The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Schneider Is The Future...

John Garret's moustache

Hello Canucks nation,

I know the goaltender situation has been flogged to death, but I am begging for your opinion on the following theory.

As of right know I believe Roberto Luongo is a better goalie than Corey Schneider, its simple... the guy plays twice as many games, and is far from a fan favorite on any given night... Not to say we don't love Lu... It's just anyone who lives in Canada and has access to the outer world is aware that every action Roberto Luongo takes is divulged thoroughly, a glove save turns into 'Why didnt he take the puck, throw it at Duncan Kieth's head, then assist a breakaway goal?' and although that is a bit

of an overstatement, its not off by much... But to get back on topic, Luongo has to deal with far more stress than Schnieder, which I can guarantee can alter ones performance significantly, yet he still puts up great numbers. Lets look at Luongo's stats

Games Played In: 52 Games Started: 51 Min: 3011 GAA: 2.41 W: 29 L: 14 OT: 8 SO: 4 S%: .920 Assists: 0 PIM: 4

But Corey Schneider is an asset we cant overlook, And I have no trouble believing, and almost no doubt that in 2 years Schneider will be a superior goalie to Luongo. His numbers are already FANTASTIC! I mean look at these

Games Played In: 30 Games Started: 26 Min: 1677 GGA: 1.97 W: 18 L: 7 OT: 1

SO: 3 S%: .937 Assists: 2 PIM: 0

So my question is, why would we even consider Luongo over Schnieder, Corey is our future... Luongo will be done in 5 years, while Corey is still riding his prime! There's nothing I hate more than watching a former Canuck, especially one we lost young, dominate elsewhere. And In six or seven years I don't want to look at (INSERT TEAM HERE) with Schneider dominating in net, meanwhile Luongo is retired after serving the last few years of his career with a 5.3 cap hit as a marginal backup... Canucks fans, our future doesn't look too bright, after the Sedins and Kesler retire, we're in trouble... our prospect pool is not very deep... and Schneider is one proven person we can put faith in for our future... At the end of the day I think Schneider is the man we need to keep...

Thanks for Reading,

JGM

PS- Grammar Nazis do your best to ignore spelling and punctuation errors, Im just heading out the door.

I agree totally, if we win the cup this year, I say trade Luongo to Florida or Tampa, it's close to his wife and he will have a cup and play with a lot less pressure there till he retires.. Schneider isn't in is prime yet and I'd say he's just about as good as Lu already, I am more confident with Cory in net then Luongo, I am a Luongo fan also.

Trading Schneider will come back to haunt us I believe unless someone massively overpays, he's going to be a top 3 goalie in a couple years imo.

Schnieder will be good, but I do not see him posting these numbers as a starter when having to play most of the games. I think if canucks somehow manage to trade Lu, I think that could bite us too. We all know goalies can be good for longer periods and just look good Thomas was at his age.

Once Schnieder becomes a starter, he won't be the same goalie as he is now playing as a backup with great numbers. Just because he will be playing a lot more games and will have the added pressure of being a teams number 1 goalie.

Schnieder will get a much bigger return making our team better in other areas that are always being overlooked. Goaltending is not a problem and won't be for a while. Just ask yourselves, say Schnieder plays the entire playoffs comming up instead of Lu, does our cup chances change drastically or at all? I don't think so.

Schnieder will be good, but I do not see him posting these numbers as a starter when having to play most of the games. I think if canucks somehow manage to trade Lu, I think that could bite us too. We all know goalies can be good for longer periods and just look good Thomas was at his age.

Once Schnieder becomes a starter, he won't be the same goalie as he is now playing as a backup with great numbers. Just because he will be playing a lot more games and will have the added pressure of being a teams number 1 goalie.

Lu is a fantastic goalie, and right now i would definitely go with him. That being said, i do agree that in the future Schneids will be the guy IMO. I believe he still hasn't reached his prime, lots more to come from him. Either way, w.e happens im positive we'll have an amazing goalie. Heck who knows maybe we'll have both of them here in Van for a very long time :P....Highly unlikely i know, but one can dream :D

Archived