The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Offseason 2012

Our team this year after the playoffs will look like this.:

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR ROSTER

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m)

David Booth ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)

Chris Higgins ($1.900m) / Manny Malhotra ($2.500m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)

Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m) / Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m)

Keith Ballard ($4.200m) / Alexander Edler ($3.250m)

Andrew Alberts ($1.225m) / Chris Tanev ($0.900m)

GOALTENDERS

Roberto Luongo ($5.333m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $55,078,333; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (17-man roster): $9,221,667

Now I know there will be changes to the next CBA and feel that the cap will actually stay put or round up to 65m.

Now for the wild part of this proposal.....

I believe we should fill out the rest of our fourth line by signing Travis Moen for 1.5m and go for a low risk contract with the potential of a high risk return in Sean Avery at 1.0m. I know you are all thinking really; but look at what AV and our dressing room has done for Lapierre. He was heading down the same road Avery has taken and he has become a vital part of this team with his versatilaty. No one can say a an Avery, Lapierre, Moen line wouldn't have potenial to be a gamechanger line.

I would than sresign Schneider to a 2-3yr contract at 2.5 per season. Yes, we do have the room.

We alow Raymond to sign with another team and take the second round pick for him.

Give qualifying offers to Dale Weise ($665,500) and Marc-Andre Gragnani ($605,000). The values represent what the offer would be according to Capgeek.

For the end of my proposal I would trade Ballard (only because I feel he is not getting a fair chance) and some picks for either Webers rights or Greenes rights. If this did not work; I would offer Ryan Sutter a 6m contract over 5yrs and if he signs it I would than trade Ballard for some picks. Any three of these defenceman I would be happy with replacing Salo. Greene would probably be the cheapest as we could sign him for around 4.5 - 5m with his current issues. Although we could just offersheet either him or Weber or even Karlson for that matter.

If none of this is possible and Ballard stays with us we still have room to bring back Salo at his current price tag of 2m. But I believe Gillis can get it done. This is my potential lineup for next year.:

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR ROSTER

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m)

David Booth ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)

Chris Higgins ($1.900m) / Manny Malhotra ($2.500m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)

Sean Avery ($1.000m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Travis Moen ($1.500m)

Dale Weise ($0.666m) / Anton Rodin ($0.900m)

DEFENSEMEN

Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m) / Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m)

Weber/Greene/Suter/Karlson . ($0.000m) / Alexander Edler ($3.250m)

Andrew Alberts ($1.225m) / Chris Tanev ($0.900m)

Marc-Andre Gragnani ($0.605m) /

GOALTENDERS

Roberto Luongo ($5.333m)

Cory Schneider ($2.500m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $65,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $58,048,834; BONUSES: $110,000

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $7,061,166

As you can see there is plenty of money to sign one of these four with a Ballard trade. Our bottom six would be so versatile that they could slide into any position if a injury was to happen to the top six.

Weber/Greene/Suter/Karlson . ($0.000m)

We're not getting Karlson from Ottawa

Weber or Suter will command 7m - 8m /year, Suter maybe you can get for less @ 6 - 6.5m/y

Mike Greene would be 5 - 5.5m for an injury prone high-risk high reward offensive defensmen.

Also I'm not convinced if Kassian would be ready for a top 6 role...

Either way with your lineup we dont have much room after the salary's for Weber/Suter/Greene are counted and it still leaves a hole in the second line..

Honestly theres no reason for us to keep both Luongo / Schneider, once you get into paying him 2.5m + then that is a waste of cap space for a goalie sitting around for 40+ games. That and we still have a deep goal-tending pool, Lack sounds like he'll be good and Climie is supposedly making strides.

I'd like to see Schneider off for prospects to deepen our depth, and play the UFA market for Radulov (unlikely) / Parise (if he fits under our cap 5.5 - 6m? )

As mentioned, no to Avery, there's a reason he's been through a few different teams. Just because AV is willing to work with Lapierre doesn't mean he can do wonders with Avery. He has no history with Avery, unlike Lapierre, who played for AV on a previous team.

People keep saying take whatever we get in compensation for Raymond as a result of an offer sheet. That's unlikely to happen. First of all, we'd have to qualify him to retain his RFA status so he doesn't just walk as a UFA. Second, he'll likely take that qualifying offer, immediately removing the offer sheet possibility.

I'd rather keep the players we have. Re-sign Bitz, Weise and Gragnani, maybe even Rome if Salo retires and we feel Connauton and Sauve aren't ready yet. Raymond will likely be back, unless he's moved as a part of another deal. Same goes for Ballard. I'm ok with keeping Schneider on as well at a reasonable deal (can't be 1 year, must be 2 to avoid UFA next summer) and we can keep looking at moving him at the next deadline/draft day.

First of all, keep Schneids lose Lou (if possible). Secondly, Avery is an egotisticle a!@#hole with mental issues. I would lose a lot of respect for MG and question his judgement as a GM. That being said, I believe MG is an awesome GM and would not be idiotic enough to sign a headcase like him.

I believe we could get either Suter or Weber. Suter would probably be easier if he makes it to free agency. Weber could be signed if we deal for his rights at the draft. This would only happen if a deal is in place before a trade was made. I would have to think both would be interested if the deal was front loaded and was long term. I think both defencemen are gonna be solid for years to come; I would be comfortable with term as long as the average salary fit.

I like how Kassian looks, but needs to start fresh next season. He does nt look sure of his role on the team or where he fits. If he does come round like we all hope he does, I could see him on Kesler and Booths line next season. If not, he ll be delegated to fourth line duty in favor of another player (possibly Rodin).

I ve heard rumblings that owners may be looking for a one time buyout exemption as part of the new CBA. If this is true, I could see Ballard being part of this group if he can t be dealt. Don t get me wrong, I like Ballards style of play, just not at the price Vancouver s paying.

If Vancouver makes any move other than just taking their picks and being happy with what they have, I think they will choose either one defencive UFA/RFA, or one offencive UFA and go after him. If they don t get their man, I think they ll be perfectly happy with what they have. At least till next deadline day.

Archived