The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anti-Nhl Fighting Presentation (Need Help Please)

nd84

Hey guys I am doing a presentation basically making a 5 minute argument on why I think the NHL should ban fighting

I don't necessarily support this 100% but my goal is to find as much info to make a strong argument and have people take some things into consideration

This class focuses on the elements of mythos,pathos,ethos

Basically mythos means i need to state what the majority of people feel aka the tradition (fighting is part of the game)

pathos and ethos is my ability to engage the audience and draw emotion (sad articles, videos?) and create a good relationship with the audience as well

Anyone know any good references I can use

So far I have looked into the ex NHL enforcers who are advocating for banning fighting in the NHL

I also wanna try to make a point regarding penalties and how they're meant to somewhat eliminate certain plays in the game (fighting eliminated? is it needed?)

Is there anything in the rulebook that states the purpose of penalties or the reason why fighting is penalized? (Can i use this for my argument/presentation?)

Anyone have any good points that I can include that can be supported from a document, book or online source?

Thanks you for reading and helping out!

I can give you points on why fighting should be in the NHL, to counter George Laraque's nonsense.

Fighting is an option. You don't have to. It provides people with the opportunity to play in the NHL, where otherwise they wouldn't be able to if there wasn't fighting.

George Laraque would not have been in the NHL if there was no fighting, and the dude would proooooobably be begging for it to be allowed.

If you don't want to make $500,000+ / year to fight, and play minimal hockey, then don't. The options there. No one is putting a gun to anyones head.

Furthermore, there's professional boxing fights, and MMA fights all over the world.

These go on for much longer, and are much more dangerous, where as an ice hockey fight rarely has any immediate impact.

If you, as a player, feel like you're fighting too much, go down to the ECHL/AHL, and please stop whining.

Honestly I haven't really heard any good reasons why fighting should be banned, at least in my biased opinion. Most of the arguments against fighting seem to come from an uneducated point of view about hockey. People who aren't familiar with what's really going on see it and jump to conclusions. 98% of NHL players want to keep

fighting, I think that speaks for itself.

would you any of you say that penalties are designed to make the game exciting, and punish players for breaking the rules?

would you say that penalties exist to ELIMINATE CERTAIN PLAYS from the game? (certain plays as in all plays that can considered a penalty INCLUDING fighting"

what about some claims that it is barbaric?

hockey is not about solely about fighting. fighting is involved in it by popular culture

majority of people like fighting because of the intensity it brings and also majority wanna see huge punches thrown and a knockdown (not too much technical stuff like watching techniques of grabbing, footing, etc)

compared to ufc and boixing. the fighting aspect is the sport itself and it is predetermined and organized, im sure many people watch it for the technical aspect, at least more t han people who watch hockey fights

AGAIN I DON'T FULL SUPPORT THIS IT'S JUST MY PRESENTATION

i'm just trying to find the best evidence and best points to give to my class

if you want fighting out of the game, then you NEED to make the game non-contact. you would have to take out bodychecking, you would need much steeper penalties for slashing and crosschecking and things like that.

otherwise people would take liberties

edit: i guess the correct term i was looking for was limited-contact

I'd like to see your presentation when done.

I for one don't believe in fighting in the NHL....that is, the penalty isn't stiff enough.

Hockey is the only non fighting based sport where fighting is condoned. (5 minute penalty is a joke).

In every other non fighting based sport (football, soccer, basketball, baseball, etc...) the penalty for fighting is ejection.

There is no "fighting" section of any "how to play" nor "how to teach" hockey books that I have seen.

Again, I'm not against the fighting - I'm against the penalty.

For those that say "go watch figure skating or lawn bowling if you don't like fighting" why don't you go watch UFC instead if you want to see fighting.

I think maybe there's more respect in football, i don't know. All i know is that almost every time you see a big hit (in the nhl), then you see a scrum, and scrums often lead to fights. Not all the time, but often enough

this was at the football comparison before your edit haha

I'd like to see your presentation when done.

I for one don't believe in fighting in the NHL....that is, the penalty isn't stiff enough.

Hockey is the only non fighting based sport where fighting is condoned. (5 minute penalty is a joke).

In every other non fighting based sport (football, soccer, basketball, baseball, etc...) the penalty for fighting is ejection.

There is no "fighting" section of any "how to play" nor "how to teach" hockey books that I have seen.

Again, I'm not against the fighting - I'm against the penalty.

For those that say "go watch figure skating or lawn bowling if you don't like fighting" why don't you go watch UFC instead if you want to see fighting.

I did a presentation on this last term in a form of a debate. PM me if you really need help formulating an argument.

Arguing that fighting should be banned is easier than arguing it shouldn't be. I won the debate by a wide margin... (obviously the votes were based on who was more convincing... I even admitted afterword that I did not really believe it should be banned).

Well the football comparison I made was before your edit, hehe.

Had to leave something there.

Anyways, the refs do have a tool in their belt called "unsportsmanlike misconduct" If you went to the box everytime you tried to start a stupid ruckus after a whistle, you'd stop or be benched.

I don't believe the NFL has more respect, I think they don't want to be suspended.

Archived