The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

These Refs Need To Let Them Play The Game

AJG187

I think most of the penalties we got were deserved, so can't really blame the refs.

One weird play happened with just over 14 minutes left in the game... two players were fighting along the boards for a puck and the ref was stuck right there. He gave a noticeable and very forceful shove to the back of the Canucks player which knocked our guy off balance. I guess he must have been whacked in the feet a few times in the scramble and decided he had enough... it did result in us losing the puck though and it seemed like the ref was annoyed.

Before the game even starts, I bet I can accurately predict which team will have the PP advantage based on who is officiating.

I've gone through every reg season game to see how each official has called games. It's disgusting how some officials have 'very clearly' called against Nucks in every game.

O'Rourke (tonights official) doesn't like the Canucks. Short of the Bos game in Jan, O'Rourke calls against the Canucks almost every game he officiates. Tonight is no different.

There are 8 other officials who hate the Canucks: O'Hallaran, Peel, Walsh, Watson, Sutherland, Kozari, Joanette, Leggo. Keep your eye out for these tools.

It seems like the refs in this series will call everything they see resembling a penalty. The playoffs always had poor reffing, nothing new to argue about. I don't know what they need to do to make it more consistent, but this is getting really out of control.

The reffing in the Pit vs Philly game was non existent, ours was called dead every time someone touched a puck or player.

CDC is just as inconsistent as the refs.

last year in the playoffs: "boo! the refs aren't calling anything!! call every penalty you see! the refs won the series for boston because they didn't call enough penalties!"

today: "boo! let them play!! it's the playoffs, come on!! the refs won the game for LA because they called too many penalties!"

do you happen to remember this one, btw?

http://youtu.be/6i1e4KRD9Us

they call it both ways. it's unsporstmanlike and douchy. and honestly they could have called unsporstmanlike probably five times on kesler. the reason vancouver lost is because they committed stupid penalties and got outworked. it's not a tragedy. they will regroup and if they try harder, they will win

nest dumb call by the refs, all fans need to hold their white towel up in the air for the whole penalty (don't twirl it, just leave it hangin). that will get their attention. wait, do fans that acutally go to the game get off their asses?

PS. babcock's comment last night was classic.

Disagree. Make it consistently bad for both teams or make it consistently good for both teams. Just not this typical garbage of 'it's a penalty at the 4:17 mark of the first period but not a penalty for anyone at 12:34 of the third period' crap we see all the time.

<p>

CDC is just as inconsistent as the refs.

last year in the playoffs: "boo! the refs aren't calling anything!! call every penalty you see! the refs won the series for boston because they didn't call enough penalties!"

today: "boo! let them play!! it's the playoffs, come on!! the refs won the game for LA because they called too many penalties!"

do you happen to remember this one, btw?

http://youtu.be/6i1e4KRD9Us

they call it both ways. it's unsporstmanlike and douchy. and honestly they could have called unsporstmanlike probably five times on  kesler. the reason vancouver lost is because they committed stupid penalties and got outworked. it's not a tragedy. they will regroup and if they try harder, they will win

Oh please. Calling everything under the sun on one team while ignoring half the infractions the other team is making is in no way fair and honest officiating. Did the Canucks play poorly? Of course they did. That does not make the referreeing any less blatantly one sided. Oh, but we're not allowed to say anything because that makes us "whiners"?? Please.

When you sit down to watch a hockey game you want to watch hockey duh.

The refs were just calling penalties because they could. The over the board that is obvious wacking Luongo's hand not a penalty, a little snow in Quick's face a penalty. How about the refs call what is absolutely necessary and use their common sense with the rest. At this point I think the higher ups aka Mr. Bettman have already picked who they want in the final because we all know that in his mind it is about money not about the sport. I am 64 years old have watched hockey all my lift got to meet Maurice Richard, Doug Harvey and Beliveau and I really remember the good old days. Please make it about the game again.

Let me break down the penalties for you homer fans.

Higgins delay of game

Edler delay of game

Bitz- boarding

Salo- hooking

You can argue any of these penalties.

Charging on Kassian Lapierre and Stoll.

Yes those were a bit overly sensitive calls, but they called Stoll on the first one so you can't say that they were 'targeting on team'. Sometimes refs don't let teams push the boundaries that much. Players should take note and adjust to the game. Kassian and Laps didn't do that. So stop complaining about these calls. Sometimes the refs are sensitive to certain type of calls and you deal with it. You don't blame refs.

Kesler's snow shower.

Yes that was a bit ridiculous for the playoffs but they were sending him a message. Kesler was obviously getting in the face of Quick early in the game. Kesler bumped quick for Burr's goal which obviously displaced Quick a bit and could have been a waved off goal on an off night. Then he comes in with a snow shower. So i see what the refs intended here even though I dont really agree on it. Anyhow, maybe you guys should be happy that Kesler didn't get called for his diving in this game. That was embarassing, no need for that in playoffs.

Ok, lets look at LA's penalties now

Penner's tripping. If you don't think Sedin went down easy on that, get your eyes fixed. As soon as Sedin felt that stick, he buckled.

Stoll's holding. Give me a break. I saw at least 20 holds like that in the game. That was a joke.

Martinez hook. It also was a very weak playoff call. Not much of a hook there. That was nothing compared to Salo's type of hook.

In my opinion, LA got the same amount, if not more, bad calls as the Canucks. So maybe you should acknowledge that one team wasn't getting penalized 'unfairly' and that some games there will be more calls than other games That is just the way it is. So, instead of blaming the refs, maybe some of you should just grow up and realize that the canucks did not show up and it is their own fault for losing.

Remember canucks had 3 questionable calls against them, LA had 4...

Personally, even though it was a pretty high penalized game (of 7 questionable calls), i think the refs did a FAIR job.

Thanks for reassuring me once again why we are one of the most hated fans in the league. Can't even acknowledge that it was our team's loss...pathetic.

^^ Psssst.......it's "BREAK" not 'brake'...........unless you're pulling a vehicle to a stop in this thread......... :picard:

You'd have a little more credibility if you at could at least spell correctly in the very first sentence.

^^ Psssst.......it's "BREAK" not 'brake'...........unless you're pulling a vehicle to a stop in this thread......... :picard:

You'd have a little more credibility if you at could at least spell correctly in the very first sentence.

Archived