The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Musings On Our Favorite Team

CanKnucklehead89

First I'll just say that I'm on a slow internet connection and don't feel like combing through statistics and articles so I'm sorry if there are slight inaccuracies in this but this is more about how I'm generally thinking/feeling about the team these days.

I think it's pretty awesome that even though we've had an absolutely terrible march we're still within spitting distance of the Conference lead and the Presidents Trophy. That said I don't think that it's a big deal if we fail to capture either. The 7-8 seeds are a total toss-up as to who will make it, in my mind L.A is the worst case scenario first round opponent. I think we'd get past them but it would be a hard, physical series that would probably go 6 games just on the strength of their goaltending, and in a series where offense may be hard to come by the possible absence of Daniel Sedin could be felt more acutely.

With regards to the injury, I don't know why but I just haven't been too worried about Daniel. I pray that I'm right and his injury isn't too bad, my feeling is that he'll be back for the playoffs but obviously nobody really knows outside of the organization.

I don't know what the exact quote is but on HNIC one of the commentators mentioned that Henrik had said something along the lines of "We don't care if people want us to be blowing teams out and playing fancy, we're comfortable playing a tight low scoring team game". I loved that, from a Sedin that just about amounts to an "F off", these guys have taken so much crap from the media and the fans over the years, they're great players, they know it, they know what the team needs to be successful, and they know the team better than even the most devoted of us fans could. They are going to do what they think gives us the best chance to win and as long as this is one of the best teams in the league, we should be happy with that.

When it comes to our Stanley Cup chances i have to say that I'm not as confident this year as last year. In the first round of the '09-'10 playoffs I told my friend that I didn't think that we would win the cup that year but that we would the next year. I'd always been a pessimistic hockey fan, telling myself to expect the loss so I wouldn't be too dissapointed if we did lose (I know that's a pretty dumb psychiological game but there ya go). From the beginning of the '10-'11 season right until sometime during the 3rd period of Game 7 of the SCF I felt completely confident in the team that they were going to win it all, I really never doubted it at all: it was weird and wonderful. I don't feel this same confidence this year which isn't to say that I don't think that they will win it but I do think that it's going to be a tougher battle this year since there are about 4 teams in each conference that I would say have legitimate shots.

While I think we have a shot at it all this year I actually wouldn't be too surprised or upset with a second or third round exit this year. It would give the boys a long break to rest their bodies and then train hard through the summer. I also think that this will be a big summer for the organization, I guess that isn't too insightful since we all know something has to happen with Cory Schneider. I know there's a lot of disagreement about what we will be able to get for him but I have a feeling Mike Gillis will be able to get a very good return for him, I'm praying we can pry Columbus' probable first overall pic from them although it's probably a long shot. I also think that Gillis will make the move for the established top four shutdown defender that we need. So basically my sense is that next years team is going to be stronger than this years and may be a better opportunity for a long cup run.

Thanks for reading!

Thank you for your musings.

I am assuming a lot of Canuck fans are feeling the same way going into this years' playoffs. Last year they went in on such a roll it felt like they were going to win it all. Obviously there was work to do but it felt like all was aligned. This uneven March has a lot of fans doubting and nervous. I could see an earlier exit as well but I'm hopeful the lessons learned last year give us "the leg up" on our opponents.

I think we can still take the West and make the Stanley Cup Final. Like every year it may depend on an upset or two or on the old "hot goaltender". The East this year looks scary. The Rangers, Flyers. Bruins and in particular the Penguins all look pretty strong.

If the Canucks don't succeed this year I think we still have a number of years in our window of opportunity. Gilllis will make some key moves this summer for the future of the team but I'm not certain its' a slam dunk we move Schneider unless Gillis likes the return. I do think an early exit could spell the end for AV despite his success to date. I think he is a very good coach but the organization may choose to bring in a fresh voice to try and take them to the next level.

I feel exactly like you: we're a really good team this year, but without the magic of last year. I'm guessing that we make it to the second round and then lose in a tight series.

I also feel that this summer marks the end of an age, just like the summer we got Loungo from Florida. The Sedins (although I'm their biggest fan, and have been since they played for Modo in Sweden) are going to start declining, same thing goes for Lou. It's time for some new guys (Kesler, Edler) to step in and dominate for another eight to ten years.

