The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Question For Uvic Students On Residency

Hello CDC (:

So right now I am applying for residency at uVic, and I'm kind of confused on where I particularly should be applying.

The options given are:

• Leadership and Civic Engagement—located in the Carroll building (Single and double rooms available)
  • Health and Wellness—located in the Tower building (Single rooms only)
  • Sustainability—located in the South Tower building (Single rooms only)
  • Academic Engagement: Located in Ring Road Hall (Single rooms only)
  • Substance-free: Located in Ring Road Hall (Single rooms only)
  • Quiet Floor: Located in Ring Road Hall (Single rooms only)

I have striked off the two that I for sure will not be applying to. Long story short, I like to party on weekends, I really don't care too much about noise, smoking or drinking. But I do want to be in a building where I'll meet some interesting people.

I wouldn't mind having a roommate, nor would I mind having a single room.

So, to those at uVic, exactly what should I be selecting for my top 2 choices?

Also, any insight on uvic would be great.

If by "interesting people" you mean meatheads who pass out from alcohol poisoning every weekend and those who blast Bob Marley songs in their room at 3am while participating in a drum circle, then UVIC res is for you.

In all seriousness, you say you don't mind noise, smoking, and drinking, but it gets old incredibly fast. By the time you're writing your first term exams, you're going to want peace and quiet. That is, if you don't want thousands of dollars worth of an education going down the toilet just because you want to party with a bunch of, for lack of a better word, losers.

If by "interesting people" you mean meatheads who pass out from alcohol poisoning every weekend and those who blast Bob Marley songs in their room at 3am while participating in a drum circle, then UVIC res is for you.

In all seriousness, you say you don't mind noise, smoking, and drinking, but it gets old incredibly fast. By the time you're writing your first term exams, you're going to want peace and quiet. That is, if you don't want thousands of dollars worth of an education going down the toilet just because you want to party with a bunch of, for lack of a better word, losers.

This.

Parties with a bunch of random people at university are overrated. Get to know people when they're sober.

you like to party in res at UVic?

i hope you like repeating half of first year

Alright, so here's the deal. You don't know anything about me. You don't know that I'm a straight A student, and that uVic is my last option, as I have already been accepted in the University of Western Ontario and other universities outside of BC. As well, I say I don't mind the smoking, drinking, potheads and all of that because all of my best friends since kindergarten are smokers, drinkers and potheads. So i know how to cope with all of that, with out giving into peer pressure.

I definitely will not be repeating half of my first year. Sure I like to party on weekends, but please don't let that define me bud.

Again, that isn't really what I was asking. I understand all that comes with noise, smoking and drinking.

I had an awesome time and met people that i am still friends with to this day. Would I go back and do it again? No because I'm older now and there's no way I'm going to live somewhere like that, but if you are 18-20 and wanting a fun experience it's pretty rad. Lots of D-bags but not everyone there who wanted to party is a loser, lol.

I study and work at UVIC, but to be honest, I have no idea why anyone would want to live there.

It's completely isolated from the entire city and the campus is loaded with extremely obnoxious people.

While UVIC is a good school (great school for some departments), the buildings are generally complete eyesores and, like I said, completely removed from the city.

Dunno why you'd choose to live there instead of a "hip" area around town that's close to things that are actually happening outside of the Bob Marley tunes and drum circles.

I study and work at UVIC, but to be honest, I have no idea why anyone would want to live there.

It's completely isolated from the entire city and the campus is loaded with extremely obnoxious people.

While UVIC is a good school (great school for some departments), the buildings are generally complete eyesores and, like I said, completely removed from the city.

Dunno why you'd choose to live there instead of a "hip" area around town that's close to things that are actually happening outside of the Bob Marley tunes and drum circles.

Wow, really (serious question btw)?

UBC FTW?

Hard to call anything in Victoria "isolated" when you can drive the span of the city end to end in about 20 minutes hahah

Maybe it's because I grew up in Vancouver with Vancouver

• Health and Wellness—located in the Tower building (Single rooms only)
  • Sustainability—located in the South Tower building (Single rooms only)
  • Academic Engagement: Located in Ring Road Hall (Single rooms only)

The Tower buildings are nicer but Ring Road (still a nice building) was better for partying.

i dont remember that

It would've been 2004 or 2005 as I recall...they were way over-capacity because kids were getting in by climbing the trees and bike shelters up onto the roof and dropping down inside the fence. There was a bunch of minors there from doing that because they only checked ID at the gate. Someone pulled the fire alarm at around 2:00 and everyone was crammed between the fence and the building...some guy punched out a security guard and got tackled by a bunch of cops. It was pretty great.

It would've been 2004 or 2005 as I recall...they were way over-capacity because kids were getting in by climbing the trees and bike shelters up onto the roof and dropping down inside the fence. There was a bunch of minors there from doing that because they only checked ID at the gate. Someone pulled the fire alarm at around 2:00 and everyone was crammed between the fence and the building...some guy punched out a security guard and got tackled by a bunch of cops. It was pretty great.

sorry, i was making a lame joke

I was there, but I got so drunk that i don't really remember a lot of what happened lol

Archived