The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Av Not Considered For Jack Adams?

bass19

Jack Adams Award Candidates  

168 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Anyone who doesn't give AV some credit for our success this season is an idiot.

Everything was stacked against us this season to have an average season. With a short summer, and alot of disheartened players on this team, AV managed to keep them focused, and has helped put them in a position to win 1st in the league for a second straight season.

There are coaches who are more deserving this season, but don't discredit what AV has done with this team. Just because we finished first last season, doesn't mean we didn't have a huge mountain to climb again this season.

AV has been unable to inspire this team all season long... he doesn't deserve to be mentioned, not this year anyway. Granted they are tied for first in the league, but they have played poorly and still won. That's not coaching, that's just a talented team that even at 50%, they are better than most other teams.

Hitchcock is my vote... the Blue's have been a doormat for as long as I can remember, and now they are tops in the league. Kudos to Hitchcock.

Guest The Brown Burrows

Anyone who doesn't give AV some credit for our success this season is an idiot.

Everything was stacked against us this season to have an average season. With a short summer, and alot of disheartened players on this team, AV managed to keep them focused, and has helped put them in a position to win 1st in the league for a second straight season.

There are coaches who are more deserving this season, but don't discredit what AV has done with this team. Just because we finished first last season, doesn't mean we didn't have a huge mountain to climb again this season.

AV's done well, but there are too many coaches who've had better years. Hitchcock should win this easy. McLean and Tortorella should be finalists. AV is somewhere near 5th behind those three and Trotz.

^Too much homerism

Honestly the following have done a much better job. (self-explanatory).

Hitchcock, MacLean, Dinenn, Tortorella, Tippett, and Trotz.

A.V. , Babcock, and Bylsma have all done a great job with their teams but compared to the above it's not even close.

* These 3 all lost star/key players for stretches...

Guest The Brown Burrows

Learn to read. I said there were more deserving coaches for the award this season.

The fact remains the same that AV has done a great job this season, like it or not.

AV deserved to win last year, because he took his team from a team fighting for 8th to a top of the league team.

I feel the Jack Adams award is normally (and pretty rightly so) to coaches who managed to take struggling teams, and exceed expectations. This is why Hitchcock probably will win, for turning around a bottom St Louis team into a top team.

As great of coach as AV is, he took the team to that level last year, so it would be expected that the team would match. That's not to discount the difficulty of pulling together this season to match the pressure, of course, only to point out that he already won the award for this team.

There's a reason coaches like Mike Babcock and Dan Bylsma don't win every year, despite having great teams every year.

The reason Trotz gets a nomination is because he consistently takes a Nashville team with very little talent (moreso this year) into the playoffs, even though they probably could be a bottom feeder. That being said I don't think he deserves the win this year, as his team is much better than in years past, and Hitchcock really deserves the win.

I think that in order to win the Jack Adams,one of the criteria is that you have to overcome severe odds,and have your team make an impact.

Hithcock completely turned around an underachieving St Louis squad into an elite team (he gets my vote)..Paul Mclean would be runner up,his team was projected to be at the bottom of the eastern Conference.

Barry Trotz no longer has an odds and ends team that he brings respectability to.He has elite players..so I'd be really surprised if he was nominated at all.

When AV won it in'07..we were projected to finish 10th in the W. Conference(with the likes of Jeff Cowan and Ryan Shannon)..we lost in the 2nd round(Luongo was unbelievable).

I think that in order to win the Jack Adams,one of the criteria is that you have to overcome severe odds,and have your team make an impact.

Hithcock completely turned around an underachieving St Louis squad into an elite team (he gets my vote)..Paul Mclean would be runner up,his team was projected to be at the bottom of the eastern Conference.

Barry Trotz no longer has an odds and ends team that he brings respectability to.He has elite players..so I'd be really surprised if he was nominated at all.

When AV won it in'07..we were projected to finish 10th in the W. Conference(with the likes of Jeff Cowan and Ryan Shannon)..we lost in the 2nd round(Luongo was unbelievable).

The best part of this thread, is unlike other threads of late on this board - it hasn't become about Schneider or Luongo in any way. :lol:

AV is a stable coach, who in my mind doesn't get enough credit from the majority of the fan-base. Understand, his interviews and his interaction with the media have been far better than other coaches in recent memory - and he still manages the respect of his players. Management, supporting staff, and players have all built a great culture in that Canuck organization and IF we win a Cup in the near future - one reason will be because our coaching (line-matching, prep work, assignment specifics, plays, time-outs, goal-tending decisions etc.).

It's hard to give the Jack Adams award to great coaches on great teams...it's generally given to the perceived coach/team who most exceeded expectations. Vis-a-vis, St. Louis and Hitchcock. While I respect that Ottawa was expected to lottery pick pre-season, and they're going to play in the playoffs, what hitchcock has done with his system, and his planning - they can be dangerous this post-season. Depth and defence kill

hitchcock all the way...av already came in to the season with a stacked team and pres trophy winner...where we are as a team right now is nothing less than expected of him.

hitchcock on the otherhand took what was a pretty low spotted team definately struggling and brought them up to the top. i mean the top, not just a contender competeing for the 8th spot or a team worth taking some notes on before playing but to the top! he def deserves it hands down.

The only odds that I think were against St.Louis was staying healthy. That's the only thing IMO that has kept them from being a top team. That and goaltending.

They've got a ridiculous amount of young talent, and when you add two good goalies like Halak and Elliot, I don't think anyone should be surprised they're having success. Although I'm not sure anyone saw them having this much success.

My vote would go to Maclean though. That team was all but ready to be blown up, and he's turned them into a playoff team.

Archived