The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Daniel Skating

drukes1234

To all the people criticizing my "half joke" off Daniel manning up, you guys act like no one has ever played with symptoms before. People have done it since hockey was invented, back when a concussion was called a headache. All I'm saying is, that if we somehow lose tonight and the next game I would be pissed off if Daniel doesn't suit up, symptoms or not.

To all the people criticizing my "half joke" off Daniel manning up, you guys act like no one has ever played with symptoms before. People have done it since hockey was invented, back when a concussion was called a headache. All I'm saying is, that if we somehow lose tonight and the next game I would be pissed off if Daniel doesn't suit up, symptoms or not.

He did go back a few steps in protocol. I'm making assumptions here but most likely they're accurate. He had the headaches after the full practice, took a skate with the black aces and still had headaches, they shut him down for a few days and then go him on the bike. He was ok after riding the bike, now he skates by himself. If today goes well he will skate with the team, if that goes well, he plays.

You're missing his point. A setback would mean concussion symptoms have returned and the protocol must be followed again from step 1. Daniel not pushing himself as hard after not feeling comfortable (not necessarily full concussion symptoms, I have a headache /= I have concussion symptoms) doesn't equate to a step back.

All this means is he wasn't quite ready for full practices so they've kept him at on-ice workouts. He took the day off yesterday as it was game day. Once he's ready, he'll practice, then he'll be cleared for contact, then he'll be cleared to play.

A setback and not progressing aren't the same things.

The protocol is simple, and you have to pass each step without concussion symptoms to progress to the next step. Each step is a minimum 1 day but a step may last longer if the player doesn't feel comfortable moving forward:

- rest with no exercise

- light exercise

- heavier exercise

- on ice skating (not a full practice)

- on ice skating (practice)

- on ice skating (practice with contact)

- games

In this case, Daniel has to feel comfortable, but also doesn't want to interfere with the lineups for the next game if he isn't going to play.

Someday I'm gonna print screen posts like "Can't he just man up" and "I'd rather have a Toews on my team" and then when the Canucks wins the Stanley Cup I'll send it to all the Canadian newspaper so everyone can see how much Canucks fans "love" their players and how much they deserve to see their team win.

This is only applicable if you believe that the concussion protocol is mandatory or enforced by the league in some way.

I think teams like the Blackhawks have shown us that this is not true, and the "protocol" may be in place for legal and liability purposes only.

Guest Dasein

While I agree with everything you said, it's always now or never in the playoffs for these guys no matter if they've won or not.

So as a Canucks fan I have to support each player 100%? That isn't going to happen. I've been indifferent towards the twins since they re-signed.

Edit: I'd rather have a top line player that can play in any situation and not ride the bench.

Archived