The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Boys Ain't Playing For Lu, Will They Play For Scneids?

78thseason

Roberto has stepped up and done all he can but it's very difficult when we just keep shooting ourselves in the foot. PP is horrible, edler is a liability and looks like a rookie, our top 6 isn't scoring, doesn't appear daniel is returning this series, even if he does who knows if he'll be a factor.

Maybe they will play for Scheids, assuming he will get the start in game 3...

Schneids has been the better goalie all season...he has a better save percentage and gives up almost 1/2 a goal per game less than Lou playing behind the same mediocre defense....doesn't matter if tthe team plays better because Schneids gives them a better chance to win game in and game out...play the hot hand and not the fans darling !!

First line with a third liner.

Second line just put together -again.

Third line just taken apart-again.

D that was just put back together -again.

I say provide some consistency.La Pierre not good enough but the first line went on a tear with him on the first.

It is really late to mix and match.Almost too late.

Kesler and Booth aren't clicking together but they both seem to be playing strong on the puck seperately so I think they're fine to stay together. Lapierre back on the first line with Burr and Hank. Higgins back on the third with Pahlsson and Hansen. Raymond to the second line I guess (ugh).

D pairings 2-3, 23-6, 4-29

IMO our forwards are playing fine offensively. We're generating chances and so far are outscoring the Kings 5-on-5, also we've scored more goals than have been averaged against Quick all season long (2).

Our obvious problem is in the defensive zone. Forwards can't clear the zone, we're giving the puck away FAR too many times and our defencemen are making terrible first passes.

Most of the Kings goals have been given to them by Canuck-mistakes.

Brown's 1st goal - Edler mistake but also a mistake by everyone else on the ice to not cover the late man.

Brown's 2nd goal - Stupid pass by Kesler, worse dive by Hamhuis, terrible back-check by Henrik leading to a clear breakaway

3rd King goal - On the PK, but well earned scrum

Lewis' goal - Malhotra falls over Luongo and our defencemen don't prevent the wrap-around behind the net (their job).

Richards' goal - Bad goal let in by Luongo who was cheating on a pass

Mitchell's goal - Deflected off Hansen's stick up over Luongo, Hansen was caught leaning

Penner's goal - All the Canuck forwards fail to clear the zone and get caught, leaving a 2-on-1 down low.

As you can see, its not like the Kings are creating these opportunities themselves, they're getting given chances and capitalizing on them. If we clean up our defensive game we stop their offence. Meanwhile, the Canucks are generating offence themselves:

Burrows goal - Kesler clips Quick, Burrows fast enough to jump on the rebound.

Edler goal - Deflected off a King player inadvertently not intentionally so a lucky goal

Hansen goal - Great pass by Henrik, Canucks held the zone and great tip, perfect net presence

Pahlsson goal - Perfect shot-and-a-rebound, Pahlsson was hungrier than the defender and outplayed him.

Something's gotta change. I don't know where the Canucks have gone, but this is ridiculous. They honestly look like its a WHL team against an NHL team right now. I say give Schneider the start just to see if the Canucks will play differently for him (as they always do).

coach v has been out-coached in my opinion. his line-up selection and his poor preparation going into the playoffs are glaring, he seems to be pulling straws, sutter has out smarted him!

both bitz n ballard saw no ice time with the top club going through the stretch, in fact gragnani looked very good to me and kassian needed a longer look to see if he could play in a regular shift as a bruiser ( much needed in the playoffs ).

bitz gets the nod to establish a presence, to be a force in a regular cycle over a long period of time, but he embarrases the coaching staff with a ridiculous penalty and we will not see him after his suspension i am sure!

ballard like raymond is a kinda guy where you never know what you will get from one game to the next, gragnani is more deserving as he actually has playoff experience and put up some good numbers last year in one round ( only one round mind ya ) of playoffs with buffalo.

finally, ya gotta go with schneider and if he wins, he's in!

coach v has been out-coached in my opinion. his line-up selection and his poor preparation going into the playoffs are glaring, he seems to be pulling straws, sutter has out smarted him!

