The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Oilers Get First Pick!

Easton76

The Blue Jackets probably need Yakupov more than anyone considering Nash should be gone next season.

If I'm the oilers, I trade my pick to Columbus for the 2nd overall pick and a player. That way they still get a player from columbus and then they can draft Murray on defence. I'm sorry but they REALLY need defence.

I think people underrate Hall. The Oilers are a COMPLETELY different team when he's out of the line up. He's already the heart and soul of the team, the best player and the future captain.

After the first 17 games of the season Hall really broke out. He played at a 45 goal/80 point pace from November until he got hurt. You don't trade a 20 year old that scores at that kind of pace and brings the heart and determination.

Yoiu don't trade Hall, Eberle or RNH just because Yakupov is coming. You trade Gagner, Hemsky or Paajarvi. Besides, Yakupov is a right winger and Hall is a left winger. If anyone becomes expendable, it's Eberle or Hemsky.

Edmonton doesn't have the pieces to be the next Pits. They got nice forwards but they're not going to be able to afford all of them. They have no D, and no goalie.

One of those young guys is gonna have to go.. but still. Offensively? They'll be pretty scary. Until they get a goalie and some defense though I'm not worried.

I think some of you guys are seriously overlooking Dubnyk.

Despite the fact the Oil have 'no defense' in 47 games he put up a 91.4 SVP & 20 wins. He's only 25.

With a better defense in front of him, I think he would be a fine goalie. He's had some struggles/inconsistencies, but the whole team has. The team looked different from night to night, as they get a bit more mature and add a couple of pieces it wouldn't surprise me if Dubbie is the guy in net.

Believe or not, I was totally saying this would happen two weeks ago, with the luck Columbus and Edmonton have. Anyways, this is totally insane, I think this is perhaps the first time in NHL history for the chance of three consecutive 1st overall pick playing on the same line, IN THEIR NATURAL POSITIONS.

The oilers is deadly as early as next season.

I think people are underrating the Oilers prospect pool. Do they have a Doughty or Pietroangelo coming up? No. But they have some decent prospects.

Klefbom- Went 19th overall last season. PLays in the SEL. Made the WJC All Star team as one of the best Dmen in the tournament. Doesn't put up a ton of offense playing in his current role but does have some offensive talent. Plays for the same team as Brodin(10th overall in 2011) and was getting more ice time by the end of the season.

Petry: 24 years old and took a huge step forward in his development this season. Averaged 22 minutes a night which was good enough to lead the Oilers. He was playing about 24-27 minutes a night in the second half of the season. In the final 37 games he had 18 points and was only -2 while playing against the oppositions top offensive players. Definitely has it in him to be a 40 point/2nd pairing Dman. He made Gilbert expendable.

Marincin: 2nd round pick in 2010. Consistently considered a top 10 Dman in the WHL. Brings size and skill.

Gernat: He's similar to Marincin. Both are named Martin, are Slovakian and are 6'4. He had 55 points in 60 games for the Oil Kings this season.

Musil: I'm sure you guys are familiar with him. Tough, stay at home Dman. Has bottom pairing potential.

Tuebert: Another guy that should have a solid career as a #5-7 Dman.

Plus in the NHL, there is Smid. He's one of the most underrated Dmen in the league. He's turned into a very reliable shutdown Dman. One of those guys that can play in the top pairing and allow the #1 Dman more freedom to play his game and not get burned. Nick Schultz is another steady #4 Dman. Whitney is a legit #3 when he's healthy. The question is whether he can stay healthy.

So it's not all doom and gloom. They are lacking a real #1 Dman and a more suitable #2 but it's not like there is nothing there. Lets also not forget that it is possible to give the blue line a make over. Since 2006 the Oilers have had Pronger, Souray, Visnovsky, Pitkanen and now Whitney. All were in their prime when they played for the Oilers too.

As for goaltending...Tyler Bunz has been the 2nd best goalie in the WHL in back to back years. He's a few years away but they have high hopes for him.

I think people are underrating the Oilers prospect pool. Do they have a Doughty or Pietroangelo coming up? No. But they have some decent prospects.

Klefbom- Went 19th overall last season. PLays in the SEL. Made the WJC All Star team as one of the best Dmen in the tournament. Doesn't put up a ton of offense playing in his current role but does have some offensive talent. Plays for the same team as Brodin(10th overall in 2011) and was getting more ice time by the end of the season.

Petry: 24 years old and took a huge step forward in his development this season. Averaged 22 minutes a night which was good enough to lead the Oilers. He was playing about 24-27 minutes a night in the second half of the season. In the final 37 games he had 18 points and was only -2 while playing against the oppositions top offensive players. Definitely has it in him to be a 40 point/2nd pairing Dman. He made Gilbert expendable.

Marincin: 2nd round pick in 2010. Consistently considered a top 10 Dman in the WHL. Brings size and skill.

Gernat: He's similar to Marincin. Both are named Martin, are Slovakian and are 6'4. He had 55 points in 60 games for the Oil Kings this season.

Musil: I'm sure you guys are familiar with him. Tough, stay at home Dman. Has bottom pairing potential.

Tuebert: Another guy that should have a solid career as a #5-7 Dman.

Plus in the NHL, there is Smid. He's one of the most underrated Dmen in the league. He's turned into a very reliable shutdown Dman. One of those guys that can play in the top pairing and allow the #1 Dman more freedom to play his game and not get burned. Nick Schultz is another steady #4 Dman. Whitney is a legit #3 when he's healthy. The question is whether he can stay healthy.

So it's not all doom and gloom. They are lacking a real #1 Dman and a more suitable #2 but it's not like there is nothing there. Lets also not forget that it is possible to give the blue line a make over. Since 2006 the Oilers have had Pronger, Souray, Visnovsky, Pitkanen and now Whitney. All were in their prime when they played for the Oilers too.

As for goaltending...Tyler Bunz has been the 2nd best goalie in the WHL in back to back years. He's a few years away but they have high hopes for him.

Archived