The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ballard & Gragani

InSoM-

I'm not sure about this.

I've been thinking alot about our bottom pairing lately and AV & MG seem to be trying to turn the bottom pair into a "Utility pairing" capable of doing whatever is needed.

Ballard + Any of the below

Alberts - Rome

Gragani - Tanev

Alberts is our big body; clear the net type of defensemen.

Rome is capable of fighting, throwing the occasional big hit, and even seems to have found a little bit of a scoring touch in Van( ;))

I think Grags was brought in to act as an upgrade over Tanev for this season & help us push for the cup, Grags seems to have a similar skillset but is a bit further along in his development; long term Tanev has better upside though.

mag made some nice passes out the zone last night, when i thought for sure he would turn it over. he did have one turnover that i remember, but all in all, he is pretty calm with the puck, and so far usually makes the correct pass to get out of the zone, or just carries it out himself

i am a big tanev fan the more he gets to play. and 2 penalty minutes this year.. that is pretty impressive.

Is anybody else drooling at the puck-moving potential of these two on the same pairing? Both seem very capable of skating up the ice with the puck and making something happen. It could be interesting to see some 5-man rushes. :D

Both seem like rovers, both have great skating ability. This could either be one of our most effective offensive pairings; or one of our biggest liabilities. They could help our transition game ALOT!

I'm hoping to see Ballard to mentor Gragani defensively, teaching him to hipcheck and to use his speed.

The skating ability of these two blows me away though; I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing the two of them on a pair together at some point.

I was really impressed with MAG's offensive instincts last night and when we did loose the puck his skating allowed him to get back in the play enough to break up the scoring chance going the other way. He had some very nice plays with Kesler in the offensive zone in particular. He's still an NHL rookie and IMO was a bigger part of the Hodgson trade than many realize.

Our blueline looks very good for years to come in my opinion.

There was a play that Gragnani made with Kesler last night, and for a second I thought I was watching Ehrhoff again.

The guy has great offensive instincts, he just needs to work on knowing when to jump up, and when to stay conservative. I'm still waiting to see him shoot a little more consistently. For a point a game player in the AHL, he's gotta have some sort of ability to get pucks through. Hopefully he can figure it out in the last 6 games.

There was a play that Gragnani made with Kesler last night, and for a second I thought I was watching Ehrhoff again.

The guy has great offensive instincts, he just needs to work on knowing when to jump up, and when to stay conservative. I'm still waiting to see him shoot a little more consistently. For a point a game player in the AHL, he's gotta have some sort of ability to get pucks through. Hopefully he can figure it out in the last 6 games.

Sounds like great fun indeed; but both are left side guys. We know Ballard is uncomfortable on the right, Grags?

Historically, these types of guys are best complimented by lock down defensive studs that help counter any risks they take.

As fun as it sounds, it also does not sound all that fundamentally smart!

Is anybody else drooling at the puck-moving potential of these two on the same pairing? Both seem very capable of skating up the ice with the puck and making something happen. It could be interesting to see some 5-man rushes. :D

Both seem like rovers, both have great skating ability. This could either be one of our most effective offensive pairings; or one of our biggest liabilities. They could help our transition game ALOT!

I'm hoping to see Ballard to mentor Gragani defensively, teaching him to hipcheck and to use his speed.

The skating ability of these two blows me away though; I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing the two of them on a pair together at some point.

Sad, but true. Looks exciting, but still in need of grooming.

Right now its contracts and callup ratio's. Connauton deserves the shot just as much. But we have to play Grag's so many games to qualify him as restricted vs UFA, and only are allowed four minor call ups.

MAG isnt good enough to be on this team and should probably be playing with the Wolves. Lots of room for improvement.

Archived