The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Does This Mean That This Is Coming To The Nhl As Well?

http://www.star-telegram.com/2012/03/27/3840484/nba-considers-selling-advertising.html

NBA considers selling advertising space on jerseys

By Dwain Price

dprice@star-telegram.com

DALLAS -- In an attempt to generate more revenue, the NBA is pondering the idea of placing ads on the jerseys of every player from the 30 teams.

This transition could create approximately $31.18 million in revenue in TV exposure alone.

The NBA Board of Governors will meet next month to discuss the possibility of adding advertising on jerseys.

The idea has been met with much support from players and coaches.

Meanwhile, Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban also said it's an idea whose time has come.

"I've been trying to tell [the NBA]," Cuban said. "If someone wants to give us $10 million, I'll make it happen."

Cuban believes NBA commissioner David Stern can be convinced that putting ads on jerseys is a viable concept for the league.

"If the amount's enough, David will jump up and down," Cuban said. "He's not going to do it for $200,000 from Power Balance, but if somebody offers us $25 million, it's done.

"We just have to work out the split with all the teams so everybody gets the benefits."

Mavericks forward Dirk Nowitzki is accustomed to seeing ads on basketball jerseys in his native country of Germany. European basketball teams have worn ads on their jerseys for years.

"I think we all understand the NBA, by now, is one of the biggest businesses in the world," Nowitzki said. "And if that's a business decision, I don't think it's a bad one."

Mavericks center Ian Mahinmi also saw more than his share of ads on jerseys in his native country of France.

"For me, coming from overseas, I'm used to that," Mahinmi said. "The team I used to play for had a bunch of commercials on their jersey, so it's nothing that I haven't seen."

Mahinmi, however, believes NBA jerseys should be considered sacred and shouldn't be tampered with.

"Ads on an NBA jersey, it's got to be a little weird," Mahinmi said. "Growing up, you're used to see the NBA and the city and the name of the team [on the jersey].

"That'll be something new and that'll be a little unusual."

How the ad money will be distributed from team to team has to be figured out. For instance, a team from Milwaukee wouldn't be expected to generate the same amount of revenue as a team in New York City.

Also, superstars such as Kobe Bryant would likely be better compensated monetarily than a player who barely plays. That's a troublesome sticking point that must be addressed before the ad idea can come to fruition.

Still, Mahinmi is a little confused about a move that will alter the game forever.

"Ever since I can remember, you picture a jersey a certain way, and then all of a sudden you're going to change it?" Mahinmi asked. "It'll be a little different."

Cuban said he doesn't expect the jerseys to be dominated by ads the way NASCAR drivers' fire suits are. Armed with that notion, Mavericks forward Shawn Marion said: "Man, yeah, it's a good idea. NASCAR is the No. 1 grossing sport.

"So, why not? I can't be mad at them at all."

However, Cuban did say: "If there are three people offering us $25 million each, they can put it wherever they damn well please."

Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle is fond of the mere thought of putting ads on NBA jerseys.

"I know that the WNBA is doing it," Carlisle said. "It's a good way to generate revenue, and those kinds of things. It's a good idea."

Denver Nuggets forward Corey Brewer said it's time the NBA expands its mind and seriously considers the thought of placing ads on jerseys.

"That's wild, but I can see people doing that and I can see teams doing that, too," Brewer said. "It'll be something different."

The ad idea would help some teams balance their books, and possibly help them pursue a free agent.

"It's not going to be Go Daddy," Cuban said. "But for $25 million, Go Daddy can be on my tush. But it's not going to replace Dallas or Mavericks."

Nowitzki said that the ad idea is very normal where he was born and raised.

"I think in soccer, that's normal," Nowitzki said. "Everybody has their main sponsors on the jerseys.

"That's why the sponsors put their money into it, because they want to be visible. And what more visible spot than on a jersey?"

Dwain Price, 817-390-7760

Twitter: @DwainPrice

I hope it doesn't happen, from what I've heard the NHL is against it. It's ok for junior teams or European teams who need cash, but not the NHL. We don't want this to be like NASCAR. Imagine the iconic uniform of the Montreal Canadiens with a Burger King logo slapped on it.

I hope it doesn't happen, from what I've heard the NHL is against it. It's ok for junior teams or European teams who need cash, but not the NHL. We don't want this to be like NASCAR. Imagine the iconic uniform of the Montreal Canadiens with a Burger King logo slapped on it.

I couldn't Imagine having ad's on jerseys. I mean, think about iconic jerseys like Montreal and Boston. I don't think the NHL would let that happen.

I could see them maybe putting little ad stickers on the players helmets or something, or maybe on the ice in the corners or behind the nets, but not on the jerseys.

I too remember the days of no ads on the boards or the ice. But, as long as it is done tastefully, I have no problem with it.

If it was something small like the Rona ad on the Lions' jersey, I don't think it would necessarily be a bad thing.

woah.jpg

I generally do not care for ads, particularly on a Canucks jersey. It would be a good alternative to higher ticket prices however. As mentioned above, something like what is on the Lions jerseys would be acceptable. All equipment already has a Koho, RBK, Sherwood etc logo on it anyways.

I generally do not care for ads, particularly on a Canucks jersey. It would be a good alternative to higher ticket prices however. As mentioned above, something like what is on the Lions jerseys would be acceptable. All equipment already has a Koho, RBK, Sherwood etc logo on it anyways.

Archived