The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

"the Diving Abilities Of The Sedin Twins"

Pavel Sedin

Every article about the Canucks being hated never gives legitimate points. They even use the Recci quote that makes NO sense. The article only reference supporters of the Canucks rivals, and the supporters only talk about how the Canucks have the audacity to complain about being cheap shoted. It's not like the Blackhaws and Bruins gameplan was to cheap shot until the Canucks were taken off their game mentally...

Burrows dives. The Sedin's aren't the strongest skaters, but they don't dive. They're knocked down a lot, but their puck control makes up for it.

I think when people talk about "DIVING", they don't take a lot of other aspects of the game into consideration.

The fact that the Twins are mostly skill players, means that these two are going to get hacked, chopped, high-sticked, tripped and punched in the head by players that have but an inkling of talent these two process. Guys are there to injure them.

That being said, the majority of these infractions go unpenalized (especially in the playoffs) simply because the refs can't see everything on the ice.

If there aren't a few big head jerks to spell it out clearly for the officials, we simply aren't going to see our power play half as much as we should.

I find the d-bags complaining about the Canucks diving are the very dirtbags throwing the cheap shots.

The Sedins are amazingly talented and I respect them a whole lot more for NOT adding to the usual bs that has nothing to do with hockey.

Fans unfairly get on them for not getting emotional, but I respect that these two keep incredible composure through these kinds of situations.

This is something I think a lot of Vancouver fans should reflect on themselves.

And for the record, I've seen much more emotion from both Sedins in regards to showing a bit more grit.

Looking forward to the finals!

Christ Letang and Dustin Brown dive way more than anyone on our team. Our team has really cleaned it up this season. I don't really give a damn about diving because every team has dived/embellished at some time or another. What I do hate is teams that go out and try to injure other teams' players. cough*Bruins*cough

Just because someone's head goes flying back sometimes, it doesn't mean they're trying to fake it all of the time. Sometimes when something comes near your head/face, the natural reaction is to jerk your head away. Some people are naturally more jumpy/dramatic when they do it and some do it on purpose. It just pisses me off when you see some players/fans always complaining when a player is just avoiding danger.

I live in Calgary and the fLames fans here are waaaay worse than any Canucks fans I know... everytime there's a Canucks game I get texts saying... "Go (whatever the opposing team is) Go!!"... I hear nothing but crap coming from my friends who are flames fans, dogging the canucks at every chance they can get, yet I bite my tongue, let them spew their crap and they talk about us?... I think its jealousy, thats the only thing I can think of that makes sense to me....

I liked Daniel Sedin's response early this year when asked about opinions of the team, as impacted by antics like diving and the like;

"I think we have to be better, play the right way" and talk will start to go away. Then, paraphrased, we're not too worried about it though... Look, its a bit of a non issue.

Not that Daniel Sedin was going to go toe to toe with Marchand, but he stood and took the punches to draw a penalty; not even scrumming it up to protect himself. Last year you did have the occasional dive, then Torres providing nasty (perhaps questionable) goulish & punishing hits followed by turtling in hopes of a power play.

This year, a major difference, is that as the season has progressed, the Canucks improvement has mirrored their standing together during the play and after the whistle. The start of question marks midway through the season was when they lost to, concidentally (?) L.A>, who bullied, pushed around and abused the Canucks into ineffectiveness. It probably was the start of the end for Hodgson, as MG I am sure noticed he still had to equalize the physical battles (which his pre-season efforts had not accomplished yet).

The next stage, was the (long awaited) arrival of Byron Bitz. He scored 3 points in 2 games with the Twins & laid a beating on Avalanche tough guy Cody Macleod. Then we started to try and incorporate rock solid (play wise) Sammy Pahlsson for Hodgson, Kassian, and tried call ups for Duco. We became harder to play against, but had a post trade deadline lapse as we struggled with the new identity.

But the real turning point, the definitive moment in the season was when AV started to move Burrows around. Higgins deserves credit too, as our most competitive player all year. Over the course of 5 games, Burrows was pulled from the struggling Twins line and rotated between the 2knd & 3rd line, even double shifting him on the 4th. In the middle of our loosing streak, and scoring droughts, there was Burrows; personally offering 2 shots back for every shot taken after the whistle. And he galvanized the team, bringing his team-mates with him. Was it Colorado, or Chicago, where Burrows went back and him, Hamhuis & Booth (?) all ignored an odd man rush and pounded on an opposing player for a cheap shot? Burrows personally went to every line, then back to the first, and showed EVERYONE by example how to compete & stand up for each other.

Even Daniel sent Kieth a message with a cheap shot of his own. I have not seen a Canuck dive, or not answer the challenge after the whistle since. Did everyone take note of good christian David Booth laying a beating on (Jones?) in Colorado??? Not everyone has dropped the goves, but nobody is turtling for calls. And shortly after this lesson in competitiveness we have gone back on our winning streak! Thank You Alex Burrows; my team leader award of the year nominee for his effort / effect!

Edit;

PS. Not that he is not tough; the last guy we need to buy in & take this lesson to a new level is Kesler! He was a Burrows style abrasive guy when he broke into the league. He still imparts more "dirty" shots than any guy on the Canucks (save Lappy?). But he's still not taking challenges; I cant recall how many times I have seen him turn down fights this year! And he is yapping & looking at the ref's after the plays. Dont get me wrong, he does not take crap after the whistle. But It is like he wants the ref's to give him the PP goals he scored last year back?

