The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Definition Of Team

2CANSAM

A little off topic but I just want to take you all back to the Stanley cup finals and the Marchand - Sedin incident. You remember the one where he got speed bagged and no one did anything to date.

Fast forward to Ottawa - NYR game 1 and see star defenseman Erik karlsson getting the same treatment from Brian Boyle. What happens next ? Matt Karkner and Zenon Konopka are inserted into the lineup and Boyle pays for behavior. And on top of that, Ottawa wins the game.

This is my definition of team and sticking up for your star players.....

So far marchand has gone unchecked for daniel and Sami and keith got away with some hair pulling. Plus I guarantee that we won't do anything to him next season .

Say what you want but I respect what Ottawa did today

A little off topic but I just want to take you all back to the Stanley cup finals and the Marchand - Sedin incident. You remember the one where he got speed bagged and no one did anything to date.

Fast forward to Ottawa - NYR game 1 and see star defenseman Erik karlsson getting the same treatment from Brian Boyle. What happens next ? Matt Karkner and Zenon Konopka are inserted into the lineup and Boyle pays for behavior. And on top of that, Ottawa wins the game.

So far marchand has gone unchecked for daniel and Sami and keith got away with some hair pulling. Plus I guarantee that we won't do anything to him next season .

We could have got Colton Orr for nothing but his salary which we could have afforded. Could have been a two way deal that would see him split time between the big club and The Wolves, but oh no, we were apparently too good for Colton Orr and he had no place in the Canucks game and look what happens.

Not saying this because I think the series with LA is over as I don't because it's a 7 game series last time I checked but that to me was one of the biggest mistakes that Gillis ever made was not picking him up. How much does anyone want to bet that no one from New York takes liberties with Karlsson again?

Say what you want about Don Cherry and I'll even say that I disagree with him way more then I agree but there is still a little bit of room in this game for his way of thinking. Boyle was a piece of crap for what he did to Karlsson and he got what was coming to him.

If we had Colton Orr I think instead of playing, Duncan Keith might still be eating his meals through a straw.

The Kings aren't hurting us by playing dirty. If this was a 7-game series against Chicago after what Keith did, you can bet he wouldn't finish the series alive.

Kassian, Bitz, Weise, Bieksa, Alberts, Duco, heck even Higgins, Kesler, Burrows and Booth are all keen to get some payback.

Have you seen what happens in the next game yet?................that is a slippery road to go down. Carkner broke the code in my opinion, he did it outside the game, he kept hitting him when he was down (he could have been unconscious ) he didn't give Boyle the chance to get his gloves off. I'm glad we have more class. I want the Sens to win but not that way.

If there is no line to the violence, someone will get seriously hurt, there will be court cases and in the end the good part of the pugilism will be lost with the bad..............is that what you want?

When the deal to get Kassian was made much was said about Kassian's role on the team was NOT to score goals but to provide toughness and grit for the team. Ok MG did not come right out and say he wanted Kassian to kill people but that is what I understood him to mean. So far imo Kassian fails, but that could be from the coaching level.

Have you seen what happens in the next game yet?................that is a slippery road to go down. Carkner broke the code in my opinion, he did it outside the game, he kept hitting him when he was down (he could have been unconscious ) he didn't give Boyle the chance to get his gloves off. I'm glad we have more class. I want the Sens to win but not that way.

If there is no line to the violence, someone will get seriously hurt, there will be court cases and in the end the good part of the pugilism will be lost with the bad..............is that what you want?

Part of the problem is that the Canucks are under close scrutiny by the ref/league so we can't get away with payback as effectively as other teams. I, too, wish someone would have reacted but we get the short end of the stick every time. It's a fine line in balancing losing players to suspensions, etc. and sending a message. Gut reaction stuff serves a great purpose but, in the long term, doesn't always pan out well for us.

I do want to see this edge I've heard about with Kassian...I know he's young, but you have to start somewhere. I long to see the old Bieksa (but understand why his role has changed). I miss Jovo because his heart was translated through his fists and it was often a one punch exclamation mark.

Doesn't have to be a thug/goon, but someone who immediately responds. Sigh, so frustrating in this damned if you do/don't league. I'm starting to despise the NHL and really thought we wouldn't find a need to have these conversations at this stage. The Bertuzzi incident has hardly made a dent in how this league responds to dirty incidents and sends the messages that they won't be tolerated. They leave teams out on a limb when they don't, because then they don't get closure and it follows them around. Expect a Bertuzzi II situation coming to a rink near you soon. It will happen - likely not our team, as they know how that unfolds.. But another team feeling the same frustration will likely end up settling things themselves, with serious results.

Lets not forget bertuzzi taking on weber- no easy feat bought it had to get done. Realisticallly i still cant fathom how sedin didnt just lay him out but i guess he wanted to be on the powerplay for the team, so yeah someone less integral to team success should have disciplined marchand the ratface.

No doubt, it seems like the Bruin blue print was not a one off after all. The league has let the game take a step back the last couple of months in my view, but maybe this is where they wanted to see it go. Hard to believe that though when your stars like Daniel and Alfredsson are missing games due to blatant cheap shots. Make no mistake, it appears the frontier mentality has returned.

Here's the thing with guys like Neil and Carkner. They are not goons. I don't like goons and don't believe they have a place in the game. The thing is with Neil and Carkner...they can play quite a bit. Neil scored the OT winner by battling in front of the net. He was being mauled by the Ranger D-man, but battled to knock that rebound in. This in a game where he got in Prust's face for his take down of Karlsson, and created havoc all game long. I love this guy!!

Right now on our roster, I don't see many guys that will stand in front of the net and take that kind of punishment. As a matter of fact, in my view a big problem in this LA series is we have nobody willing to crash and bang in front of the net, instead of doing fly by's near the general vicinity of the front of the net.

And I realize we do have some toughness on our team, but would Richards be allowed to do what he's been doing to Hank after every whistle if Chris Neil was in our lineup. No bloody way! And don't for one minute think Richards wouldn't know that. Don't underestimate the value of this and how it can pull a team together.

Archived