The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Would Or Should Av Automatically Put Daniel Back On The 1St Line When He Comes Back?

MJDDawg

I would pair them back up. Now that they have gained some confidence and momentum, hopefully they can light it up again when they're back together. If it doesn't work out, then split them up again. Also, since Hank has shown he can be almost as effective without Daniel, why not split them up temporarily during the playoffs at certain times just to throw off the opposing team ?

Splitting up the twins will give us three scoring lines as opposing coaches won't know which line to shut down.

Pittsburgh has had Crosby on the third line since he came back. Puff points against third-pair defenders is a great way to light 'em up. Can't do that unless you have three scoring lines. Cheers.

TOML

This isn't a stupid idea in the least. I actually think it's a great idea if only because the second line has been struggling. Stick Danny on with Kesler and it gives Kes even more of a chance to get his groove back, because obviously the line is not producing as is. Added that deep into the playoffs we need Kesler's production so it's a good idea to give him a jump start now with some confidence building points. I'll add that there's little doubt other teams have been watching how the twins do their thing, as a result they're slightly more aware of their technique for moving the puck. So splitting them up - temporarily - it adds a whole new dynamic to our overall offense, one that other teams haven't had a chance to get a feel for at all.

Temporarily it's a great idea. It will nullify the other teams current Sedin twins defensive strategies, it gives Kes a chance to get some great feeds and more offensive minded plays, and give us another bonafide scoring line.

After a minute though, you gotta put them back together because when they're on their $h!t there isn't a team in this league that can stop them. Juggling those 2 around occasionally though, it keeps the other teams guessing, and it gives more of our players a chance to benefit from both Hank and Danny's individual play-making skills.

They have been effective together in the past but not in recent history. What I notice with Danny out is Hank isn't always looking for Danny to pass to but to whichever Canuck happens to be open. THis is why he is having so much success lately. Hank is so good at seeing the ice and protecting the puck, other teams can't possibly cover everyone so they focus on Danny knowing that is who Hank is looking for.

2 of Hank's assists in the last 2 games came off passes to the trailing defenceman (ALberts and Gragnani). These are guys Hank would normally overlook or pass up instead trying to force a cross-ice pass to Danny or pass behind the net for the cycle.

I say give it a bit more time and Danny on the second can only increase the effectiveness of Booth and Kesler. Nothing stopping AV from putting the twins together later but boy, would this make it hard on opposing teams to shut down our top 6!!

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Booth Kesler Raymond

Higgins Pahlsson Hansen

Malhotra Lapierre Kassian

Weise Reinprect Ebbett

Bitz Volpatti Schroeder

-2nd: Don't worry about Raymond being on the second line. Raymond was on his line last year during the playoffs and he still tore it up. Kesler will enter his own come playoff time and it won't matter who is on that line with him.

-3rd: Don't break this line up. its absolutely perfect.

-4th: Give this line 10+ minutes since they are basically a 3rd line on most teams.

The problem is the Sedins' cycle game, and there's more than 1 ways of fixing it.

Right now Henrik is having success because he's not playing much of a cycle game with Burrows and Lapierre, its much more simplified - Henrik holds onto the puck while one of the other 2 jostle for position in front of the net, the other occasionally fights along the boards to free up the puck for Hank, but he is the determined playmaker on that line so holds onto the puck the longest.

With Daniel coming back I'd like to see Daniel as less of a playmaker and more of a scorer, which means simply less passing from Daniel and more getting into open areas to shoot. Basically, leave Henrik to control the puck and set up his brother. The first pass should always come from Henrik to Daniel, then if another better pass is open for their linemate Daniel can make it, otherwise a quick shot should finish off each play.