Funny enough, its him & his line that are the lone group struggling going into the play off's. The ultimate success of the Canucks this finals year, I believe, rests with Kesler. He needs to find that Feist he had in Nashville last year, and which allowed him to have a higher plus / minus & goals than Bergeron, Seguin & Marchand (best line in hockey this year) who have all outplayed him this year. I'd like to see him take a lesson from Jerome Iginla, and take on his the guy who is assigned to dog him without fear. What a message it would send to the team! Kesler, is he the last guy to bring his play off face, is our Stanley Cup key!

VANCOUVER—How is it that the Canadian team with the best chance at the Stanley Cup is one of the most hated teams in hockey? Shouldn’t we love these guys?

Mention the Vancouver Canucks in Vancouver and the love overflows. Mention the same team anywhere else in the league and the venom is palpable.

Non-Canucks fans point to the team’s reputation for whining — GM Mike Gillis was fined during last season’s playoffs for complaining about the officiating — the diving abilities of the Sedin twins, the hair-pulling and finger-biting tactics of forward Alex Burrows.

“They are the most arrogant team I played against and the most hated team I’ve ever played against,” former Boston Bruins forward Mark Recchi told an American radio station last year.

Why exactly are the Canucks so despised? For a second year in a row, the team captured the President’s Trophy as the NHL’s top team and odds are the Canucks will have another extended run in the playoffs with their second chance in as many years of ending up in the finals. The Canucks will begin that quest Wednesday night in their playoff opener against the Los Angeles Kings.

Cambridge, Ont., resident Jim Chaplin says one reason the Canucks are so despised is because they have an inflated opinion of themselves

“This is not a team that goes out and plays tough and backs up their talk. They hide behind officials and they don’t play an honourable, tough brand of hockey,” says Chaplin, who lived in Vancouver in his early 20s and is a lifelong Chicago Blackhawks fan. “Hockey fans love a good work ethic, players who hit and backcheck. Fans like fighters, not chirpers.”

Chaplin thinks the Canucks’ reputation for being a dirty team reaches back years, starting with the 2004 Todd Bertuzzi hit on Steve Moore of the Colorado Avalanche.

Kelly Kirch, program director for Sportsnet 960 The Fan in Calgary, says whenever the Canucks are raised as a topic on radio call-in shows, the response from callers is disdain

“What people don’t like the most about the team, I think, are the Canuck fans. The Canucks fans lose all sense of judgment; they think everyone else is against them and they aren’t graceful when they lose,” says Kirch. “There is an arrogance with the Canucks and while people can respect that they’re a very good team, no one likes them very much.”

That’s why Kirch believes so many fans of other teams like seeing the Canucks lose.

Canucks fan Sean Zandberg, one of the writers for the Canucks blog Nucks Misconduct, cites simple jealousy as the reason his team is so hated.

“The Canucks have been so successful that everything they do is scrutinized,” he says. “No one hates a loser but they really hate the prom king.”

Dont Know if its been posted, I havent posted on here in awhile but anyway I LOL'd pretty hard.

Really suprised you guys don't see why people "despise the Canucks"

Here's a start.

Canucks fan Sean Zandberg, one of the writers for the Canucks blog Nucks Misconduct, cites simple jealousy as the reason his team is so hated.

“The Canucks have been so successful that everything they do is scrutinized,” he says. “No one hates a loser but they really hate the prom king.”

So successful? Like after 40 years of Hockey finally finishing first in the regular season?

Presidents trophys??? Is that all? Cause from all the chirpin i'd swear you won a cup or 10!

Probably not on this board but for the most part fans in Vancouver are only fans beacuse it's cool. Just like skinny jeans and dub step. A couple more years without a cup a desperate Gm the team will find itself in the EXACT same postion as Edmonton, Calgary, and Ottawa. So close yet soooo far.

Christ Letang and Dustin Brown dive way more than anyone on our team. Our team has really cleaned it up this season. I don't really give a damn about diving because every team has dived/embellished at some time or another. What I do hate is teams that go out and try to injure other teams' players. cough*Bruins*cough

Just because someone's head goes flying back sometimes, it doesn't mean they're trying to fake it all of the time. Sometimes when something comes near your head/face, the natural reaction is to jerk your head away. Some people are naturally more jumpy/dramatic when they do it and some do it on purpose. It just pisses me off when you see some players/fans always complaining when a player is just avoiding danger.

Really suprised you guys don't see why people "despise the Canucks"

Here's a start.

So successful? Like after 40 years of Hockey finally finishing first in the regular season?

Presidents trophys??? Is that all? Cause from all the chirpin i'd swear you won a cup or 10!

Probably not on this board but for the most part fans in Vancouver are only fans beacuse it's cool. Just like skinny jeans and dub step. A couple more years without a cup a desperate Gm the team will find itself in the EXACT same postion as Edmonton, Calgary, and Ottawa. So close yet soooo far.

Where the **** does this idea that the Sedins are divers come from? Seriously, I've seen clear dives once or twice in their career but they're made out to be the biggest divers in the league. It's these types of articles that try to put stuff into other fans' heads.

Archived