The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Offer Sheeting Cory Schneider

J.I.A.H.N

Ok, my understanding of an Offer sheet is that the Canucks can match, so that being said, and Cory playing lights out hockey. I submit the following scenerio.

#1 If I were a GM and really trying to get a starting goalie for my team, why would I low ball Cory Schneider, knowing that he has grown up with most of the current Canucks. Do you really think he is just going to leave his family, to take a low ball offer?

#2 If I were a GM and really trying to get a starting goalie for my team, why would I low ball Cory knowing that there are possibly 9 teams vying for his services ( Columbus, NJ, NYI, Wash, TB, Toronto, Winnepeg, Edmonton, Calgary). A side from Brian Bourke, no one would do that, and why would Cory take it.

My take is that if I was Cory, and someone over paid to get me, I would be humbled, and would really want to play for that team, conversely, why would I play for someone who didn't think I was worth it.

#3 If I was a GM and really trying to get Cory, I would offer enough that it would be really painful for the Canucks to match. Or actually couldn't match it!

That being said Mike Gillis will trade one of his goalies ( probably Schneider ) before the draft.

And if I was that GM looking for a starting goalie, I would want to talk to Cory while no one else could, if I was really serious! ( I would probably have the contract agreed upon before making the trade..that happens all the time)

That would be a great message to send Cory, something I would want, if I had a future all-star goalie.

i dont think there has been a more ideal player to offer sheet than cory in a long time if ever. Canucks are bound by Lu's contract and having to match a 4.5 million dollar contract may be pretty difficult, only if we have to do it for a year. Hopefully Gilly gets something done by the draft, but GMs may be more willing to go that route. If a good team offers him 6 million thats only a 1st 2nd and 3rd, which I'd imagine most people on here would be dissapointed with. Not the end of the world I guess but he should be able to fetch more I would imagine. Hopefully the bidding war for his services is high enough that MG can get an elite defensive prospect of sorts that is close to NHL ready. I think Victor Hedman straight up with maybe a pick thrown in there would be perfect. I don't really watch him play so I'm not sure if his defensive play is over/under rated, but if hes on pace to develop anywhere near what he was suppose to I think hes just what we need. Often the bigger boys need a little bit longer to season and develop into elite players.

I highly doubt Schneider signs an offer-sheet. Even if he does (assuming he doesn't get traded before July 1), the Canucks will match it. Schneider's trade value is substantially higher than the compensatory draft picks we'd get by refusing to match.

Who says Schneider will still be an RFA without a contract come July 1st?

We'll either trade him and the other team will sign him, or we'll keep him and sign him ourselves. Schneider has said he's happy here for the short term as he gets a chance to win, which he might not have elsewhere. He'd likely take a 2 year deal at a reasonable raise from us, and that would allow us to look at moving him prior to the deadline next year, or even at the draft/in the summer as he'd still have another year left on his deal. That way we're protected from offer sheets this summer, plus it's not just a one year deal where he'd be a UFA next summer (which would hurt his trade value).

If you think Gillis will let July 1st roll around without having signed or traded him - or at least have it very close to either eventuality - then you haven't been paying attention.

why would I play for someone who didn't think I was worth it.

#3 If I was a GM and really trying to get Cory, I would offer enough that it would be really painful for the Canucks to match. Or actually couldn't match it!

That being said Mike Gillis will trade one of his goalies ( probably Schneider ) before the draft.

That would be a great message to send Cory, something I would want, if I had a future all-star goalie.

I highly doubt Schneider signs an offer-sheet. Even if he does (assuming he doesn't get traded before July 1), the Canucks will match it. Schneider's trade value is substantially higher than the compensatory draft picks we'd get by refusing to match.

Why wouldn't he play here? The Canucks development are the ones that nourished him and made him who he is, and he should know enough to take a discount, just like how Burrows has done greatly.

