The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why Didn't We Resign Torres?

PunPryde

The Canucks made Torres an offer for a one year contract extension. The money wasn't the problem, the term was. Torres wanted a bit more security and wanted a 2 year contract. Gillis and co didn't agree to this and therefore Torres is a Coyote. Biggest mistake of last years off season IMO.

Is it possible Torres is the single most overrated player in Canucks history?

Torres scored like 15 goals in the season, but I'm pretty sure he had like 5 multiple goal games. He went through periods of like 15-20 games of being COMPLETELY useless.

In the playoffs he scored 3 goals.

While he may have been the best enforcer on the team, that isn't a testament to his strength, but rather the weakness of the team.

The Canucks need top 6 strength, not firey 4th liners who contribute once every three weeks.

Of course we need powerful top 6 players, which team doesn't?

I disagree, the Canucks do need emotional heavy hitting 4th liners. Not just a big body, but gritty hard working players that have a genuine mean streak in them. We keep trying to force that role on players i.e. Oreskovich. Torres was that guy. Now I can definitely agree with the posters saying he's overrated on this board. He's gone and not coming back so people need to get over it.

I don't think Lapierre was resigned because Gillis had intentions of not resigning Raffi. I just think Gillis didn't want to take the 2 year gamble on a player that was a bit of a head case. The guys that were brought in to bring some energy were Weise, Pinizzotto, most notably Bitz and eventually Kassian. Weise and Bitz are even more inconsistent with their hitting and are WAY less of an offensive threat than Torres. He always floats around 15 - 20 goals per season which is more than decent. Pinizzotto as we all know is injured, but may have been that guy. Kassian will be a stud, but invisible thus far (VERY limited minutes I realize, but that's another issue). All him and Bitz need to do is go out there and bang.

And just like Lapierre, Torres could be moved up and down the line up. I obviously know Ebbett wasn't brought in as his replacement but positionally all the players I mentioned are where Torres would potentially be playing. I think the team would be better off with him in our line up and even if it's just a 4th line roll. From what we've seen (short stints) Kassian, Bitz and Weise haven't brought anything consistently to the line up.

Seriously... the guy was amazing last year in the playoffs. Clutch goals AND the best enforcer we had on the team. Raffi really would have came handy right about now against the King's forecheck. Should have tried harder to resign him imo.

Because Gillis wanted to try to improve rather than maintain the status quo? It didn't work out, but remaining with the status quo wasn't an option. We fell short last year.

But of course, all the armchair hindsight GM's can always ice a better team with no attention to things like budgets, or for that matter, having to actually stand by the team they ice.

Is it possible Torres is the single most overrated player in Canucks history?

Torres scored like 15 goals in the season, but I'm pretty sure he had like 5 multiple goal games. He went through periods of like 15-20 games of being COMPLETELY useless.

In the playoffs he scored 3 goals.

While he may have been the best enforcer on the team, that isn't a testament to his strength, but rather the weakness of the team.

The Canucks need top 6 strength, not firey 4th liners who contribute once every three weeks.

his hit on seabrook woke up the hawks.

his hit on horton woke up boston.

he would skate past a free puck to throw a stupid hit.

he stopped playing hockey to become a bowling ball.

kinda like browns hit on hank. what was he thinking? adding injury to insult.

the caucks played with a little more spark after that.

Archived