both bitz n ballard saw no ice time with the top club going through the stretch, in fact gragnani looked very good to me and kassian needed a longer look to see if he could play in a regular shift as a bruiser ( much needed in the playoffs ).

bitz gets the nod to establish a presence, to be a force in a regular cycle over a long period of time, but he embarrases the coaching staff with a ridiculous penalty and we will not see him after his suspension i am sure!

ballard like raymond is a kinda guy where you never know what you will get from one game to the next, gragnani is more deserving as he actually has playoff experience and put up some good numbers last year in one round ( only one round mind ya ) of playoffs with buffalo.

finally, ya gotta go with schneider and if he wins, he's in!

Is it not puck & player rotations coming out of our end? There is a King in a place a Canuck wants to be, or wants to pass the puck almost all the time. The Kings have scouted our system and we have yet to make the adjustment. Don't you give the Kings any credit for the pressure which has created the turnovers?

Obviously we played much better the 2knd game; the intensity & pressure from us was waaay up & we outshoot the Kings 48-26. But you can outplay a team, and the BEST scoring chances still come off turnovers... So, does coach have to go back to the chalkboard and draw out variations which create passing lanes, or is it execution?

And even if he played lights out in game one as a whole; Lou should not have let in Richards 1st goal. It was a difference maker, as we lost by one goal & an empty netter (on a bad giveaway by Burrows, who was otherwise our best player). In game 2, we outshoot a team 48-26 & loose? In terms of play, the series is even, but so far the difference is Quick has outplayed Lou! Championship teams need the goalie to clutch up and steal some games. But Lou, as is his track record, has his GAA drop in the play off's. Career, his GAA is 1/2 a goal higher in the post season. Its time to give Schneids a game!

IMO our forwards are playing fine offensively. We're generating chances and so far are outscoring the Kings 5-on-5, also we've scored more goals than have been averaged against Quick all season long (2).

Our obvious problem is in the defensive zone. Forwards can't clear the zone, we're giving the puck away FAR too many times and our defencemen are making terrible first passes.

Most of the Kings goals have been given to them by Canuck-mistakes.

Brown's 1st goal - Edler mistake but also a mistake by everyone else on the ice to not cover the late man.

Brown's 2nd goal - Stupid pass by Kesler, worse dive by Hamhuis, terrible back-check by Henrik leading to a clear breakaway

3rd King goal - On the PK, but well earned scrum

Lewis' goal - Malhotra falls over Luongo and our defencemen don't prevent the wrap-around behind the net (their job).

Richards' goal - Bad goal let in by Luongo who was cheating on a pass

Mitchell's goal - Deflected off Hansen's stick up over Luongo, Hansen was caught leaning

Penner's goal - All the Canuck forwards fail to clear the zone and get caught, leaving a 2-on-1 down low.

As you can see, its not like the Kings are creating these opportunities themselves, they're getting given chances and capitalizing on them. If we clean up our defensive game we stop their offence. Meanwhile, the Canucks are generating offence themselves:

Burrows goal - Kesler clips Quick, Burrows fast enough to jump on the rebound.

Edler goal - Deflected off a King player inadvertently not intentionally so a lucky goal

Hansen goal - Great pass by Henrik, Canucks held the zone and great tip, perfect net presence

Pahlsson goal - Perfect shot-and-a-rebound, Pahlsson was hungrier than the defender and outplayed him.

I disagree, and then agree.

Where is the man in front of the net creating pressure this year on the PP? I agree we have to add that component; but Kassian has shown us nothing. Wrong solution! More to the point, we have not been able to carry the puck into the zone to set up the PP, much less get the guy in front of the net. Dyu think Kassian is gunna carry it in?

:picard:

We need to carry the puck through new lanes, possibly creating our own lane into the zone by setting picks (their legal in hockey aren't they :rolleyes: ).

AV is one of my all time favourite coaches, but he's gotta give Kassian a chance with better players. I think he's been one of the few bright spots in his very limited tme on the ice, and he's a tank in front of the net, something that has been non-existant from the rest of the team.

Archived