The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should Av Take Advice From Laviolette?

TwinTelepathy

When the players aren't executing, the coaching staff is there to COACH them. It's their job to instruct the team and to direct team strategy. If the players are not implementing or executing the strategy, the coaching staff needs to be able to find a way get them to, in any way that works. If the strategy is not working, it's their job to develop a strategy that is more effective.

I'm not seeing a lot of either of the above and it's got me pretty worried.

I'm not sure he's dynamic enough with adjustments, and he is definitely not dynamic enough in terms of personality.

His style may win titles and awards, but the bottom line is this team has trouble with consistency. Since it's easier to replace one person, or even three people, as the case may need to be, it makes no sense to cull a bunch of players.

But there's still some hockey to be played. I wouldn't count AV out just yet. He might be able a way to beat L.A.

AV Is always outcoached in the playoffs and he is no comparison to Laviolette. Laviolette was the gutsy guy who benched Gerber after Carolina was down by two games in the first round and replaced him with an inexperienced Ward who eventually won the Cup.

Vancouver did not practice in Chicago before game 4 after winning 3 and the Canucks collapsed in the next three and almost lost game 7. This time Vamcouver lost the first game at home to LA and the PP and PK were awful but there was no practice for the specialty teams and even the whole team. All AV knows is chewing gums when the teams keeps marching into the box in game one and when the team was in complete chaos in game 2. The PP was in a complete slump since January but AV has done nothing and he should be done in Vancouver with an early exit.

I agree with the OP. When the Canucks are droning around for long periods of time, they can't fix themselves. The coach should give their heads a shake by having some outbursts; controlled outbursts. Torts-style is too much, but Laviolette-style is fine. I don't see any harm in that. What do I know though, I'm just a fan.

When the players aren't executing, the coaching staff is there to COACH them. It's their job to instruct the team and to direct team strategy. If the players are not implementing or executing the strategy, the coaching staff needs to be able to find a way get them to, in any way that works. If the strategy is not working, it's their job to develop a strategy that is more effective.

I'm not seeing a lot of either of the above and it's got me pretty worried.

I'm not sure he's dynamic enough with adjustments, and he is definitely not dynamic enough in terms of personality.

His style may win titles and awards, but the bottom line is this team has trouble with consistency. Since it's easier to replace one person, or even three people, as the case may need to be, it makes no sense to cull a bunch of players.

But there's still some hockey to be played. I wouldn't count AV out just yet. He might be able a way to beat L.A.

The best coaches in the league right now are the 2 most passionate ones - Torts and Laviolette. Say what you want about Trotz, Suter and Hitchcock, Tortorella and Laviolette have driven their teams back from 2 and 3 goal deficits so many times with inspiring timeouts and adjustments which is why these teams will meet in the Conference Finals.

The Cup winner is the team that best adjusts to beat its opponent, and these coaches do it best. AV is possibly the worst at adjusting - last playoffs the Canucks didn't change their style of game at all and it almost lead to a Cup win, but the Bruins' style of play was just better suited than ours was. Instead of adjusting our game to take advantage of the lack of calls and dirty play, we tried to play the same way and it cost us.

Now its costing us again - if the Canucks don't change their style a bit and make adjustments, we won't penetrate the Kings defence and generate much more offence, and our defence will keep getting victimized by making stupid plays and not playing it safe. Most importantly, the special team coaches have to adjust to beat this aggressive Kings penalty kill which is chewing us up and will be the single reason we get swept out of the 1st round.

Different coaching styles. Both can work. It's just easier for fans to see a connection between the very visible act of yelling and any improvements in play (whether or not that connection is in fact there),and thus they get the idea that all coaches can and should motivate their players this way.

When you watch a practice and see how AV rides players and then watch a game and see him smirking away it does seem perplexing. Dude has no emotion. I still think his laughter at the grumpy face sent a bad message to the team. Still, if he can get the fire back he has proven himself to be a hell of a coach.

