The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Officiating For The Scp (How Fair And Balanced Will It Be?)

spinarama

It will be the same as it is every other SCP, the refs will put the whistles away and let the players play hard physical hockey. They will only call the most obvious penalties (hooks, holds, trips that are blatant).

Not sure why this was a surprise at all to everyone last year. It is this way EVERY YEAR and has been for a long time. Granted it did not play into our hands last year as we were very reliant on the PP, which i don't feel as though we are as reliant upon this year.

This is in no way a new trend. Scrums have always been allowed to go further in the playoffs, physicality becomes an important factor.

there is no secret agenda by the refs to take the canucks down... all teams experience their share of bad calls, its not just the canucks getting scammed...

Hockey is a fast game, a lot can happen within a 2-3 second frame, and sometimes, bad calls are made.. that's just inevitable

People need to stop whining about the reffing and just let the game play out..

I don't think that the refs intentionally favour one team over another, however,

I must say that the way the refs seem to "change the rules" or at least change how they enforce them during the playoffs does negatively affect the Canucks in particular.

The refs do call less holding, hooking and the like, and they DEFINITELY call less rough stuff after the whistles.

The Canucks are a fast, skilled team who thrives on powerplay.  If the hooking and holding and rough stuff is not called (as it usually is not in the playoffs), then the Canucks have more to lose than other teams.  And therefore, it looks as though the refs have a bias against them.

I don't think that the refs intentionally favour one team over another, however,

I must say that the way the refs seem to "change the rules" or at least change how they enforce them during the playoffs does negatively affect the Canucks in particular.

The refs do call less holding, hooking and the like, and they DEFINITELY call less rough stuff after the whistles.

The Canucks are a fast, skilled team who thrives on powerplay. If the hooking and holding and rough stuff is not called (as it usually is not in the playoffs), then the Canucks have more to lose than other teams. And therefore, it looks as though the refs have a bias against them.

Ref here, it's all about game management.

You can't ref every game by the book. Sometimes you have to view your authority as a set of tools you can use in many different ways in order to accomplish a goal (an entertaining, safe, intense hockey game) without calling it black and white. Once you get a feel for how the game is being played, and how the individual players react to certain scenarios, then you have a better idea of how to call it; but it's always a good idea to start the game off calling it tighter than you would at the end, except if it's 5-0 or something and there's frustration, gloating and bitterness. Then you call it tight again so emotions don't spill over completely.

There must have been one or two games a year where one team should have only had 1 penalty called against them while the other team had 12 and yet you never, ever see that happen, wonder why?

In a league where everyone demands that the refs 'should not decide the outcome of games' how the hell can the fans expect the officials to call them as they see them.

Going to be brutal as always.. Main thing I'm worried about is our Powerplay. Hasn't been producing anything lately, and the lines are all mixed up badly... Even if the Refs do call a decent game (unlikely) we have to take advantage almost every chance we get.

We should stick to 2 defense on the point always on the PP, Kesler and Burrows on the point aren't doing anything. Players like them should be down low behind the net doing the cycle and grinding for pucks, or infront of the net screening the goalie and looking for tip ins and rebounds.

Also, Gragnani is pretty useless.. would rather see a big physical shutdown defenseman like Alberts out there, than a small guy who doesn't hit and can't create any chances

Archived