The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Offer Sheeting Cory Schneider

J.I.A.H.N

i dont think there has been a more ideal player to offer sheet than cory in a long time if ever. Canucks are bound by Lu's contract and having to match a 4.5 million dollar contract may be pretty difficult, only if we have to do it for a year. Hopefully Gilly gets something done by the draft, but GMs may be more willing to go that route. If a good team offers him 6 million thats only a 1st 2nd and 3rd, which I'd imagine most people on here would be dissapointed with. Not the end of the world I guess but he should be able to fetch more I would imagine. Hopefully the bidding war for his services is high enough that MG can get an elite defensive prospect of sorts that is close to NHL ready. I think Victor Hedman straight up with maybe a pick thrown in there would be perfect. I don't really watch him play so I'm not sure if his defensive play is over/under rated, but if hes on pace to develop anywhere near what he was suppose to I think hes just what we need. Often the bigger boys need a little bit longer to season and develop into elite players.

• 2 months later...

Had a hard time finding this thread again.....till i realized there was a search function.

Saw Kypreos and company saying tonight they would not be surprised to see an offer sheet coming for Corey schnieder. This scenario looks worse now than it did a few months ago when this thread was started. If we lost him for a first and a third then that would suck. If we matched then our cap situation would suck and mean we couldnt trade him for a year which would make him a ufa. sure maybe you think we are trading lou anyway but this makes other teams know we have no choice.

Update your thoughts on this matter

Had a hard time finding this thread again.....till i realized there was a search function.

Saw Kypreos and company saying tonight they would not be surprised to see an offer sheet coming for Corey schnieder. This scenario looks worse now than it did a few months ago when this thread was started. If we lost him for a first and a third then that would suck. If we matched then our cap situation would suck and mean we couldnt trade him for a year which would make him a ufa. sure maybe you think we are trading lou anyway but this makes other teams know we have no choice.

Update your thoughts on this matter

A friend of mine brought up the possible Schneider offer sheet scenario and said it's one of the main reasons that Gillis has to get a Luongo deal done by the draft or at least before July 1. I thought he had a great point. Unless Canucks management secretly feels that dealing Schneider is an option, all signs point to them not wanting to lose Schneider as they feel he's the goalie of the future. Teams like the Lightning and Blue Jackets will undoubtedly jump at the chance to offersheet Schneider so this is a very real threat. The problem is, Gillis can't get Schneider signed until Luongo is dealt. At the end of the day the Canucks are in a very tough position and the only way to come out of this with success is to find a taker for Luongo pronto. When this happens, Schneider will feel free to sign a long term deal and the Canucks will FINALLY be ready to move forward.

Who says Schneider will still be an RFA without a contract come July 1st?

We'll either trade him and the other team will sign him, or we'll keep him and sign him ourselves. Schneider has said he's happy here for the short term as he gets a chance to win, which he might not have elsewhere. He'd likely take a 2 year deal at a reasonable raise from us, and that would allow us to look at moving him prior to the deadline next year, or even at the draft/in the summer as he'd still have another year left on his deal. That way we're protected from offer sheets this summer, plus it's not just a one year deal where he'd be a UFA next summer (which would hurt his trade value).

If you think Gillis will let July 1st roll around without having signed or traded him - or at least have it very close to either eventuality - then you haven't been paying attention.

Archived