The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Draft Ideas

CanKnucklehead89

I know the playoffs haven't even started yet but I've been reading about the upcoming draft and am excited for the possibilities.

If/When Schneider is traded I see him going to Columbus, the Islanders, the Lightning or maybe Toronto. In my mind that teams top draft pic would have to be the centerpiece of the deal with maybe something else coming from our end if it means Columbus' 1st overall pic.

To me this is a likely play for Gillis to make because it offers the team a rare opportunity to get younger and better (or at least not worse) at the same time. With this in mind who do you all think would be the best player for the Canucks to take with a top 5-10 pic?

Nail Yakupov is obviously pretty awesome (imagine him on the Sedins' RW) but I really like Mikhail Grigorenko, yes he's another center but he could be put on the wing, at 17 years old he's 6'3 200 lbs and can score heaps which would be pretty awesome to see skating beside Kesler and Booth.

Then there's Ryan Murray who's being hailed as the next Scott Niedermayer, with Salo most likely retiring this year, next year at the latest he would be a great asset to the team. I know we have a number of defense prospects but you can never have too many good defensemen and a Scott Niedermayer caliber player doesn't come along very often.

How about Tampa? They have 2 first rounders and 4 second rounders (I think). They really need a goalie and we would probably get more than just draft picks as there picks aren't as high. But as of right now there #1 pick is 9 overall, which isn't too bad.

i could see lu, waiving his no trade clause to go back to florida or tampa bay...his contract is not as bad as some people think....lu has an out clause in two years and the team has an out in 3 more years...the luongo's spend their summers in florida and plan to live there when lu's playing career is over......would lu say no to that, if the opportunity arose?

I think it's possible, those three teams all really need a goalie and I think that the general consensus around the league is that there isn't a better goalie available.  I don't think it's guaranteed by any means but I do think that it is a possibility.

Our predictions of trading for a top pick and picking a top-tier Defense prospect may need to be re-evaluated if we are able to land Justin Schultz. If we can get Schultz (a right side dman) to partner with Edler, out pairing would be

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - Schultz

Gragnani - Tanev

That would be sick sick defense.

There is a possibility of MG trading Luongo instead of Schneids (really, depends on the playoff performance from both).

Ballard seems to be a deadweight, and may well be traded.

Interesting what we do with Raymond; I'm sure we want to give guys like Sweatt and Schroeder a chance to play too.

Our predictions of trading for a top pick and picking a top-tier Defense prospect may need to be re-evaluated if we are able to land Justin Schultz. If we can get Schultz (a right side dman) to partner with Edler, out pairing would be

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - Schultz

Gragnani - Tanev

That would be sick sick defense.

There is a possibility of MG trading Luongo instead of Schneids (really, depends on the playoff performance from both).

Ballard seems to be a deadweight, and may well be traded.

Interesting what we do with Raymond; I'm sure we want to give guys like Sweatt and Schroeder a chance to play too.

If I had a top 5 pick no way would I trade it for a goalie. If you're that bad, a goalie isn't going to do as much to build your team as a top 5 pick would. Someone like Schneider fits a lot better on a contending or close to contending team that needs better goaltending to take the next step.

Luongo would waive to go to Montreal too!! i know they have Price (just suffered a serious concussion btw) but people who say he can't be moved are being unrealistic, everyone can be moved!! Where there's a will (and money) there's a way.

:picard:

Luongo is NOT going to Montreal. No how, no way. That's just ridiculous.

The only place you'd ever seen Luongo waive his NTC for would be Tampa. Even that is a massive stretch. Not happening.

It's no secret which teams are into Schneids. It's really a matter of Gillis hashing out the real deal for him.

Archived