Canucks Community

Do We Need To Split Them Up

Bodee

I think the ideal lines would be:

Burrows-Sedin-Lapierre

Higgins-Kesler-Booth

Raymond-Pahlson-Hansen

Weise-Malhotra-Kassian

First line just simply works. Lapierre, despite not having true first line skills like the other two, has the energy to get them going and plays as physical as anyone. I think he'd wake Henrik up again and keep the Kings big forwards from shutting them down.

Second line needs a guy like Higgins. He seems to calm down everyone he plays with and Booth could use that right now. Kesler, aside from his diving, really wasn't that bad last game.

Third line would gain some speed with Raymond which in turn could create a little more offense on the breakout. Raymond is very good defensively and I think these three would do a little better job shutting down the Kopitar line due to the speed Raymond brings.

Fourth line is a fourth line and should be used as such. Having Malhotra to take the faceoffs means they don't get pinned in their own end a lot and I think Weise is very underrated defensively.

The best part of this lineup would be the fact that every line has two or three very good defensive forwards effectively eliminating the matchup game.

Burrows-Sedin-Lapierre

Higgins-Kesler-Booth

Raymond-Pahlson-Hansen

Weise-Malhotra-Kassian

First line just simply works. Lapierre, despite not having true first line skills like the other two, has the energy to get them going and plays as physical as anyone. I think he'd wake Henrik up again and keep the Kings big forwards from shutting them down.

Second line needs a guy like Higgins. He seems to calm down everyone he plays with and Booth could use that right now. Kesler, aside from his diving, really wasn't that bad last game.

Third line would gain some speed with Raymond which in turn could create a little more offense on the breakout. Raymond is very good defensively and I think these three would do a little better job shutting down the Kopitar line due to the speed Raymond brings.

Fourth line is a fourth line and should be used as such. Having Malhotra to take the faceoffs means they don't get pinned in their own end a lot and I think Weise is very underrated defensively.

The best part of this lineup would be the fact that every line has two or three very good defensive forwards effectively eliminating the matchup game.

If you are gonna split them up I would prefer to see Booth go to the top line with Henrik.

I don't wanna see Higgy with Kesler, cause our 3rd line has been really good for us, and I don't wanna see that split up.

If you were to split them up I wouldn't mind seeing.

Raymond-Henrik-Booth

Burrows-Kesler-Lappy

3rd

4th

Obviously once Daniel is back he could slot into Raymond's place and then either drop Raymond to the second and Lappy back to the 4th or scratch Raymond all together and bring up Reinprecht(sp) to play on the 4th

Burrows-Sedin-Lapierre

Higgins-Kesler-Booth

Raymond-Pahlson-Hansen

Weise-Malhotra-Kassian

Kes missed time early in season cause of hip surgery, Raymond took a while to return, Booth we traded for after 10+ games(?)...as a line together, Raymond only spent time with them earlier on because of Higgy's staph infections. Booth missed some time with that leg contusion, so yea...just saying.

Imo I wouldn't mind seeing:

Booth-Hank-Lappy

Raymond-Kes-Burr

First game, booth and Lappy teamed up crush players with hits. Don't have it recorded on PVR but if I remember correctly one of the players was Drew Doughty, the hit got the crowd going and set a physical tone. 2nd line has Raymond and Burr feeding Kes for the wrist shots. Kes has been passing so Burr and Raymond would get their chances as well.

Apparently you guys don't read Nucks Misconduct. There was an article just the other day, but I can't find it just now. Here's one from a week ago with much the same idea:

Kesler has actually produced at a better rate with Chris Higgins this year, then he did in his dominant season last year.

Put Booth on the 1st line with Hank.

I wish we still had Cody because he could be the 2nd line centre that we need and Kesler could be playing on the 3rd line in a defensive shut down role. If Kesler is not going to generate offense then we now have 2 shut down centres and the versatility is gone from the lineup.

Cmon Kes....step it up a knotch!

As far as the Kassian for Cody Hodgson move....big MG mistake. You trade a producing player for a 4th liner who is not living up to expectations.

Having two players on the same line that don't pass the puck makes it easy to defend, then again having a center that is a puck hog can kill a line fast.

I was really hoping that they would try hogson centering the line for a few games. I think it would have worked great playmaking center with fast hard driving wingers, but that ship has sailed.

Apparently you guys don't read Nucks Misconduct. There was an article just the other day, but I can't find it just now. Here's one from a week ago with much the same idea:

It's hard to display the tables and all that, but basically Corsi and chance data see a significant increase for Booth, Kesler and Higgins when they're paired together. When Raymond is on that line at the expense of Higgins, they see a decrease.

So the answer might be not to split up Booth and Kesler, but to reunite them with Higgins.

EDIT: Here's the one I was looking for, it was at the Canucks Army blog, not Nucks Misconduct. It talks about how Booth is actually a pretty decent two way player over his career despite bad +/- numbers, but it has very good data on how the 2nd line performs depending on who's off it at the time.

Archived