The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Called 9-11 For The First Time In My Life Today

Primal Optimist

So, now I am doubting myself:

I turned a corner 3 blocks from home and saw a young guy with a skateboard, bad teeth and a ball cap with some punk band's logo on it arguing with a young gal who was heaving and crying and waiving me down. Now when I was 20 I looked just like this guy, so I am not prejudiced by appearances. But she looked like she had a fat lip and was in clearly trying to get away from this guy.

I pulled over, rolled down the window to see where she needed to go, and if she was in trouble et cetera. She wanted to go a few blocks past my place, and get away from agro punk guy, but as she opened the door....

The guy started waiving his skateboard around like he was going to smash my window or hood with it while screaming every profanity you could think of at me and her he dropped his tobacco pouch which clearly had some drugs in it by the way he quickly snatched it up and stuffed it deep in a pocket, and she said "Thanks anyways, but i better just deal with him before he does something stupid" and i pulled out and went home...as fast as I could to call the cops. She looked like she was hit in the face, and crying and indicating she wanted away from him, until he got really loud and crazy in public.

Now I wonder if I should have called the cops. I guess in the morning if my car is trashed I will know the outcome.

Second guessing my gut instinct sucks. What would you do?

Yeah, i would have gotten out then and there, but there were already 3 or 4 people nearby, and I was on my way home from the dentist with a totally frozen face, hahaha couldn't feel my own tongue enough to try to talk sense into a loud obnoxious threatening guy. I certainly, although more than capable, as a retired army vet, wasn't looking for a fight.

I feel a bit better now, but I really don't like that I had to call them...no good experience ever with the RCMP..and my own brothers a cop, hahahaha

Yeah, i would have gotten out then and there, but there were already 3 or 4 people nearby, and I was on my way home from the dentist with a totally frozen face, hahaha couldn't feel my own tongue enough to try to talk sense into a loud obnoxious threatening guy. I certainly, although more than capable, as a retired army vet, wasn't looking for a fight.

I feel a bit better now, but I really don't like that I had to call them...no good experience ever with the RCMP..and my own brothers a cop, hahahaha

Honestly, if it is an issue of domestic abuse, do you think the girl relying on another man is going to resolve the issue? It's only going to piss off the guy even more and make him obsenely possessive/jealous. You aren't going to be around all the time. When you're not, he's going to be enraged and jealous and beat the crap out of her. Calling the police was the right call.

Honestly, if it is an issue of domestic abuse, do you think the girl relying on another man is going to resolve the issue? It's only going to piss off the guy even more and make him obsenely possessive/jealous. You aren't going to be around all the time. When you're not, he's going to be enraged and jealous and beat the crap out of her. Calling the police was the right call.

did the right thing for sure. even if it was nothing, you can never be too safe.

side note... did you get treated like crap for calling. every time i've called 911 or the non emergency lines, I get treated like I am a big waste of time.

I would've pulled out a gun and shot him... But that's just me.

I personally would have waited around (from a distance) to observe what was going on... and to make sure everything was alright. Next time, call the police right away if you suspect something is up... it's better to be safe than sorry.

I volunteer at a Crisis Line and you certainly have a thumbs up from me. It certainly is a challenging situation for everyone involved and hopefully the presence of the cops helps her understand that she really needs to get away from all this.

Truthfully, while it may not get the exact results you want, it sounds like a nudge in the right direction. We can only hope there are other people, just like yourself, who will let her know that people care about her well being. In some ways, that helps empower the victim and gives them the confidence to realize they deserve better.

With all that said though, without intending any shameless promotion here, I welcome you to give the Crisis Line a call if you would like to talk about it further. Some people seem to get it in their heads that you're not allowed to call us unless you have a razor on your wrist, on the verge of a meltdown, or something extreme. It's welcome to anything though, even just helping you sort out some of your thoughts.

If you, or anyone is interested, Local 604.951.8855Toll Free: 1.877.820.7444

:)

Archived