The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Draft Day] Go After Grigorenko

Difference is, Philly's scout>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Canucks scout.

You want to trust the Canucks scout who thought getting Ballard for 1st, Grabner and Bernier was a good idea? Or the scouts that suggested Kassian?

The thing is, we want to win the cup. So you either forget about the cup and rebuild, stocking up on 1st round picks OR you get young players for extra assets (lu or Schneider) and try to add to this lineup while keeping the core that got you to the finals last year. So which one is it? Because we can't stock up on 1sts yet also try to field the best team when we are losing assets and good players that can contribute to a cup run.

To Columbus:

Schneider, Kesler, Schroeder, Ballard, 2012 2nd

To Vancouver:

Columbus's 1st 2012 (Grigorenko), 1st 2013, 1st 2014, Johansen, Mason

Sign Justin Schultz in the summer.

-I think now is the time to trade Kesler. yes , he has had an off year but he is still a Selke winner recently and that has to be worth something. Kesler is considered a superstar still so I figure that's worth two 1st rounders, most likely high end 1st's ( It might give us a shot at Nathan Mackinnon next year). For Schneider, it's basically him straight up for Grigorenko. We get a big, talented young centre oozing tons of skill. Slot him in as our #2 centre. These are hard to find. Switch up Schroeder for Johansen. We get bigger with this trade as well and he has NHL experience. Slot him in at #3 centre. Get rid of Ballard's contract and add our 2nd in 2012 for Mason who I think needs a change of scenery on a good team. Let him back up Luongo. At least he can learn from Lu and work on improving his game to a level he had when he won the Calder. This could work out well for us if he can find his Grade A game again (with a better defense in front of him). He's only 23.

2012-2013 lineup:

D.Sedin - H.Sedin - A.Burrows

D.Booth - M.Grigorenko - C.Higgins

M. Lappierre - Johansen - Z. Kassian

Y.Hansen - S.Pahlsson - Jensen

D.Hamhuis - K.Bieksa

A.Edler - J. Schultz

Connauton - C.Tanev

A.Alberts - Y. Sauve

R.Luongo

S.Mason

We need to change up this roster. It's been the same for too long and now it's getting past it's best before date. With this roster, we inject some much needed youth (talented youth) with a mix of veterans. Sauve is ready for the NHL and has size. Connauton has the skill and instincts, a hard accurate shot from the point...he's ready. Tanev's only going to get better. Edler with Schultz would be a dynamite combo. Hamhuis and Bieksa remain our top duo.

As for our forward group, the top line remains the same. It's our big point producing line. It's reliable.

The second line would be very dynamic with Grigorenko (big, tall, skilled centre) between two fast wingers with good shots in Booth and Higgins. Grigorenko has big time NHL size and skill and is a #2 overall pick. No use in putting that kind of talent on the 3rd or 4th. No, he immediately takes over Kesler's spot and chances are he will adapt quickly to the NHL. The 3rd line could be a big, skilled and gritty line with Lappierre as the veteran stabilizer and mentor. Johansen has been compared to Getzlaf with the same kind of size and skill potential. This is the spot to put him. Kassian would look good on this line and get him more minutes and experience. As the years go by and he develops into the power forward all the scouts know he'll be, I can see him on the 1st or 2nd line when the Sedins and Burrows are on the decline. The 4th line is a good, reliable, shut down line where Jensen can learn the ropes with Hansen and Pahlsson in his 1st year. Jensen almost made it last year out of training camp so I think this year he could do it. He is another young player with great hockey sense and NHL size. Get him into the mix now.

I know you all think this is too drastic but keep your minds open to new possibilities going forward. The team is getting old and we have some good young players in the system who can add new enthusiasm, excitement and competitiveness up and down our roster. We not only get younger and more talented, but bigger. Remember, this is just an idea and sooner or later, a changing of the guard will have to happen and we will have to let new young players into the mix. This roster , I feel anyway , has a nice mix of youth size, speed, talent, and character. We get to keep our 1st rounder this year and acquire 2 future 1st's to help stock the cupboards. If AV is unwilling to let the young players play, fire him and replace him with Mac T. Besides, he will already know many of them.

Archived