The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Pakistan To Charge Bin Laden Widows

Buggernut

Pakistan to charge bin Laden widows

Three wives and two daughters of former al-Qaeda chief face up to five years in prison for illegal entry and residency.

Last Modified: 27 Mar 2012 06:49

201212873758592734_20.jpg

Osama Bin Laden, the leader of al-Qaeda network, was found and killed in Pakistan on May 2, 2011 [EPA]

A Pakistani court will charge Osama bin Laden's widows and two of his grown-up daughters for illegal entry and residency in the country, their lawyer has said.

Muhammad Aamir told the AFP news agency that "the court will frame charges against five family members on April 2".

The court on Monday issued copies of the charges to the women. If convicted, they are liable to be deported or imprisoned, Aamir said.

Under Pakistani law, they could serve a maximum sentence of five years.

Bin Laden's two Saudi and one Yemeni widows, together with their children, have been living under the protection of the authorities in Pakistan since the al-Qaeda chief was found and killed by US Navy SEALs on May 2, 2011.

Bin Laden, who was the leader of al-Qaeda, the group alleged to be behind the September 11 attacks, went into hiding shortly after the US attacks.

He was killed in a secret raid by US special forces when he was found to be hiding out in the Pakistani garrison town of Abbottabad.

Bin Laden's wives, and an undisclosed number of children, were among the 16 people detained by Pakistani authorities after the raid.

A Pakistani commission has interviewed the family members for clues about how the al-Qaeda chief managed to stay in the country undetected.

The country has always said it would look after bin Laden's family until they could be repatriated to their homelands.

Source:

Agencies

so the pakistanis are going to charge the wives,who under that culture do what they are told under threat of death?The wives of one of the most feared and notorious criminals in history.How utterly typical.F in morons.

mate , you make it sound like we in the west have nothing to be ashamed about with the way we treat women . women do not have access to poitions of power as easily as men do in religion, politics and business and when they do they are generally not paid as much .

wow ! , do you really believe that .my mother who was a draughtswoman in the 1950,s faced a lot of predjudice , and when she quit her job , to start the family farm , work 12 hours a day , then come inside and do another 5 or six hours doing house work and looking after all of us , while dad sat watching television . 1972 lost a breast to cancer , month or 2 later 16 to 18 hour days again , 2 years later lost the other breast to cance , straight back into to it .

my partner who is in IT and has been desribed by her boss in one e-mail as being a genius at problem solving is paid half as much as some males that do her job , and one of them told me he is not half as good at his job as she is , hell they pay first year guys more than they pay her . say what you like but you are dreaming if you think women are treated equally and have the same opportunities as men in western society .

Outraged by the imprisonment of Bin Ladens widows, a group of Pakistani men break into their jail cells and free them.

In the Pakistani culture, it is considered blasphemous for a woman to be away from the kitchen. These men risked their lives to free the widows and put them back where they belong.

:bigblush:

1. It's not the 1950's.

2. If your partner feels she's getting a raw deal, why doesn't she negotiate for a better wage? Take her act somewhere else if she can't get the respect she deserves at her current job. It makes no sense from a company's standpoint to pay someone more for the sole reason of being male. Maybe a little assertiveness is what she's lacking.

Outraged by the imprisonment of Bin Ladens widows, a group of Pakistani men break into their jail cells and free them.

In the Pakistani culture, it is considered blasphemous for a woman to be away from the kitchen. These men risked their lives to free the widows and put them back where they belong.

1. It's not the 1950's.

2. If your partner feels she's getting a raw deal, why doesn't she negotiate for a better wage? Take her act somewhere else if she can't get the respect she deserves at her current job. It makes no sense from a company's standpoint to pay someone more for the sole reason of being male. Maybe a little assertiveness is what she's lacking.

in some of the ways we treat women , it may as well be the 1950's .

damn right she has no assertivenes , mostly because her father , and previous partner told her she was a piece of crap often enough for her to start believing it, this beautiful, highly intelligent , warm hearted person , who when i met her was going without meals in order to keep up her sponsorship of a couple of buddhist monks .

are you suggesting that we treat women equally in western society , please answer i would really like to hear your views on this .

Speaking for myself, I can't see any financial nor practical sense in paying someone more just for having a dick. I can't speak for her boss specifically, nor figure out what is going through his mind. I suppose there is bound to be the occasional douchebag here and there.

Lack assertiveness and you are bound to get fracked over in life, male or female.

i do not understand it either but it seems to be a fact of life that women are generally not remunerated as well as men are for doing the same job , even when they do it better, wether they are assertive or not .

you have not put forward any arguments to refute my claim that we do not treat women as true equals in western society . while we treat them a lot better than most muslim societies , we are far from perfect , and one should not throw stones , if one lives in a glass house .but that is a function of human nature ehh, to criticise others for faults we have ourselves .

Yeah, how can we criticize murderers when we drive over the speed limit (both being illegal activities)?

Seriously, if it's anywhere near as bad as it is over there (not their people in general, as one fellow was apt to point out, but the system over there), then you can start to make comparisons. Otherwise, nice hijack.

Archived