The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ballard & Gragani

InSoM-

Is anybody else drooling at the puck-moving potential of these two on the same pairing? Both seem very capable of skating up the ice with the puck and making something happen. It could be interesting to see some 5-man rushes. :D

Both seem like rovers, both have great skating ability. This could either be one of our most effective offensive pairings; or one of our biggest liabilities. They could help our transition game ALOT!

I'm hoping to see Ballard to mentor Gragani defensively, teaching him to hipcheck and to use his speed.

The skating ability of these two blows me away though; I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing the two of them on a pair together at some point.

Ballard can't play the right side. Gragnani said he would try, but wasn't comfortable. So far, AV has only used him on the right side once, when Salo took a day off.

As far as the D pairings go, unless any of them are injured, Gragnani will likely not be paired up with Ballard. Ballard's style fits Tanev a lot better. Gragnani's style fits Tanev better.

Gragnani makes great plays to join the rush and is a really good skater. So far, his defensive game seems better than Ballard's actually. So if AV likes what he sees, (and AV likes him from coaching him in the juniors), I could see Grags get the call over Ballard, since Ballard will likely be rusty a bit. We've seen over the years, AV's dog house is not a easy place to get out.

Ballard teack MAG defence would be great so long as we have Hamhuis teach Ballard first. Serioulsy though, I love Ballard but he's not the guy who should be mentoring MAG. MAG needs a defensive defenceman to show him that side of the game. Not another d-man like Ballard who is shaky in his own end but good on the forecheck.

AV would never pair those two together. He's shown over the years that he likes pairing opposing style defensemen together for the balance. MAG would be better suited with a Tanev or even Ham down the road IMO.

AV would never pair those two together. He's shown over the years that he likes pairing opposing style defensemen together for the balance. MAG would be better suited with a Tanev or even Ham down the road IMO.

I'm not sure about this.

I've been thinking alot about our bottom pairing lately and AV & MG seem to be trying to turn the bottom pair into a "Utility pairing" capable of doing whatever is needed.

Ballard + Any of the below

Alberts - Rome

Gragani - Tanev

Alberts is our big body; clear the net type of defensemen.

Rome is capable of fighting, throwing the occasional big hit, and even seems to have found a little bit of a scoring touch in Van( ;))

I think Grags was brought in to act as an upgrade over Tanev for this season & help us push for the cup, Grags seems to have a similar skillset but is a bit further along in his development; long term Tanev has better upside though.

I agree with the bottom pairing being a utility pairing. I think MAG was brought in to replace Salo for next year though. Someone that has a semblance of a shot that can play the powerplay. Don't think Salo will be back next year, but you never know. Tanev has great upside in a Hamius sorta way. If AV DID pair those two, I'd be alternating from cringing whenever the puck was in our zone, to jumping from my seat when they were on the rush lol.

Since Salo plays the right side I canot see how MAG will replace him. Tanev could replace Salo if he retires. Suggesting Tanev and MAG as a pairing is a scary thought. Neither are capable of moving anyone in front of the net. MAG was turning the puck inside his zone mulitple times last night. As soon as he gets his 10 games in then he will be on the sidelines pending a injury. Ballard will come back in and play with Tanev on the 3rd pairing. I have been a little worried about Salo as his play as become a little indecisive. Unlike him. Hope there isn't a physical problem.

The injury issue is always there during playoffs. Can Salo stand up to 20 to 28 playoff games? Opposing teams know that Van's weakness is in the d-core. Throw it into the corners and work Van defenders physically and they can be beaten. Van counters this by moving the puck quickly which can catch deep forecheckers. It does require Van forewards to backcheck well which they have been doing quite nicely for the past 4 games.

I wouldn't do this, its like putting David Booth and Cody Hodgson on the penalty kill.

But Ballard and Alberts has been pretty solid.

There was a stretch where they were both plus players and Ballard received 6 of his 7 pts in 10(give or take) games.

I was as excited as anyone about getting Gragnani in the Hodgson deal. However, so far he has been more of a liability than pretty much any other defenseman we've played this year.

I still think he has a lot of raw potential, but I doubt we see him much during the playoffs, unless/until we get a few injuries, anyways.

Archived