The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nhl Realignment Is Still An Issue

Everyone has stopped talking about the NHL realignment (because of the obvious looming playoff excitement). Sadly, I wish this weren't the case. Just because the NHLPA is battling the league over realignment, that doesn't mean it's dead in the water.

Last year the west was the NHL's best conference (west had more points in west vs east). This year is more of the same. The west is 270-94-41 vs the East, and the East is only 266-100-37 vs the West. This means the west wins with 311 points vs the East's 303 points.

If the NHLPA agrees to realignment this summer (which I almost guarantee it will, because they just want to make a show of power in exchange for concessions), then the west GETS SCREWED.

Conference C

Boston

Buffalo

Florida

Montreal

Ottawa

Tampa Bay

Toronto

Conference D

Carolina

New Jersey

NY Islanders

NY Rangers

Philadelphia

Pittsburgh

Washington

If you look carefully, all the NHL has done is moved winnipeg to the west. That's it. So now the west 16 teams vying for 8 playoff spots instead of 15 teams.

I know this argument has been brought up before, but it shouldn't be ignored. Fans of Canadian hockey should seriously care. This just favours Gary Bettman and his eastern conference favorites. Fans need to voice their opionions. The team that comes in 5th place in each of the 8 team conferences is gonna lose their #$@! if this happens.

Go West Go!

The Conference C looks so screwed up. Haha. You have a NE division-like alignment and then you suddenly add a couple Floridan teams to it.

EDIT: WAIT, didn't the NHLPA reject this proposal already in like, January? :huh:

EDIT2: I vaguely remember an article saying the because the NHLPA rejected this alignment, there will be no change until 2013-14. Please correct me if I'm wrong or if any news came up after the rejection...

Maybe it's because I'm an Eastern Conference team fan but I don't understand where this whole "Our conference is better than your conference" idea came from. I hate the other teams in the east, they're assholes. Is there some kind of Western Conference bonding over the lack of media attention? It just seems like a my dad can beat up your dad argument.

I hope they go back to Conferences named after Players. I doubt they will, but maybe if they used more modern players.

Ex: Gretzky, Howe, Orr, Lemieux

I just find Geographic references to be so bland.

Maybe it's because I'm an Eastern Conference team fan but I don't understand where this whole "Our conference is better than your conference" idea came from. I hate the other teams in the east, they're assholes. Is there some kind of Western Conference bonding over the lack of media attention? It just seems like a my dad can beat up your dad argument.

The Conference C looks so screwed up. Haha. You have a NE division-like alignment and then you suddenly add a couple Floridan teams to it.

EDIT: WAIT, didn't the NHLPA reject this proposal already in like, January? :huh:

EDIT2: I vaguely remember an article saying the because the NHLPA rejected this alignment, there will be no change until 2013-14. Please correct me if I'm wrong or if any news came up after the rejection...

They should just keep the divisions and conferences as they are.

Division winners are guaranteed a playoff spot, but the top 8 teams in each conference are seeded according to points (and the tie-breakers set in place, ROWs, head-to-head etc.)

I also wish they would make it so that every team plays each other at least once at home and away. Would be so much better that way.

I think they should just keep it the way it is right now and just get Winnipeg and Columbus to trade spots.

I know how Detroit wants to be in the east. But moving them over then that will kill a lot of rivalries. Detroit vs Chicago and Detroit vs Colorado rivalries would be gone.

And all the people who wants FLA, CLB, PHX to move. How about we wait till certain cities are done building an arena first. Quebec City won't be done till 2015. Neither does Seattle.

I dont like Detroit moving to East. They are a main draw in many arenas. West doesn't have many teams that get a lot of national coverage.

But the East already has Pitts, Philly, Boston, Toronto, Montreal, NYR, etc.

Keep Detroit in West. Move NSH or BJs East.

Archived