...Schneid's is only 26 - young - , and look at other goalies his age, or ones that have potential like him, that are starters, and look at their pay and what they have taken after their first contract had expired, and who'm all signed to multi year deals to stay with the team:

Corey Crawford: 28 years old - 3 years, $2.666 million

Semyon Varlamov: 24 years old - 3 years, $2.833 million

Michael Neurith: 24 years old - 2 years, $1.150 million

Tuukka Rask: 25 years old - 2 years, $1.250 million

Carey Price: 25 years old, 2 years, $2.750 million

Jimmy Howard: 28 years old, 2 years, $2.250 million

Brian Elliott: 27 years old, *extended this year* 2 years, $1.800 million

....Many of those guys are well more proven starters than Schneider, and look at what they took after their entry level contract expired - no more than $3 million. If you guys think Schneid's is worth more than that, essentially saying he's worth more than those goalies, you guys a crazy. He deserves in between $2-3 million max, and should sign a 3 year deal with us. If he thinks he's the best there is and is greedy, let him go - All the players on our team have taken discounts to stay here, so there's nothing special about Schneider and that he doesn't have to.

Also, the cap is supposed to rise a lot at the end of the year, supposedly up to $70 mill (currently at $64.3 mill), and if it did, we'd be able to keep Schneider for sure cause the only thing restricting us from doing so it cap space.

All these goalies know their worth more than that, but its what they have to do - money isn't everything in hockey, especially to a guy like Schneid's. Winning the Cup is.

Why wouldn't he play here? The Canucks development are the ones that nourished him and made him who he is, and he should know enough to take a discount, just like how Burrows has done greatly.

...Schneid's is only 26 - young - , and look at other goalies his age, or ones that have potential like him, that are starters, and look at their pay and what they have taken after their first contract had expired, and who'm all signed to multi year deals to stay with the team:

You forgot about Jaroslav Halak. He was traded last offseason from Montreal and signed for 3.75/yr at 25 years old.How much a goalie signs for is dependant on how much potential a team feels he has. No one wants to go down the road the Islanders did with a young goalie. One injury and it could be over and a team is on the hook. At least with other players you can put them in a demenishing role where they can have some success.Corey Crawford: 28 years old - 3 years, $2.666 million

Semyon Varlamov: 24 years old - 3 years, $2.833 million

Michael Neurith: 24 years old - 2 years, $1.150 million

Tuukka Rask: 25 years old - 2 years, $1.250 million

Carey Price: 25 years old, 2 years, $2.750 million

Jimmy Howard: 28 years old, 2 years, $2.250 million

Brian Elliott: 27 years old, *extended this year* 2 years, $1.800 million

....Many of those guys are well more proven starters than Schneider, and look at what they took after their entry level contract expired - no more than $3 million. If you guys think Schneid's is worth more than that, essentially saying he's worth more than those goalies, you guys a crazy. He deserves in between $2-3 million max, and should sign a 3 year deal with us. If he thinks he's the best there is and is greedy, let him go - All the players on our team have taken discounts to stay here, so there's nothing special about Schneider and that he doesn't have to.

Also, the cap is supposed to rise a lot at the end of the year, supposedly up to $70 mill (currently at $64.3 mill), and if it did, we'd be able to keep Schneider for sure cause the only thing restricting us from doing so it cap space.

All these goalies know their worth more than that, but its what they have to do - money isn't everything in hockey, especially to a guy like Schneid's. Winning the Cup is.

I agree with most of the above comments. I was merely addressing the Offer Sheet idea, and what I think would be going through other GM,s heads.

As much as I said Cory will probably be gone, I also said that the Canucks are his extended family, and I wouldn't be suprised if he resigned.

I also think we could use an upgrade on D, a little more scoring, and a restock of our future talent. I don't know maybe we can have it all, but trading a goalie might be the quickest way to get there.

Not that I like it!

Amount

Compensation Due

$994,433 or below

None

Over $994,433 to $1,506,716

3rd round pick

Over $1,506,716 to $3,013,434

2nd round pick

Over $3,013,434 to $4,520,150

1st and 3rd round pick

Over $4,520,150 to $6,026,867

1st, 2nd, and 3rd round pick

Over $6,026,867 to $7,533,584

Two 1st's, one 2nd, one 3rd round pick

Over $7,533,584

Four 1st round picks

Sign him to 2 or 3 years @ 2.66-2.8 (on a top-tier team)

If Roberto has his NMC option come due in 2014-15(?) you can 'force' Lu into a tandem/backup roll if he goes into a quick decline, or encourage him to pursue options in MTL/FLA/Quebec City <_< /etc. Then you sign Cory to infinity.

I might be wrong here, but I think theres a rule that if a player is signed to an offer sheet and his team decides to match the offer, that player is then inelligible to be traded for a year or something.  The Canucks would have to bite the bullet and pay whatever amount the offer sheet was for.  An offer sheet would be a very bad thing.

Archived