as to what a questionable hit is.

6. Fine coaches with more than one questionable hit in a season.

7. If a player backs down from a retaliatory fight, he receives a 2 minute unsportsmanlike penalty. I call it "The Marchand Rule"

Archived