The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Get Ready For A Pacific Division Matchup

tds

1. Coyotes

2. Sharks

3. Dallas

4. LA Kings

Don't buy the NHL conspiracy nonsense. Even if you distrust Bettman, there are too many individuals within the NHL head office that care about the integrity of the game.

I think that Phoenix won't be able to play their system consistently over a 7 game series. They leave such little room for error and don't have a lot of experience to hold the seams together when things start to unravel.

Plus I don't think they are an overly physical team.

Whoever gets LA in the first round is unlucky. I think that of any of the teams in the 6-8 spot, they have the best chance of pulling off an upset, regardless of who they play.

EDIT: Ribiero will crumble in the playoffs. He can't handle the physical game and he is going to take stupid penalties (high sticking/slashing) when guys start taking a run at him.

I'm confident we can beat any of those teams in 6 games, and definitely in 7 games.

However of them I think LA has the best chance of going deep. They have all the elements and if they found form could be a very challenging playoff hockey team.

I think our best bet would be to play Dallas or Phoenix as just making the playoffs would be a success for those teams. While LA and SJ would need to make it past the first round to have a successful year which would amp their palyers up.

It seems that after tonight, when you look at the current shakeup of the Western Conference standings, we are going to matched up in the first round with one of the four Pacific Division teams in the playoff race.

Let's first talk Canucks. We now now that the team officially will not finish below second place in the West, and to take top spot we will have to finish with more points than St. Louis (they have tiebreaker on us). Both us and the Blues have five games remaining with the schedules as follows:

CANUCKS: vs. DAL, vs. CGY, vs. ANA, @ CGY, vs. EDM

BLUES: @ CHI, vs. CBJ, vs. DET, vs. PHX, @ DAL

(seems like Vancouver has the easier schedule, no?)

In this scenario of course we will either be playing the 7th seed or the 8th seed guaranteed. As it stands now:

TEAM (GP) PTS

3. Dallas (77) 89

6. Chicago (77) 93

7. Los Angeles (77) 88

8. San Jose (77) 88

----------

9. Phoenix (77) 87

10. Colorado (79) 86

11. Calgary (78) 85

So, assuming we will finish 1st or 2nd, its fairly easy to rule out Chicago (6th). I don't see any of these teams below them catching them in the final five games. Also, it seems both Colorado and Calgary have just run out of games - not far back but with four teams ahead of them both having one or two games in hand, they just don't have the time to slip in.

With that said, I think we can safely assume our first round opponent will be either Dallas, LA, San Jose or Phoenix. It clearly just depends which team will snake in with the division title and who will be the two teams in 7th and 8th.

Who does everyone want to see in the first round? Stars, Kings, Sharks or Coyotes?

You really believe there is nobody fixing these games when the teams are close, the campbells, bettmens and his henchmen the refs..hhahahahaha

Seriously, the possibilities are real..Phoenix for instance Bettmen needs people in the seats its all about the business...American U.S.

who ever faces them will have to play harder and go up alot of goals to make sure games are not called by the refs which could sway a series...

I believe the only way to stop any conspiracy is not to give the people in question reason to sway a game or series by putting in more goals than the opposition leaving little room for inaccuracies which could sway a series by the refs or Bettmen meddeling ways.

Do I believe it s out there ....You bet those that dont are nieve to think its not ...I have to laugh..Its not about the sport its about the business...now give me your money..your seat is the last one down this isle sir..no not that one..thats the $1000 dollar seat...thats for Wayne Gretzky the one beside him is for Prime Minister Harper using your tax dollars...

You really believe there is nobody fixing these games when the teams are close, the campbells, bettmens and his henchmen the refs..hhahahahaha

Seriously, the possibilities are real..Phoenix for instance Bettmen needs people in the seats its all about the business...American U.S.

who ever faces them will have to play harder and go up alot of goals to make sure games are not called by the refs which could sway a series...

