The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kesler To Montreal

Constantly disappointing? I wouldn't consider last year a disappointment.

The last 2 years we lost to the Stanley Cup Champions...

This year we matched up against arguably the best 8th seed since the lockout.

Yes this series has been disappointing, but how good do you think Boston would have done last year if they lost Chara to injury, or if Chicago lost Toews the year before?

There was a statistical regression in their game this year. Obviously they are top caliber producers in the league, but you suddenly make this team significantly weaker now, and in the near future.

You essentially end up with a better version of the Oilers.

I know a lot of you are in love with kesler but just imagine what he could bring in for us? It's not like we would be dumping him for Patrik Stefan. He might be able to bring in similar value to rick nash because of his lower cap hit and 2-way game. Every team will be asking about him and one team is bound to overpay (looking at you burke).

Yes, the goal is to win the Cup... and our success has shown that we are close to it now.

If you suggest that starting a rebuild is a way to get us closer, then you are simply wrong. You don't seem to understand how building a roster works. You don't put one together, try it for a couple of years, and if it only gets to the SCF final without winning... blow it up and start over.

Trading away top roster players for picks is doing that. It absolutely gets us farther from winning the Cup.

I know a lot of you are in love with kesler but just imagine what he could bring in for us? It's not like we would be dumping him for Patrik Stefan. He might be able to bring in similar value to rick nash because of his lower cap hit and 2-way game. Every team will be asking about him and one team is bound to overpay (looking at you burke).

I don't disagree, I was arguing against the concept of trading away core players for draft picks as a strategy to win the Cup immediately. I actually believe that we should trade one of our core guys away in the summer in order to shake up the chemistry a little (assuming we exit in the 1st round). The probably candidates for that are Kesler, Edler, or Luongo. You certainly don't move the Sedins, and most of the rest of the upper end of the roster are not going to get you a better value back for cap dollars spent. My argument with the OP is that if you feel the need to do that, you go after other top level NHL players... and not a draft pick who will not be at their prime contributing range for another 2-5 years.

They produced less this year than last year... but that doesn't make it a trend or give any indication that it is the start of a steady decline. They can easily come back next year and beat this season's totals.

Even if they were slowly going down and only be a point per game players... how does moving them help us? Are you going to get better players for their price?

So an 18 year old kid is supposed to come in and be a top 6 center on a contending team?

And he is supposed to come in and fill in for a recent Selke winning center?

Don't you think its a bit early to say the Oilers will make the playoffs next year? This is the team that finished 2nd worst in the league. They haven't began making offseason moves, so its a little hard to make that claim. There's no doubt the kid line will be good.

But its hard to quantitatively prove that the Oilers will make the playoffs when they have a terrible defense and suspect goaltending.

Daniel is responsible for 12.4% of their goals. And that is before you factor in his impact on Henrik, and Burrows (as well as his ability to contribute on the PP).

Yes the team should be playing better without him, but I think it is safe to say we would likely have more than 4 goals in 3 games if Daniel was playing.

Again, I think we would see Philly struggle without Giroux, and Boston struggle without Chara. When you lose your best player its a big impact to a team. I don't think any team can claim they would not be derailed by losing their star player.

Yeah, but there is no wait right now. That is the difference. Kesler and Edler are already elite players. It does set us back, because we no longer have the ability to use a selke caliber center and a top 10 defenseman. These moves close our window to win in the near future.

Theres a reasonable chance a Kesler/Edler/Luongo less team misses the playoffs.

This also affords us the ability to develop our players properly by not having to rush them into the NHL (ala Schneider).

Mike Gillis has stated before he is building this team around the Detroit model.

The concept of moving prime aged star players on a contending team is just....well...silly.

I should point out, I don't think the Sedins are going to regress significantly in the near future.

But by the time these players are ready to be difference makers the Sedins will likely no longer be top tier players (this is more of the point I was making).

Right now you have 2 recent art ross winners on your team. You don't get much of a better window than that in regards to winning. This team should be looking to build around them and bring in supporting players in their prime like Kesler/Edler/Hamhuis/Booth. Not rebuild.

So, should Pittsburgh be looking at moving Malkin/Letang/Fleury?

That was a pretty good team during the regular season...fizzled out in the playoffs.

Our issues are offense, and we are missing our best offensive player.

How would Philly be doing in the playoffs if they were missing Giroux?

....He (Sedin) hasn't been missing all season but Kesler never rose to the point where he could fizzle out in the playoffs hence all the threads suggesting trading him.If you don't do what is expected of you pretty near all season long how can you be missed if you're traded ?

Bingo... like a Luongo for Lecavalier swap (jokes)

If you trade Kesler, where do you come up with a top 6 center?

Its one thing if its something like a Kesler for Getzlaf trade...its another to turn this team into a slightly better version of the Oilers...

Archived