The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Don't Look Now... Canucks Are Favorites For The Prez Trophy.

Hank Moody

After what's been a weird year where our Canucks haven't played at their full potential yet (in my mind), amazingly enough, we are now tied for tops in the league.

Here's why I think we're favorites. Let's look at our schedule:

Vancouver: 3 Games Remaining, 107 points

Anaheim

Calgary

Edmonton

All three teams are out of the race. I fully expect the Canucks to win out, and if not, get atleast 4 out of the next 6 points up for grabs. This would put Vancouver at 111 points. Vancouver now has a purpose to win, as the fate of their Western Conference leading lives atleast are now in their own hands. The reason i want to place first is because I fully expect the 6th seed to trump the 3rd seed (Given the Pacific division's utter strength), and i would rather face a Chicago/Los Angeles/San Jose in the second round than a Detroit.

St Louis: 3 games left, 106 points

Detroit

Phoenix

Dallas

Detroit will be an absolute battle for sure. The Phoenix and Dallas games will have both of those teams at the absolute top of their games vs. the Blues, as every single point now has playoff implications for Phoenix and Dallas. I truly think the Blues will gain, at maximum, 3-4 points out of these games, giving the Canucks an advantage.

New York: 4 Games left, 107 points

Boston

Philadelphia

Pittsburgh

Washington

Once again, all 4 of these games will be absolute battles. Boston is hot once again, Philadelphia and Pittsburgh are red hot, and Washington could be playing that game knowing they absolutely have to win in order to trump the Sabres and make the playoffs. I really doubt the Rangers gain more than 4 points out of these 4 games, and if the Canucks can win out with 6 points, or even 5, they would trump the Rangers.

I truly think the Canucks will take home their 2nd straight President's trophy this season, which is absolutely unheard of for a team that's been plagued by so many questions all year. This team truly is amazing.

....We need Rangers to lose 2 games... so don't count on it.. And teams that are bottom seeds are the toughest opponents for the Canucks. Well, actually their lack of effort is their toughest.. but same thing. Hopefully but don't get your hopes too high yet.

"The reason i want to place first is because I fully expect the 6th seed to trump the 3rd seed (Given the Pacific division's utter strength), and i would rather face a Chicago/Los Angeles/San Jose in the second round than a Detroit."

Just so everyone's clear, there's a strong possibility detroit could finish in 6th. Chicago and detroit are tied in points!

Keep in mind Canucks did lose to the Oilers twice in a row in the last two games last year. But in my opinion now that the Canucks are in a reasonable grasp of adding another trophy to their collection... why not go for it? It adds motivation to the team and that's what we need if we want to win games.

Archived