The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Parents Divorced, What Are My Options As A Teenager In Bc?

SuperGarfield

I am 16, and currently live with my mom. We live in a house 25 minutes away from the high school I attend, meanwhile my father lives about an hour away from my school. My mother is unable to pick me up until 3 hours after my school ends due to her work. On top of that I have a commitment to a school sport, with practices occurring 4 out of the 5 school days per week (half of them start at the time my mom would pick me up after work.) I go almost 8 hours without a proper meal at home on days like these. Not to mention my parents expect me to have high grades and eventually attend a good university, so homework time is cut into. Last but not least my sleep is deprived, and my mom expects me to begin driving to school when I get my drivers license. As I recall, driving when you're tired is dangerous. However, there is a solution. My father's parents are open to moving to the city where I go to school, meaning I would live with them and be able to come home each day after school within 10 minutes; as well as getting to school within that time frame. This is only a dream shattered by my disagreeing mother. She is reluctant to the idea, firmly stating we have a routine. I am frustrated and unsure of what I should do. It is clear to me I need to move to the city where I have my school, sports, and friends. I believe part of the reason she will not let me live with my grandparents is because she will no longer receive money for child support. She hasn't bought me a single piece of clothing in over a year, but does pay for my school and home. The amount of food given is weak, and I do not even have a place to do my homework besides my room even with the fact that my house is of good size. I feel like I am stuck with no options. Is it possible for me to choose to live with my dad, and then move into the city with his parents? I would not even mind seeing both parents on the weekends. Please help.

Archived