The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dan Hamhuis-Wow!

Hamhuis2

Yes, I agree wholeheartedly with the OP. He is easily the most underrated Canucks and I think he is the MVP. His defensive zone entry passes are among the best in the league. The breakaway pass he gave Higgins last night was a perfect example.

I knew last year when he went down in the Cup Finals it would hurt the Canucks and I think that injury is the reason the Canucks lost.

lol...yes, you don't need size as a defenseman if you are a Lidstrom. How many Lidstorm is there in the league? Or in the history of the NHL? Look at all the elite #1 defenseman, they all have one thing in common: SIZE. Pronger, Chara, Weber, Byfuglien.

So there's four "elite" dmen? Kind of a selective argument there...here's a few more names:

Duncan Keith 6'1" 200 pounds

Niklas Kronwall 6' 190 pounds

Drew Doughty 6'1" 219 pounds

Erik Karlsson 6' 180 pounds

Kris Letang 6; 200 pounds

Kimo Timmonen 5'10" 194 pounds

Ryan Suter 6'1" 198 pounds

Dan Girardi 6'1" 206 pounds

Keith Yandle 6'1" 190 pounds

Michael del Zotto 6' 193 pounds

Ryan McDonagh 6'1" 216 pounds

Sure, everyone wants the 6'4" 230 pound monster who can skate and move the puck, but there are barely any of those guys out there...I seem to remember guys like Scott Niedermayer and Chris Chelios being pretty damn good, and they weren't huge guys. In the current NHL, I would argue mobility and smarts are just as important as brute size and strength...and I think based on numbers and the way he moves the puck and positions himself, Hamhuis would have to be considered among the top 10-20 dmen in the league.

lol...yes, you don't need size as a defenseman if you are a Lidstrom. How many Lidstorm is there in the league? Or in the history of the NHL? Look at all the elite #1 defenseman, they all have one thing in common: SIZE. Pronger, Chara, Weber, Byfuglien.

Archived