The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Jordan Staal Unhappy In Pittsburgh

For those saying Kesler is better than Staal, there is some truth to that. And obviously Kesler brings more speed. But in a deal involving both, there'd probably be more than one piece.

And don't forget, Staal has suffered some injuries the past 2 years, but has paced for 60 & 66 points. He's 4 years younger than Kesler and already has been to the SCF twice and won a cup. He's never played on a Sedin PP - Kesler averaged 3:30 of PP TOI/G this year, whereas Staal averaged 1:59....

Also don't forget that Staal has 2 inches and 20 pounds+ on Kesler. And he paced for more hits last year than Kesler as well.

Oh! And he doesn't dive and embellish nearly as often or ever.

Jordan Staal had a PPG of 0.81 this year. That puts him as a top line centre on...

Anaheim (0.70 of Getzlaf)

Buffalo (0.55 of Roy)

Calgary (0.74 of Jokinen)

Colorado (0.68 of O'Reilly)

Columbus (0.55 of Brassard)

Florida (0.71 of Weiss)

Minnesota (0.80 of Koivu)

Montreal (0.74 of Desharnais)

Nashville (0.71 of Fisher)

NY Rangers (0.80 of Richards)

Phoenix (0.45 of Vermette)

St. Louis (0.66 of Backes)

Toronto (0.69 of Grabovski)

Winnipeg (0.62 of Little)

*positions taken from NHL.com so if a player is listed as a centre and he's not, not my fault)

Though his PPG is likely boosted by playing on the same team as Sid and Geno, I can understand why he's not content playing 3rd line minutes.

For those saying Kesler is better than Staal, there is some truth to that. And obviously Kesler brings more speed. But in a deal involving both, there'd probably be more than one piece.

And don't forget, Staal has suffered some injuries the past 2 years, but has paced for 60 & 66 points. He's 4 years younger than Kesler and already has been to the SCF twice and won a cup. He's never played on a Sedin PP - Kesler averaged 3:30 of PP TOI/G this year, whereas Staal averaged 1:59....

Also don't forget that Staal has 2 inches and 20 pounds+ on Kesler. And he paced for more hits last year than Kesler as well.

When's the last time Staal played 82 games?Staal not an improvement on Kesler, doesn't help the nucks secondary scoring, that deal would be a move just to make a move...not gillis style.I do agree moving Kesler makes sense but for a different return, ala Richards or Carter makes more sense and then move lu or schneider for a second line center and top 4 dman.

I didn't say Staal straight up for Kes would be an improvement. Staal + another solid piece? Probably. And Kesler is NOT that MUCH better than Staal who brings some other things to the table (more physical, stronger on the puck, generally bigger, lots of playoff experience, younger, etc).

I like it but not sure Raymond has to much value.The other guy I want nucks to be looking at is Chris Stewart (not for kesler) but this guy is lost in St. louis, hitchcok doesn't like his game but he is exactly the type nucks could use and will be an RFA and young only 24. Could see nucks turning this former 30plus scorer back to his Av's days.

Staal is waaaay overrated on this board.

He is a 50 point player who belongs on the second or third line.

He is NOT elite talent, or a 1st line center.

Should another team try to cast him in that role, they will soon find they have a 50 point 1st line center.

Archived