The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Oilers Get First Pick!

Easton76

I agree with Greene above, Petry especially is looking like he can be a decent defenseman. I remember people were saying the Hawks would never win because they didn't have the goaltending. All it took was Niemi to be average for us to win. The Oilers are beyond stacked now, they have quite a few years before any of their young stars hit free agency. It wont take them long to surround them with a decent supporting cast.

I've this story already. How the Oilers have good young prospects in the system. Heard the similar story for the past 10 years. Honestly. I'm not joking here.

"We have good young players

(Insert name here) (Insert age) years old. blah blah blah blah. Very good prospect

(Insert another name here) (Insert age) years old. blah blah blah blah. Very good prospect

(Insert another name here) (Insert age) years old. blah blah blah blah. Very good prospect

I've heard this many times already.

I"ve seen Oiler fans in action at Hfboards.com promoting their young players for 8 years already. Same story over and over again, just slightly modified with different names.

I've this story already. How the Oilers have good young prospects in the system. Heard the similar story for the past 10 years. Honestly. I'm not joking here.

"We have good young players

(Insert name here) (Insert age) years old. blah blah blah blah. Very good prospect

I've heard this many times already.

I"ve seen Oiler fans in action at Hfboards.com promoting their young players for 8 years already. Same story over and over again, just slightly modified with different names.

There is a huge difference now. Its not Oiler fans that will be promoting their young players, they dont even need to. It will be us that will notice. These are not your average prospects. Oilers will be a scary scary team, its not a matter of if its a matter of when.

I really think the NHL needs to change the lottery structure and make it similar to the NBA. The Oilers have taken sucking for picks to a whole new level. They should start discouraging this mentality of losing to enjoy future success. I know this may ring hollow coming from a Hawks fan but this is just downright ridiculous.

Holy damn, imagine this team picks Yakupov

YOu have Hall, RNH, Eberle, Paajarvi, Lander, Gagner, Omark, Hamilton and co....that is starting to look a lot like Gretzsky, Anderson, Messier, Kurri, etc

this is THE team to fear in the coming years.

no sheet, it's different now, there are 3 first overall picks, playing on that team. Now they can get away with saying we have young players in their system. Well yea... any team will have it, after sucking for 3 straight years. That being said, I don't want them to change a thing. You can't do that just because the OIlers actually pulled it off. I personally don't even think it's possible for them to suck that badly. It's quite obvious too, they will probably accused of purposly sucking in order to get those picks. Even PIttsburgh didn't try to suck. They went after guys like Pallfy and Gonchar for the 2006 season (but still sucked).

I was under the impression there were two excellent Russkies in this years draft... Not to mention the fact that the Oil as was pointed out has to sign all these 1st overall picks down the line... Just because the Pens made it work doesn't mean the Oil will.

My problem is it doesn't encourage teams to get out of the basement. Maybe its just my jealousy showing but I hate how the Oilers have pulled this off by years of sucking.

It doesn't matter. They will be holding their rights till they are 27. Even trading one of their forwards will bring in quite a haul. They still have 7-8 years before the first of their top picks hits UFA.

Sir, no team wants to be the last place team in the NHL. They will try to make the playoffs the following season if they finish 1st. All non playoff teams goal is to make the playoffs following year. Is not really an issue, no teams will tank like this, Only the Oilers are willing to pull this effortless way of building a hockey. "the loser way out." There's no encouragement for this. Most teams are self motivated to have a starving to win. The only way you can really elminate this is, teams cannot get the 1st overall pick in consecutive years. That's it. Other then that, I don't think they should change a thing.

The thing is PIttsburgh never had 2 consecutive 1st overall picks. in 2003, they traded up for the 1st pick. They used that pick on a goalie. (Despite being real good, he's not the best player in the 2003 draft) In 2004 They had the number 2 pick. In 2005, there was no season, they probably wouldn't have finished dead last, but it was the lottery year. in 2006, they actually tried hard, by signing Free Agents Zigmund Pallfy, Sergei Gonchar, and John Leclair in an atempt to start winning right away. Something Edmonton probalby never even tried to do. 2 totally different things. And despite all that, they still sucked, and ended up with the 2nd pick. (Jordan Staal). So stop comparing the OIlers to the Penguins. It's degrading for the Penguins Organization.

Archived