I believe the only way to stop any conspiracy is not to give the people in question reason to sway a game or series by putting in more goals than the opposition leaving little room for inaccuracies which could sway a series by the refs or Bettmen meddeling ways.

Do I believe it s out there ....You bet those that dont are nieve to think its not ...I have to laugh..Its not about the sport its about the business...now give me your money..your seat is the last one down this isle sir..no not that one..thats the $1000 dollar seat...thats for Wayne Gretzky the one beside him is for Prime Minister Harper using your tax dollars...

hehe, good to see this thread. I made one a week ago, and every day since there has been a new one, only fitting as the picture changes daily, there was probably one before mine too...so here is my thoughts on it.

I think its 'one' games worth of points too early to count out Calgary, you just never know.

Calgary has a chance to hit 93 points, but they need to win 4 strait. Tonight they help themselves if they beat Colorado. Then its on to Vancouver twice and the ducks to finish. Yeah the fat lady is warming up, but she isn't singing yet.

Colorado can only possibly hit 92 points and as i stated, with a loss tonight against Calgary, they cap out at a max of 90 while calgary 'could' get 93. After the Flames, just Columbus and Nashville left for Colorado, at home.

San Jose: The worst time of the teams trying to get in: back to back Stars and Back to Back Kings. Yikes. SJS could hit a max of 96, but that won't happen against these two tough teams over four games strait.

Los Angeles won 7 of their last ten, or they wouldn't be in this possition, but they do actually have a strong position. With the most games left, and a point max of 98, looks like they are in. Edmonton, Minnesota and Edmonton are thier next three games, before ending with back to back Sharks games.

Phoenix has Anaheim, Columbus and Minnesota as 3 of their last 4 games, then one against the BLues who will be fighting for a Presidents Trophy. The point max for the 'yotes is 97

Dallas, currently in 3rd place, but facing some weird numbers where they could still finish 9th. Dallas has the worst schedule I can see of the trailing teams in teh playoff race. Vancouver, Sharks, Sharks, Nashville and the Blues. It is very possible Dallas falls from grace and one of Calgary, Colorado or San Jose becomes princess for a day. Dallas could end up with 99 points, but against these tough teams over five games it will be interesting, they haven't won two in a row in a few weeks.

And from a timeline perspective:

Tonight:

Vancouver plays Dallas: possible 2 points for Dallas to hold onto 3rd place

Los Angeles vs Edmonton: possible 2 points for Kings to pace Dallas, or take leadin the Pacific

Colorado V Calgary: at most a 3 point game, but make no mistake: its loser locked out in this high stakes game a loss in regulation for either team is the end of the dream, and a loser point only drags out the misery for another day. The winner however, keeps their hopes alive.

Tomorrow, the clinchers for a lot of these questions...

Los Angeles v Minnesota: coming out of this game with back to back wins would almost seal the deal for LA

Anaheim v Phoenix: losing to a mediocre club isn't the way to start a relatively easy final four games

Calgary v Vancouver: I almost feel sorry for the Flames, as they require points from 2 Vancouver games to have a chance.

Dallas v San Jose: The matchup of the night. another possible three points injected into the race, Dallas playing its second game in a row, and coming off a Vancouver matchup could give the edge to the sharks.

I won't do further than tomorrow, but the pacific race is intense. Any of the three 'could' fail to make the playoffs, but with so many points up for grabs between them, they could also open a hole up the middle where Calgary or Colorado can rush up to 8th spot.

Interesting finish.

Anyone not scared of LA needs to give their head a shake. The one knock on them was scoring, and since the deadline they have dramatically improved in that area.

Also the quickest way for any favorite to lose a series is outstanding goal tending, and Quick has proven himself to be among the elite goalies this year.

Anyone not scared of LA needs to give their head a shake. The one knock on them was scoring, and since the deadline they have dramatically improved in that area.

Also the quickest way for any favorite to lose a series is outstanding goal tending, and Quick has proven himself to be among the elite goalies this year.

Archived