An early exit would be a huge blow, but if it happens and a new coach is brought in, it could be the best thing for the team. Look what the shakeup in St. Louis has produced. AV's been consistent in regular season, but his flaws have been well documented on the forums, and another coach may be needed to take the team to the next level. That combined with a great trade for Scheider, and more balanced scoring (to replace what was lost at trade deadline with Cody) and a stud defenceman, could put the team in better position next year, as the OP said. The only thing going against us, is some of our core players like the Sedins are past their thirties while powerful young teams like Pittsburgh, Boston, St. Louis, Nashville, and LA, have younger stars who are still getting better. So I see us staying competitive, but unless we pick up some offence in the off-season, we may never be dominant again.

I had no expectations about the canucks going into this year tbh. Honestly, how many teams go to the finals in back to back years? There was Detroit/ Pittsburgh a few years back. But what was the next closest one?

That being said, I will cry when we lose anyway :bigblush:

Appreciate the pro Sedin talk, in addition to being great players, they are also great human beings. However I had to stop reading when you said you didnt like our chances in this years playoffs. You forget the one thing we have over last year, that is scf game 7 experiance. We have humiliation and that in itself can be the greatest motivator. Plus I dont wanna hear any negative talk when we are mere days away from the run.

Yeah I think a lot of fans are thinking this way as said above but on a side note about daniel i've looked but can't find anything ( probably becasue it's not there to find) but maybe there was an update I missed, do we know approximatley how bad daniel's concussion is and/or how long he may be out for? Really hoping he'll be back come playoffs but thats coming realllly soon! Get well soon danny!

this is why i keep coming back to the board. intelligent posts, like minded responses. I don't post a whole lot( or even a little, by some standards) but I like a good read on my canucks. I dont think recent posts should be displayed on the main page, I've been sucked in by misleading titles, needless sarcasm, and the ever popular head-in-palm-shake. cheers. go canucks go.

/user/71030-canknucklehead89/">CanKnucklehead89, great post! I am an Optimist, but also an underdog fan, and I gotta tell you, I didn't feel like an underdog last year or this year. Thing is, at the top, there is no 'king of the castle'. If your not one of the dirty rascals, then your one of 6 or 8 teams who are pretty much a coin flip away from a stanley cup in any given year. I am happy to say we are one of those 6 or 8 teams, just like last year. In fact, we are ranked 7th in power ratings today, so 7th is a good place to be. I predict we win the first round, and have a tough time in the 2nd and any subsequent rounds. I also hope to see our guys in the finals!

and on our second favorite team, at least as Canadians we should be cheering for Winnipeg to push into the playoffs their first year back!

Tonight is make it or break it, do or die, live by the sword or die trying kind of must win situation for the Jets right now.

Here are the projected lines and pairings for the Jets:

Andrew Ladd - Bryan Little - Blake Wheeler

Evander Kane - Alexander Burmistrov - Kyle Wellwood

Tanner Glass - Jim Slater - Antti Miettinen

Tim Stapleton - Ben Maxwell - Spencer Machacek

Tobias Enstrom - Dustin Byfuglien

Ron Hainsey - Zach Bogosian

Randy Jones - Mark Stuart

Ondrej Pavelec

Chris Mason

I, for one Canuck Fan, wish them success, and that they can hang on to see the post season in this their first year back in Canada.

An early exit would be a huge blow, but if it happens and a new coach is brought in, it could be the best thing for the team. Look what the shakeup in St. Louis has produced. AV's been consistent in regular season, but his flaws have been well documented on the forums, and another coach may be needed to take the team to the next level. That combined with a great trade for Scheider, and more balanced scoring (to replace what was lost at trade deadline with Cody) and a stud defenceman, could put the team in better position next year, as the OP said. The only thing going against us, is some of our core players like the Sedins are past their thirties while powerful young teams like Pittsburgh, Boston, St. Louis, Nashville, and LA, have younger stars who are still getting better. So I see us staying competitive, but unless we pick up some offence in the off-season, we may never be dominant again.

this is why i keep coming back to the board. intelligent posts, like minded responses. I don't post a whole lot( or even a little, by some standards) but I like a good read on my canucks. I dont think recent posts should be displayed on the main page, I've been sucked in by misleading titles, needless sarcasm, and the ever popular head-in-palm-shake. cheers. go canucks go.

Archived