The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Level Of Canucks' Play Simply A Matter Of Stakes

Sixteen W's

Watching Mason Raymond has given me hope for this team. After weeks of poor efforts and lack of motivation, Raymond was a healthy scratch for the first time in 3 years. Since his return, Raymond has been noticeably better in all areas of his play.

After Daniel's injury, Henrik has stepped up his game if anything. Chris Higgins gives his best effort every game and is arguably the Canucks' most valuable player. Every time Luongo seems threatened by Schneider's play, his game goes up another l, and of course there's still Schneider.

The Canucks aren't playing their best hockey, but second place in the West is a virtual lock now, and it seems unnecessary to take first in the league at risk of injury. My only problem might be that the team isn't setting the best example to young players like Kassian or Gragnani.

Still, what the Canucks have shown is that when something is at risk, they can raise their game. I see this as an encouraging sign as the playoffs approach when stakes are never higher.

Hopefully the Nucks can find that next level. Raymond definitely has since being scratched. It hasn't helped him stay on his feet but he is doing the right things out there and playing a lot harder, which is noticeable on the ice. If his efforts can rub off on the rest of the team we'll be laughing.

When the Playoffs start, most teams are going to switch to the next gear and give it there all every game. Those are the teams that are going to be successful...

Last year, most of our players did that.. Glass, Oreskovich, Ballard, and a few others were pretty much useless and shouldn't have been out there at all..

We were fine until the Finals.. Injuries, bad reffing, and fatigue.. Our team didn't manage ourselves for the whole playoffs. Hopefully this year we can

Also, I should mention that a lot of games in the finals, we had to play with only 5 defenseman due to injuries. Or sometimes 4, if one was in the box or something.. That really did a number on us

Watching Mason Raymond has given me hope for this team. After weeks of poor efforts and lack of motivation, Raymond was a healthy scratch for the first time in 3 years. Since his return, Raymond has been noticeably better in all areas of his play.

After Daniel's injury, Henrik has stepped up his game if anything. Chris Higgins gives his best effort every game and is arguably the Canucks' most valuable player. Every time Luongo seems threatened by Schneider's play, his game goes up another l, and of course there's still Schneider.

The Canucks aren't playing their best hockey, but second place in the West is a virtual lock now, and it seems unnecessary to take first in the league at risk of injury. My only problem might be that the team isn't setting the best example to young players like Kassian or Gragnani.

Still, what the Canucks have shown is that when something is at risk, they can raise their game. I see this as an encouraging sign as the playoffs approach when stakes are never higher.

When the Playoffs start, most teams are going to switch to the next gear and give it there all every game. Those are the teams that are going to be successful...

Last year, most of our players did that.. Glass, Oreskovich, Ballard, and a few others were pretty much useless and shouldn't have been out there at all..

We were fine until the Finals.. Injuries, bad reffing, and fatigue.. Our team didn't manage ourselves for the whole playoffs. Hopefully this year we can

Also, I should mention that a lot of games in the finals, we had to play with only 5 defenseman due to injuries. Or sometimes 4, if one was in the box or something.. That really did a number on us

I agree with the OP this team plays much better when the stakes are high. our only 2 really good games in the first 3 weeks of march were the st louis game and the chicago game. and we always play great in november due to a crappy october. ntm the playoffs last year , save for a few games in the 1st and 4th rounds

Archived