The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Espn] 28 Days Later: Pushing Around The Kings

magoomba

Decent article about the King's mishaps and lack of toughness by Bill Simmons, ESPN.

Excerpt

According to hockeyfights.com, the Kings have been involved in just 33 fights this season. If you've never been to that site before, it's like Rotten Tomatoes crossed with YouTube for hockey fights — not only do they post clips for EVERY fight, their users even vote for the winners. (By the way, if you had told 1980 Billy Simmons that, some day, he would be able to watch any hockey fight that happened and vote for the winner, his head would have exploded.) Just for fun, I tallied up the Kings' voting results. They started the season with two wins, six draws and no losses. From there, things went downhill with a 3-20-2 cold streak that included the Kings losing their last eight fights. They haven't won a fight at home since Mike Richards beat Phoenix's Martin Hanzal on February 16. Trust me, I went to that game — it wasn't exactly an ass-whupping.

Fights don't matter in the playoffs that much. Grit matters more, which the Kings do have. We should be able to handle it though, the Canucks also have a fair bit of grit. I just hope people won't insist that the Canucks are getting pushed around every time there's a somewhat chippy game.

The Canucks better come out in game one like they did against chicago and establish the physical tone, LA likes to hit and we can't let them take the physical initiative in the series. Can't wait to see Edler flatten Doughty, and i wouldn't be surprised if Kesler and Richards kill each other.

The Kings are second in the league in hits.

The Kings have huge bodies up front that will decimate our small defencemen like Hamhuis, Bieksa, Ballard, Tanev and Salo.

The Kings know how to beat us - play the Sedins dirty and physically.

This will essentially be a repeat of the Boston series so lets hope AV has learned his lesson and knows how to beat teams like this, or we won't make it out of the 1st round.

The Kings are second in the league in hits.

The Kings have huge bodies up front that will decimate our small defencemen like Hamhuis, Bieksa, Ballard, Tanev and Salo.

The Kings know how to beat us - play the Sedins dirty and physically.

This will essentially be a repeat of the Boston series so lets hope AV has learned his lesson and knows how to beat teams like this, or we won't make it out of the 1st round.

Archived