Most importantly, Burrows should not play with the Sedins. When all 3 are on the ice they haven't been working well together at all as a unit because all 3 are getting sucked into the cycle game while there is no one moving around in the slot to shoot and no one in front of the net to cause a net presence. Sure they've had some prolonged control in the opponents zone, but no dangerous chances or shots because the only opportunities they can generate when all 3 are cycling are from the points, and with no traffic these shots are easily stoppable. Worst of all is that all 3 often get caught deep on the cycle which is why they've been victimized so many times defensively, because especially Henrik has to skate 200 feet back to check from one net to the other.

I would love to see the Sedins paired up with Lapierre if he keeps his game simple - straight to the net, because he draws plenty of attention away from the twins which is what they want, both on the ice and after scrums. Preferably though, I'd like to see Kassian get a shot with the twins or Bitz to be re-united with them (he did get them out of a huge slump, with the 3 of them scoring 3 goals in 4 periods together), and Bitz is the biggest, meanest guy on our team who would be the best policeman to protect them in scrums or from cheap shots.

As hard as Burrows tries, he really isn't big and strong enough to protect both Sedins, which is where guys like Kassian and Bitz really help out.

I would like to see Booth given a rest before the playoffs. He seems to be taking and making a lot of big hits recently and if Daniel comes back it would let us rest him.

Burr - Hank - Kass

Daniel - Kessler - Raymond

Higgins - Pahlsson - Hansen

Ebbett - Manny - Lappy

In this little write up in the Van Province today, Henrik confirms what a lot of us have posted on this thread already.

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/hockey/canucks-hockey/6394277/story.html

"It forces the Canucks captain to become more creative and, dare we say it, more patient. Instead of those little chip-shot give-and-goes that dazzle and entertain but often end in futility, Henrik is carrying the puck through the neutral zone, gaining the offensive zone through deft stick-handling and that superb vision of his, and then holding onto the puck to set up, or even more amazing, creating chances off the rush with Max Lapierre."

“I'm trying to beat guys, I'm feeling strong and I'm holding onto the puck,” Sedin told reporters after Saturday night's overtime win over Calgary."

The stat line may be pure coincidence, but it's hard to argue with the numbers.

Without Daniel, Henrik has eight assists and is plus-6 in the six games since Duncan Keith played Whack-A-Mole with Daniel's head. In the 14 games up to and including that game at Chicago, Henrik was 0-6-6 and minus-8.

You guys are retarded.

Lets put Daniel Sedin, the best finisher on the team and a really good passer with two people that wont give him the puck.

No we need to put Kesler and Booth with people who can't score to make three scoring lines because when they get the puck they don't give it up.

Putting Booth with the Sedins should have been tried some time during the season, adding speed might make them try to make plays off of the rush instead of just cycling and Booth would not puckhog on the first line.

I don't get to see it much being as I can only watch tv games where I am, but don't the sedins strategize a lot before face offs? Also do any other lines talk about plays in depth before their face offs? Maybe splitting the sedins could bring this tactic to other lines.

I don't get to see it much being as I can only watch tv games where I am, but don't the sedins strategize a lot before face offs? Also do any other lines talk about plays in depth before their face offs? Maybe splitting the sedins could bring this tactic to other lines.

it really all depends on how Daniel performs when he returns.

if he is on top of his game as i suspect he will be, i see no reason why AV should/would split up what has been the top duo in the NHL over the last 3 season. the twins will play with burr on the same top line that brought us to the cup final last year, and things will remain that way throughout the playoffs unless the line fails to produce offensively.

in this case, i see AV keeping it simple with the lines looking like:

Daniel Henrik Burrows

Raymond/Lapierre Kesler Booth

Higgins Pahlsson Hansen

Kassian Lapierre/Ebbet Malhotra

IF the de facto top line fails to produce offensively, and the cycle game turns out to be toothless like many of you are predicting (and i stress the word if) i could see AV splitting the sedins up without much hesitation and going with a more balanced attack of:

Lapierre Henrik Booth

Daniel Kesler Burrows

Higgins Pahlsson Hansen

Kassian Malhotra Ebbet

Archived