The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Van - Tbl, Van - Njd

Firstly, this isn't a "trade Luongo cause he sucks" thread, I actually think he gives us the better chance to win now because of his skill and experience. Schneider is phenomenal goalie who is reaching his prime and if the Canucks win the cup its a no brainer to keep him over Luongo.

I realize the most likely and easier option will be to trade Schneider instead of Luongo, but I think if Luongo brings us a cup the Canucks would want to keep Schneider simply because he is younger.

Luongo would already have a cup, so I think he would be willing to waive his NTC to go back to Florida and play on a good team.

To Van: TB 1st 2012, Brett Connolly, Teddy Purcell

To TB: Van 1st 2012, Van 2nd 2012, Roberto Luongo, Mason Raymond, Anton Rodin

With the addition of Pahlsson, Manny is now expendable. He is a great face-off man and an awesome guy but I feel he is the odd man out.

New Jersey is second last in face-off percentage this year, so Manny will definitely help them out.

To NJD: Manny Malhotra, 4th

To Van: NJD 2nd 2013

Sign Justin Shultz on July 1st.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Purcell - Kesler - Booth

Hansen - Pahlsson - Higgins

Connolly - Lappy - Kassian

Bieksa - Hamhuis

Edler - Salo

Tanev - Schultz

Schneider

Lack

I like it, I would only counter that I think we're more likely to keep Schneider if Luongo falters in the playoffs and Schneider carries us deep, not if Lu wins the cup for us.

Either way, instead of trading for Connolly and sticking him on the 4th line, maybe switching Tamps's 1st for Detroits 1st and throwing in Hedman instead of Connolly would work?

I hear what you're proposing. I, however, do not think Connolly is the guy we should be targeting. He will definitely be a great player but he puts us exactly in the tough spot that we had with Hodgson. A young natural center who is tried to be converted to the wing. In Tampa he is stuck behind Vinny and Stamkos so they move him to the wing. In Vancouver its behind Henrik and Kesler.

I like the addition of Purcell and the first but don't think Connolly is what we are aiming for.

I am starting to feel like New Jersey may be the place for Schneider if Brodeur retires. I would absolutely love to get Adam Larsson from them but that is highly unlikely. I would be willing to trade Schneider and our first rounder for him.

Luongo would already have a cup, so I think he would be willing to waive his NTC to go back to Florida and play on a good team.

To Van: TB 1st 2012, Brett Connolly, Teddy Purcell

To TB: Van 1st 2012, Van 2nd 2012, Roberto Luongo, Mason Raymond, Anton Rodin

With the addition of Pahlsson, Manny is now expendable. He is a great face-off man and an awesome guy but I feel he is the odd man out.

New Jersey is second last in face-off percentage this year, so Manny will definitely help them out.

To NJD: Manny Malhotra, 4th

To Van: NJD 2nd 2013

While I wouldn't mind the trade, I'm not sure that TB would like this trade. I also wouldn't count on Luongo agreeing to a trade just so he could play closer to home. However, let's assume he is okay with being traded and approaches Gillis about being moved (and it would have to be a Luongo motivated trade due to his NTC).

The Lightning are a semi re-building team who will likely be in the playoffs next season with better goaltending, so Luongo could fit with them. However, I suspect they would prefer Schneider to Luongo, partly due to age and partly due to cap hit. Further, the amount of young talent and size TB is moving out is rather significant compared to the return they are getting back in Raymond and Rodin. The loss in draft position is also rather significant for a team in their position.

If the Canucks were to approach TB with the idea of trading Luongo, Yzerman would know that he likely had a very limited number of competitors on this deal, perhaps even none. (He knows that Gillis has stated he would never ask a player to waive a NTC.) This puts him in a strong bargaining position. Why should he give up the farm to take Luongo off of the Canucks' hands? Yzerman could likely find a decent goalie for a much cheaper price (eg. LA has two young guys, or he could do a rental of Thomas for one season and maybe an extension).

I don't see him wanting to trade away maybe 20 draft positions, and a decent prospect like Connolly, and then have to throw Purcell in on the deal as well. Their counter offer would be something very much less and, if Gillis was at all serious about moving Luongo, he would take it.

Vancouver would give up their 1st, Luongo, a prospect and/or additional picks. If TB gives up a 1st, it would be the Detroit pick and not their own. I do not think they'd part with Connolly, but they might give up Purcell. Vancouver gains around $3 million in cap space which is like getting another player.

Pahlsson is a UFA after this season. There is no guarantee that he will re-sign with the Canucks, or that Gillis will even offer him a contract. Malhotra does have a limited NTC, What if he doesn't want to be traded to NJ? And even if he did, what if NJ didn't want him? They could offer a contract to Pahlsson and keep whatever assests they'd have to give up to get Malhotra, no? And since NJ would be aware that Malhotra has a limited NTC, the power structure in the bargaining process would be skewed in their favour, just as with the Luongo going to TB scenario.

regards,

G.

Archived