The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is The Defense First Approach Working Well?

JasetheCanuck

Most of those shots were extremely easy for our goalies.. We aren't giving up ANY quality chances.. Our defensive side is really coming back to us.. Now we just need to work on getting our offence going..which we also have a lot of depth in that compartment.

its obvious that this style works great for our team with the back-to-back shutout. we have great team that could score even with a stingy team like St. Louis (2 goals and shutout); great goal tenders that can shutout any team at any given night and great defenders. this kind of play will be lethal in the playoffs.

I don't know if what we've been playing the last two games would be considered "defensive." Yes, they have been low scoring games, but I see that more as a function of excellent goal tending by both our net minders, not necessarily excellent defensive play. We've definitely been more active in the neutral zone though.

Give aways and failed clearing attemps in our own zone have played a big role in the high shot counts imo. There's also been a lot of second chances on rebounds for teams that truthfully, we were probably quite lucky that none of them went in.

When I think defensive hockey, I think clogging the neutral zone a bit, and collapsing on the net to deny rebounds and block lots of shots. Our blocked shots have been low, we haven't been collapsing very effectively (if that's even what they're trying to do), but I wil agree there's been more action in the neutral zone.

Cheers,

Ramone

Great goaltending, compensating for turnovers,bad clears and poor offensive play is not "defensive hockey".

St Louis is playing great defensive hockey and potting 3+ goals a game as well. Much more balanced.

As for the Nucks, if playing defensively means only generating 12 shots half way thorugh a game against teams not in the playoff picture, they will certainly be relying heavily on LU and Schneids when they come up against Nashville or St Louis type teams.

THe defensive focus right now is necessary for the playoffs but also necessitated by a serious slump from our offensive forwards. Our 2nd line has 1 point in the last 7 games!! Hank hasn't scored a goal in 18 games!! Improved defence has helped overcome this against weaker (though desparate) competition but won't get it done come playoff time against stronger teams. Detroit, Boston etc, don't tend to miss open net chances like the AVs did .

Works against overly aggressive opponents that must win every night and don't have the luxury to sit back like the Canucks do right now. It is the best way to play the teams fighting for their playoff lives. Great way to get ready for the playoffs. Good way to win the Presidents trophy especially when you look at St.Louis's schedual compared to ours. But yes, it is boring to watch. Oh well.

I'm glad they are doing this. For some time our D was playing way too loose and giving up too many odd-man rushes. I think they developed a lot of really bad habits and this change was needed to clean up their game. Our offense is dryIng up and this is the only way we can go until they sort it out. Will be tough to play a speed game with all of the nonsense clutching that they are letting go. Always confuses me when the sedins always get called for hooking but refs never call hooking when it's on the sedins.

MG doesn't like it (the league wide return to a defence-first style), but the results over the Canucks last few games speak for themselves.

We will not have the luxury of letting the D-men pinch on every cycle opportunity, so our forwards will have to bear down on their transition game / counter-attack chances.

And if Booth can start to bury a few of his breakaway chances ...

Archived