The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ian Esplen Nails The Coaching Problem (Must Read)

jonnycanuck46

Pretty poorly written for an "article". Whenever you read a supposed article and it has spelling mistakes in it, the credibility takes a pretty big kick to the gut if you ask me.

I don't entirely disagree with what it gets at though.. I haven't been a huge fan of AV over the years and i think the op does touch on several points of frustration that I have with AV for sure. Doesn't make him a bad coach, obviously he is a very good coach. That said, I think he's been here and had a chance long enough.. just like Raymond. Either you get it done after this many years or you don't. Its tough, but that's the way it is. If something isn't working for you, you gotta make the change.

Lastly, why do people feel the need to add "must read". I mean come ON. If your topic and its content is good enough people will read it.. putting "must read" in the title is so lame and unecessary and in this case entirely untrue. Its not even close to a must read.. its barely a "might want to read".

In a war situation I would tend to trust the calm guy more. I don't want to see the coach throw a Tort or start gumming a load of bull in the players ears like Suter. These are not single brain cell soccer players they are highly intelligent hockey professionals who know the score.

Did it ever occur to you the reason we don't have bampots on our team is they are "screened for the right stuff" before we acquire them. We have elite leaders in the team itself and I'm sure if something needs said by AV and his coaches it gets passed on in a quiet controlled manner...............Focus and keep doing what the situation requires.

I don't see how you support that argument.

We here not bludgeoned out of the SC Final series by Boston. Sure there were a few unsavoury incidents like the face wipe etc. But game 7 could have gone either way, we gave as good as we got. We were injured before Boston and then took some more but I think you take Tim Thomas out and it doesn't even go to 7.

In regards to puck possession style getting shut down by what the Bruins and now Kings are doing, there are differences in the Canucks puck possession style and say a team like Detroit's. The Detroit puck possession system generates high quality scoring chances with players going hard to the net, our system generates perimeter shots. It's two very different things, even though the systems are both "puck possession".

Against a good goalie, generating 50 perimeter shots is pretty much useless. You're going to get 1 goal every hundred of those types of chances, and that won't win you games. A good puck possession style holds onto the puck and moves it smartly while players go hard to the net, and then take the shot, instead of wasting bad shots from far out that have no chance of a goal unless they get a fluke deflection.

I've said for a very long time that this team has won a lot of games simply because of the roster being extremely strong, coasting to wins when it wasn't a tight game. But when the team faced real adversity, when teams gave it their all against us, we faltered. In the playoffs, same thing. Those times ARE what defines an honestly good coach. Any coach that is even close to average can coach a roster like we've had (with our world class goalies) to regular season success, but when the games get tough and tight, you see how good a coach is. How he counters what the other team does, what he does, how he sees whats being done to his team and gives them a gameplan that beats that.

Look at AV. When another team's coach solves what we're doing, AV stands there and chews... and stares. Where is the coach when they need him to give them the solution? he stands there. When they make mistakes, he doesn't coach them, he stands there. When there is a time out and normally you see the head coach explaining to his troops what they need to do, where is AV? He's standing there while the assistant does it. meanwhile the opposing head coach is drawing the gameplan for the other team.

And to give no support at all to your Captain, your star, who honestly played his heart out and looked like he was channeling Trevor Linden, is despicable. I had little respect for AV before, but even less now.

I like how you suggest the Kings will tune out Sutter even less than a year into his tenure as their coach. Remind me again of how long AV has coached the team, and why don't we find out the average tenure of NHL coaches while we're at it.

No matter what you think of the coaching, we are down 3-0 to the 8th place team in the west. They are relying on solid defense and sublime goaltending. At some point the coach has to figure out how to exploit the holes in the Kings' strategy, and get the players to buy into this strategy. All I hear is "stick to the gameplan" and where has that gotten us?

^ My point with AV having been here for so long is more to do with being past the best-before date. Players can only listen to a coach so long before the voice turns into a drone (or like when adults speak in the Charlie Brown world). Much in the same way a trade can rejuvenate a player, a coaching change can rejuvenate the coach's career, and get a team back on track.

Clearly, AV isn't getting through to the players. The after-whistle play is really making the Canucks lose their focus. AV can't seem to keep Kesler from falling. The discipline of the team is a joke. And I just absolutely hate his favourtism.

Canucks are the better team on paper, even without Daniel in the line-up. The coach has to prepare the team for their opponent... is this something that you feel has actually transpired?

^ My point with AV having been here for so long is more to do with being past the best-before date. Players can only listen to a coach so long before the voice turns into a drone (or like when adults speak in the Charlie Brown world). Much in the same way a trade can rejuvenate a player, a coaching change can rejuvenate the coach's career, and get a team back on track.

Clearly, AV isn't getting through to the players. The after-whistle play is really making the Canucks lose their focus. AV can't seem to keep Kesler from falling. The discipline of the team is a joke. And I just absolutely hate his favourtism.

Canucks are the better team on paper, even without Daniel in the line-up. The coach has to prepare the team for their opponent... is this something that you feel has actually transpired?

Even Henrik said he was fine with the hit.

Vigneault didn't "throw Henrik under the bus". He made a reasonable comment about a hard, clean hit. The message: suck it up and play through it. But then AV knew that anyway. That's what a good captain does, Henrik missed a shift, then played well the rest of the game.

Patting players on the back after they make mistakes is great if they're peewees. Adults don't need to be coddled. And there're plenty of times when Bowness gives instruction to players on the bench -- (without the love taps and flowery encouragement).

I would point out that Scotty Bowman, greatest hockey coach of all time rarely if ever showed ANY emotion behind the bench. If you want current day coaches, neither Bylsma or Trotz show any emotion (Trotz has that eyebrow twitch, but not kicking and screaming at his guys). Sometimes that emotion can spark a team, I admit. In other cases it only gets the players more hyped to the point they lose their discipline.

AV has 267 wins, 148 losses, 45 OTL's with the Nucks

in the playoffs he is 32-27 (and the first couple years we sucked)

FYI, Torteralla and his firey emotions haven't made it out of the first round in the same time frame.

Horsesh*t. Patting players on the back is what I saw Sutter do to one of his guys when he made a bonehead play. His team is up 3-0.

The players have the talent. There's no doubt about that. So what are they missing? Heart? Well, as a coach, you find a god damned way to maotivate them to show some heart.

I tell you what. You go ahead and love AV all you want. And when he's gone, you go root for the team he coaches. I will be rooting for the Canucks, no matter who their coach is, but eswpecially if they find a coach who knows how to get his men to play with purpose. It's the coache's job, after all.

And you do stick up for your captain and star player, no matter how "good" the hit is, not because you think it was a dirty hit, but because he's your captain and star player and he needs to know you've got his back through thick and thin.

Once an AHL coach, always an AHL coach. I can't wait 'tioll they ship his arse out of here.

I would point out that Scotty Bowman, greatest hockey coach of all time rarely if ever showed ANY emotion behind the bench. If you want current day coaches, neither Bylsma or Trotz show any emotion (Trotz has that eyebrow twitch, but not kicking and screaming at his guys). Sometimes that emotion can spark a team, I admit. In other cases it only gets the players more hyped to the point they lose their discipline.

AV has 267 wins, 148 losses, 45 OTL's with the Nucks

in the playoffs he is 32-27 (and the first couple years we sucked)

FYI, Torteralla and his firey emotions haven't made it out of the first round in the same time frame.

whining about Weise, Kassian or Ebbett not being utilized it ridiculous - game three was vital - two full days rest afterwards - AV was using his best players as much as he could trying to get the win - had nothing to do with bad coaching or failing to trust the depth players - look at the circumstances.

Archived