The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Canucks Rely A Ton On Their Top End Talent

NuxFan09

I tried to make a point of this in the GDT and the PGT but it didn't gain any steam.

I don't know about you guys, but the performance by our Canucks so far in the first round against the Kings is not exactly an enigma. I see many people wondering what the heck is going on with this team, a team that is largely the same as the one that got to the Cup final last year. In my mind, we're talking about a pretty simple equation.

Last year, the Canucks' top end talent all were playing at the absolute top of their game. Let's break it down:

Forwards (1st in goals for in NHL)

Daniel Sedin: 41 goals, 104 points, Art Ross trophy, Ted Lindsay Trophy

Henrik Sedin: 94 points, NHL assist leader with 75

Ryan Kesler: 41 goals, 73 points, Selke Trophy

Defense (1st in goals against in NHL)

As a unit, they played much tighter than this year to help the Canucks place 1st in the league in goals against last year. The Canucks had everyone they have this year on the blueline + Christian Ehrhoff and his 50 points and superb skating, puck moving ability and powerplay quarterbacking ability. As far as team defense, bear in mind factors like Manny Malhotra finishing among the top faceoff men in the league (I believe he was 2nd in the NHL after Dave Steckel in faceoff %).

Goaltending

Roberto Luongo: 38 wins, 2.11 GAA, .928 Save%, 4 shutouts, Jennings trophy, Vezina nomination

As you can see, the top end talent for Vancouver at every position was sparkling last year and it was a big reason why the Canucks went so far in the playoffs. That's the problem, though. The Canucks NEED these guys to be playing at an elite level or else they don't have much of a hope. To put it another way, the Canucks NEEDED Ryan Kesler to not only be a two way beast for them but to also carry the team offensively in their 2nd round series against Nashville last year.

Fast forward to this year, when the Sedins aren't 90-100 point players, Kesler is not scoring 40+ goals while simultaneously shutting the NHL's best down, and Luongo isn't giving the team top notch Vezina calibre goaltending between the pipes and team all of a sudden finds itself out of sorts and down 2-0 in their first round series right off the hop. Although it goes without saying the Canucks need these players to perform, it's a bit worrisome that the team seems to rely on them playing at their absolute peak to win. Good enough play from their top players and increased production from their defense and bottom 6'ers like Hansen and Higgins might have been good enough to propel them to the Presidents' Trophy but it's simply not enough to win in the playoffs.

Either the Canucks need to get to a point where they can operate without their top guys working in sync like a well oiled machine or those top guys need to find their game fast.

Isn't that What Top end Talent is for?

Your Best Players have to be your best players.

Right now our best Player is our best player,

Roberto Luongo, I was Shocked when Henrik Sedin won Team MVP cause it was Clear to me Lui Carried the Teams through tons of Stretches this Season's and he's our best player now.

As for Everybody else on the Team.. :unsure: Im not sure what to Say.

I find that we have more depth and rely on top end talent less than we did last year, which is a good thing. However you do need your best players to be your best players and right now it's not happening. Bottom line is we need to play well as a team. Obviously we do need our top end skill to come through but we also need 3rd and 4th line heroes.

Isn't that What Top end Talent is for?

Your Best Players have to be your best players.

Right now our best Player is our best player,

Roberto Luongo, I was Shocked when Henrik Sedin won Team MVP cause it was Clear to me Lui Carried the Teams through tons of Stretches this Season's and he's our best player now.

As for Everybody else on the Team.. :unsure: Im not sure what to Say.

Yes, but my point is the Canucks not only rely on their top players to be their top players but they need those top players to play at an insane level. You're right, for the most part the team's top players have been their top players. Both Hank and Kesler each have 2 points in 2 games and Luongo, while he doesn't exactly have sparkling numbers, has played fairly well for the Canucks in both games so far. Yet, the team finds themselves in a major hole.

I guess what I'm saying is it sucks that these guys either can't find the level they played at last year or the team can't find a way to win without those guys playing at anything short of an elite level.

We only have 3 players who have scored 20 or more goals... So how, say you, were we 4th in the league in goals for (1st in the West) if we did not have all lines including defencemen, contributing in the goals department?

"OK, boys...all you good players, try not to do anything tonight. Let's give those bottom liners all the responsibility to win this game in their 7 minutes of ice time. That will sure make the fans feel good about us."

Ludicrous, moronic, idiotic, stupid...need any more adjectives?

sedin got 104 pts this year ? i though they got like 70 or 80

kesler got 41 goals this year ?

canucks top players look tired and the line shuffling is confusing the players.

can they win this serious ? no, canucks havent looked good all year

Archived