The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Absolute Classless Reaction Of Lu Pull.

smackyo23

Yup. I noticed.

I agree, the booing and over-cheering was classless. Glad I was at last Saturday's game when we beat Calgary. I'd have been embarrassed to be in the arena on Tuesday. But I guess for some all losses are his fault, and all wins are in spite of him. It's just sad. He's not perfect, but his play has helped this team to playoffs 5 out of his 6 years. Don't you think he deserves a little respect?

I DON'T GET IT! How is cheering for Schneider classless? Cheering for Schneider IS NOT THE SAME as jeering Luongo (you can cheer for both, at the same time). The media tries to put a negative spin on things, but I was in the building. The crowd was cheering for a very popular back-up goalie coming into the game to try and pull out a win.

Everyone is over-reacting. If schneider was pulled im sure the crowd would have cheered on Luongo when he came into the game. Am I missing something?!

Says who? Because I haven't seen anyone outside of those this thread defending this kind of childish behavior saying that. The players certainly didn't think that. (Schneider went on record in the media saying he knew they were booing Luo and that this kind of treatment of Luo is "getting old.") The media certainly didn't think that. (i've read stories on at least 3 different sites about the game and all of them sayed Luo was booed. No one said "the team" was booed.) And it's just common sense. Not only has it been Luo specifically and exclusively that has been booed in the past, if they were booing the entire team, why cheer when Schneider stepped onto the ice? The only reason to cheer that player is that you believe the one he was replacing was the problem.

So you can't cheer for one goalie without jeering the other? Should we never cheer for golaies then in fear of hurting the other ones feelings? I cheer for all Canucks, and when CS steps on the ice to help our team win, im going to cheer my ass off for him. I was in the building that night, I cheered for Schneider, I was not jeering Luongo

I was rather specifically talking about Luo being booed and then Schneider being cheered. Context is important. I obviously was not saying "don't cheer for anyone but Luo."

And sure, cheer Schneider all you want. He's awesome and does plenty to deserve cheers. But, it needs to be a cheer for him, not a reaction to something else. Everyone knows he was only being cheered by and large because he was replacing Luo (who had just been booed off the ice), not out of support for him. He knows that too, so it does nothing to bolster his confidence or spirits. Again, context is important. Had Luo not been booed, cheering for Schneider would have just been nice, but put in the context of Luo being booed off the ice and Schneider being cheered looks like it has nothing to do with him and everything to do with Luo and frankly they both deserve better than that.

I was watching game 6 of the SCF in rogers arena when Luongo got pulled, i can honestly say i was cheering for Schneids rather than booing Luongo.

Seriously though, the last thing the goalies need is to have their own fans get into their heads. Let's cheer em both and be over with!

you contradicted yourself there... 'we buy products which proceeds go to the team... the team pays the salaries'. owning car dealerships, you have to have that kind of mindset, the profit from every sale my employees make essentially pays me. this is not unlike the 18,466 seats in Rogers arena and the countless number of merchandise sold, which essentially pays the players, if there were no fans there would be no millions for the players.

I DON'T GET IT! How is cheering for Schneider classless? Cheering for Schneider IS NOT THE SAME as jeering Luongo (you can cheer for both, at the same time). The media tries to put a negative spin on things, but I was in the building. The crowd was cheering for a very popular back-up goalie coming into the game to try and pull out a win.

Everyone is over-reacting. If schneider was pulled im sure the crowd would have cheered on Luongo when he came into the game. Am I missing something?!

Actually, I did not contradict myself. It would have been easier if you had read my many posts in this thread answering the specific issues you brought up, but since I can only assume you read as far as the single post you quoted I'll repeat some of what I've said in other posts.

Sports is not a service based industry. It is a product based industry and we buy products by choice. We see a shirt we like, we give a retailer money and they give us a shirt. If the t-shirt has a hole in it when you get it home, you can complain with the retailer and perhaps get your money back or get a replacement because you paid for a wearable t-shirt. You cannot, however, return it because the team played badly in the game that night. You paid for a specific product, not a service.

Likewise, when we buy tickets we get seats to see a game but there is no guarantee it will be a good game or even that the big name players will show up at all. You get to see a game. That's it. No one is promised any outcome nor given any sway or say with the team.

Perhaps as a car dealership owner you have that mindset that every customer pays your salary and therefore should be treated as if they were your sole customer (whether or not giving every person who walks through the door and spends a loonie that kind of power over your business is a good idea or not would be up to you), but the vast majority of businesses are not run that way.

As I said in previous posts, of course fans contribute most (though not all) of the profits, but we do so collectively, not as individuals. And that is where people get confused. No one has the right to say, "I pay your salary" because they do not. If you stop buying their stuff today I guarantee you everyone will still be getting paid without a problem. And no one has the right to say "fans pay your salary" as a means to give their individual voice and opinion the weight of all fans' support and dollars because you do not speak for anyone other than yourself. Fans as a collective may pay their salaries, but individual fans do not. In reality, they bought a couple of shirts and a pair of tickets, so they didn't even pay for the Zamboni driver for a single practice, much less every salary for every player on the team. WE collectively paid for that, but WE collectively do not speak with a single voice. All any of us can do is speak for ourselves and our own dollars. You can only speak for your own dollars and your own support, not mine and not anyone else's. Your voice with the team is only as big as you have the ability to hurt their bottom line, which isn't likely very much given the number of fans who contribute to it.

Yes, you clearly proved my point... you said we as fans pay the salary of the players (for the most part)... I never said I pay Luongo, because despite the thousands I've spent on the Canucks in 8 years as a season ticket holder, or the 150 bucks I spend on a jersey for my son, or the 25 bucks I spend on a hat, Its all minuscule in the big picture of a centi-million dollar sports team, and if I died tomorrow there are thousands of people who would gladly take my seasons tickets, and 2 more people the next day who go to the team store and buy a jersey and a hat. No one person, except the Aquillinis can say they pay the players, but, as you said before, when speaking on behalf of the fan base saying "We play the players" is not untrue at all

I believe you missed the point of my posts entirely. Ignoring the fact that saying we pay their salaries is akin to saying chickens make omlets because they make the eggs that are used, no one is empowered to speak on behalf of the entire fan base. If all anyone said was, "We pay the players," I would disagree but that would be the end of it because that is the end of the thought. However, that is not what happens. Instead, people say that as a means of giving the weight of the collective "we" to their own personal opinion. And no one has the right to do that.

Archived