The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Which Player Is The Most Valuable To The Canucks

D.Doughty

In defense of Lou, yes we have a great backup that may be a better all around goaltender but Lou may need to be our MVP. If he plays bad how much will it hurt us before we switch for the rest of the playoffs. Will it be one bad game, two? It may put the nucks in too deep of a hole to pull out of.

My vote is for Lou.

1. Hank + Kesler. Without either of them, we have to use Pahlsson or Lapierre as a top six centreman, and that's just plain terrifying. Henrik is our best playmaker and instantly makes two forwards produce at PPG rates, and Kesler is a gritty player who does just about everything. I'd say both are equally as valuable to the Canucks.

2. Luongo. Without him, we start Schneider and have Lack as a backup. Both are unproven in the playoffs (the latter unproven in the NHL, period), although that doesn't mean they can't be good. I fully expect Luongo to get a clean slate every series, meaning he starts each series and it's his job to lose. And yes, Schneider will see playoff time.

3. Salo + Hamhuis + Edler. We've been lucky enough to avoid the injury bug for the most part, knock on wood, but if Salo or Hamhuis are missing the defence just doesn't look as good. Edler is mentioned for some variety, as he tends to make the forwards just a little bit better. The Doughty hit swayed my opinion too.

Anybody saying something different than Luongo or Schneider is crazy. Take Manning away from the Colts look what happens... If our goalies play like crap in the playoffs it doesnt matter how good ANYBODY else is, individually or collectively because we won't go far.

Lou? Ah, Schneider could replace him in a heartbeat.

I love Lou, but he is not at the top of this list. CS can do the same job easily IMO.

Hank for sure on offense (then maybe Kes). We have great depth at forward, anybody else can be replaced with moving guys up the line up.

Miss 3 guys or more, we are screwed.

D is the key. Edler, Hamhuis, Salo, Bieksa (in that order) lose one of them. We are in big trouble. Wins are still possible but much harder to achieve. 5/6/7 D men have to play more important minutes = bad news.

This is a horrible question IMO. This is a team game, loosing any player is not good but i'm sure the rest of the team will step it up however they can to fill the gap.

I feel that we underestimate the importance of Bieksa.

He is not just part of the heart of this team but he is a rally-er for the team. He leads by example and provides the ruthless hard hitting grit not only at the back but increasingly in offence. We feed off him in terms of spirit and his never say die attitude.

THIS IS THE KEY TO BEING A TEAM. THIS TEAM SEEMS THE BE THE BEST ONE SO FAR AT PLAYING AS A TOTAL UNIT. WHEN PIECE OF THE PUZZLE IS REMOVED THE REST OF THE TEAM SEEMS TO FLOW INTO THE MISSING SPOT AND HOLD IT TOGETHER UNTIL THE PIECE RETURNS. GO NUCKS GO.

Archived