The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Injury-Suspension Idea

I just thought of this new(?) idea regarding Intent-to-injure injuries (such as deliberate boarding, checking from behind, headshots etc.):

Should the Offender be suspended the same length of time that the player misses? For example, if a player is injured for 20 games, then the offender should not be able to play until the victim is medically-cleared to play.

I think this would be a good idea because:

• Players should be held fully accountable for their actions

• If a player is injured deliberately and cannot play for a substantial amount of time, why should they be able to?

• It will definitely make players think twice before committing a regrettable action

Look at Daniel Sedin right now:

- Daniel Sedin can't play on possibly our last opportunity to be cup-favourites

- We are definitely struggling without Daniel in the post-season

- Keith got 5 games at the end of the season, which did nothing other than rest him for the playoffs

- Daniel Sedin's future is still unknown as well

Moreover:

Why should Matt Cooke be able to play while Savard is at home trying to remember how to pick up a stick? Doesn't this though disgust you?

If a player ended another player's career, they should be held fully accountable by losing their job as well - It's time for the league to crack down.

Let me know what you guys think!

Guest The Brown Burrows

NO.

* Injury shouldn't be the deciding factor of a suspension, the intent is what should decide a suspension. Duncan Keith served his time (should it have been up to the 10 game mark, maybe ; the Savard/Cooke incident was a blatant miss by the league).

Well I don't know, personally I don't think it would be fair if say, Alex Ovechkin boarded, say, Aaron Rome into the boards and injured them, and he is suspended until Rome comes back. Then the Canucks could pretend Rome is still injured when he become healthy again to keep Ovechkin out of the NHL

What happens when someone like Ovechkin levels some line 4 scrub and the opposing team holds that player out longer milking the injury cautiously just so the Capitals struggle?

EDIT: Someone beat me to it :bigblush:

I like the idea of the suspension somehow matching the time missed for the injured player in most cases, but not this one.  Because Sedin was injured when he took an elbow in the head as retaliation for an earlier cheap shot he had made against Duncan Keith, the suspension was just, and fair.  Any player in this game that takes runs at opposing players needs to be ready for the same to come back at them.

I could have easily seen Doan suspended for a longer period of time though for the unwarranted cheap shot he threw at Jamie Benn.

Well I don't know, personally I don't think it would be fair if say, Alex Ovechkin boarded, say, Aaron Rome into the boards and injured them, and he is suspended until Rome comes back. Then the Canucks could pretend Rome is still injured when he become healthy again to keep Ovechkin out of the NHL

Archived