The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Scoring Going Down, Down, Down...

Since the lockout, scoring has been going down, even from the NHL official stats, but those stats are skewed and scoring is actually lower than they appear.

Average goals per game

05/06 - 6.17

06/07 - 5.89

07/08 - 5.57

08/09 - 5.83

09/10 - 5.68

10/11 - 5.59

11/12 - 5.46

Before the lockout, it had dropped to 5.14, but averaged around 5.30 for several years.

But the numbers are skewed due to the introduction of the shootout. Every game that goes to shootout adds 1 goal to the winning team, but it's not an actual goal credited to any player. This would drop the average goals per game to levels closer to pre-lockout,

The other indicator is number of player's reaching scoring marks, such as how many 40 goal scorers in the league each year.

Number of 40 goal scorers

05/06 - 11

06/07 - 10

07/08 - 10

08/09 - 8

09/10 - 7

10/11 - 5

11/12 - 2 currently (2-5 being probable)

This season there are also only 25 players in the league that have broken 30 goals.

The leagues stats, with the shootout goals added into total goals masks the fact that scoring is even lower than it seems. We're not that far away from the very low scoring, boring clutch and grab hockey they say they fixed...

I doubt they'll decrease goalie equipment much further.

No way would they make it a penalty to block a shot.

Increasing net size would help, but most people in hockey didn't like the idea.

Larger ice surface doesn't mean higher scores. KHL and SEL average about the same as NHL right now.

Removing the trapezoid means it's easier for goaltenders to play the puck. Making it harder for goalies to play the puck was put in to stop goalies from being like an extra defenseman shooting the puck up...

There isn't much doubt in my mind that they've backed off on calling the obstruction, hooking and holding calls that were so common right after the lockout...

This. It's been a gradual slide, which is reflected in the stats.

I personally find the change of the game a positive thing.

Instead of having 1 guy who scores a million goals, the game has evolved to the point where depth wins championships, instead of simply having Gretzky. Now, teams actually have to build a solid team from forwards to the net. It's not like the game is becoming less entertaining, in fact, games should be becoming more entertaining if anything. More closer and tighter games.

Trapezoid and ice surface arent concerned by the lack of scoring

Talented and skilled players leave the nhl to the khl.

Talented and skilled players retire.

Stop the bleeding to the khl (thx Jagr to show the path), and lets hope there are some diamond in the upcoming era. (yakupov, grig...)

I personally find the change of the game a positive thing.

Instead of having 1 guy who scores a million goals, the game has evolved to the point where depth wins championships, instead of simply having Gretzky. Now, teams actually have to build a solid team from forwards to the net. It's not like the game is becoming less entertaining, in fact, games should be becoming more entertaining if anything. More closer and tighter games.

Increasing the net size seems kind of like a no-brainer.

The net size was determined at a time when goalies were nowhere near their current athletic ability, let alone being outfitted the same. It worked fine at that time, but it is obviously quite different now. Goals are the most exciting part of the game. Why not make a step which would generate more of them, while still keeping the game virtually unchanged?

I also would be a fan of less tolerance on hooking/holding. Don't know why the league has allowed that to creep back in.

I think you'd be in the minority. I don't know anyone who is excited to watch teams with 20 goals scorers, people get excited and want to see star players score. Do people watch games to see if Cooke will become a 20 goal scorer or to see Malkin become a 50 goal man?

And actually, looking at 100 point men is nasty too...

05/06 - 7

06/07 - 7

07/08 - 2

08/09 - 3

09/10 - 4

10/11 - 1

11/12 - 1 (maybe 2)

It isn't a requirement for a close game, to have star players hooked and held until they're incapable of doing the things that made the team sign them. Games can be close while there are goals scored, and more importantly, while entertaining goals are scored.

It isn't more entertaining to see a great team reduced to a crawl by a far inferior team, in the name of parity.

Archived