Personally,

If I saw Briere score and I was a pens fan who loved their team as much as I love the Canucks, I would erupt. If I had spent a lifetime making hockey not only my means to live but my love for life itself. As in I was a NHL coach and I saw that happen, I would proceed to imitate John Tortorella and smash a stick on the bench.

I want an emotional coach, I want a hard ass who tells the etam what they're doing wrong and to frackign stop it.

AV is some kind of anti coach who thinks his players should learn on their own, what the frack kind of plan is that. They have collectively been to the playoffs as a core for the 4th time now, this time even more different than ever. He still goes into the season and playoffs without a plan and as you see they flounder.

I honestly laugh to myself when all season we have told ourselves they can flip a switch in the playoffs, guess not lol?

Can't wait for the Sedins and Kesler to be yelled at to wake up and adapt their game.

Kassian and whoever we get for Schneider will be the corner stone of our new style.

The best coaches in the league right now are the 2 most passionate ones - Torts and Laviolette. Say what you want about Trotz, Suter and Hitchcock, Tortorella and Laviolette have driven their teams back from 2 and 3 goal deficits so many times with inspiring timeouts and adjustments which is why these teams will meet in the Conference Finals.

The Cup winner is the team that best adjusts to beat its opponent, and these coaches do it best. AV is possibly the worst at adjusting - last playoffs the Canucks didn't change their style of game at all and it almost lead to a Cup win, but the Bruins' style of play was just better suited than ours was. Instead of adjusting our game to take advantage of the lack of calls and dirty play, we tried to play the same way and it cost us.

Now its costing us again - if the Canucks don't change their style a bit and make adjustments, we won't penetrate the Kings defence and generate much more offence, and our defence will keep getting victimized by making stupid plays and not playing it safe. Most importantly, the special team coaches have to adjust to beat this aggressive Kings penalty kill which is chewing us up and will be the single reason we get swept out of the 1st round.

Oh great the overused face palm around here when in fact the above poster makes a valid point.

Laviolette is a great coach and I would love to see av try to talk and motivate his team, he does none of it, i felt this way for awhile.

How does one decide to use a face palm on the thread starter when he has alot of support for what he said? Please put that emoticon away cdc...

What is Alain doing as the head coach of this team? I always see him on the bench with a blank look everytime the Kings score and it always looks like he is confused or panicked..... I saw both games of the Pens and Flyers series and everytime philly went down a goal or even 3 (the 3-0 pens lead in game 1, as well as 3-1 tonight), I would always see Peter Laviolette pep talking and yelling at his players on the bench to get them going, and look how great they've done so far (2-0 flyers series lead)........ Why isn't AV like that? Aren't head coaches supposed to yell and bark at their team to motivate them when they are not playing up to their ability? Especially a team like the Canucks? Honestly it's the playoffs AV......

As far as I'm concerned, none of our coaches show emotion to give some backup for the boys and they look completely dead and confused after every opposition goal. Are the coaches blind? Can't they see that the Powerplay hasn't been working for about 2 months now and they finally get struck by it during the most crucial times?

I know that AV actually did call out some of our top players, but it was obviously to no avail in this game. What I'm talking about is what a coach should do DURING the game behind the bench such as to pep talk his guys, and even give them a good bark to make the players push harder and gain more momentum.

What's final is that the team needs to play better, as well as the coaches needing to show that they are actually hungry for the team to win.

On the bright side.......... The pens aren't feeling any better than us. And.... Last year during the first round of the playoffs, it was Boston v. Montreal with the Bruins having home ice advantage and losing those first two home games, winning two in montreal (much harder building to play in than the staples center)..... leading on to later winning the stanley cup.

If we lose this series and exit early this year, its bad karma from the SCF riots from last year...

Vigneault has shown that he wants the locker room to be run by the players, and he wants the games to be played by the players. Until these last two games, AV's system has worked perfectly fine. I don't see why he should make any major changes when it's just not his style.

Archived