The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Another Trade Proposal... Why Not

Okay it's my 1st so don't jump all over me

1st thing 1st - Boston sucks and I blame all that is bad in today's playoffs

Here are 3 possible trade partners for Vancouver, what makes me think they are... well the trade value seems reasonable.

1 Carolina - E. Staal, Allen, and 2 DP for Luongo

Reason - Schneider has proven he's ready for the #1 position, there's too much bad publicity for Luongo here (but he's still gold).

2 Anaheim - Perry, Holland For Kesler, Raymond

Reason - Both Perry and Kesler need a new start... okay more Kesler than Perry. Anaheim clearly needs a #2 center to take the heat off Getzlaf. Holland looks good in a few years.

3 Montreal - Eller, Subban, Tinordi for Schroeder, Ballard, Malhorta, Rodin

Reason - Montreal needs a big body center, and they get Manny. Schroeder and Ballard more than makeup for Subban. Rodin and Tinordi are just straight up exchange again Mon needing skill on the front Van needing size on at Defense

Alright, go on pick it apart :)

PS: To all those wanting coach V gone... how many years was Scott Bowman coach in Detroit and how many cups did he win? 9 years 4 cups with a far more awesome team than what we've ever had.

Congratulation, on your first post, you totally captured the spirit of this forum and what it is all about!

Down the road i think you will be a great addition to this forum.

On the behalf of the Canucks Community, i welcome you!

Note: you could show us the final lineup after all your trade to give us a general view and make us dream a little bit!

No need for that

Reason - Montreal needs a big body center, and they get Manny. Schroeder and Ballard more than makeup for Subban. Rodin and Tinordi are just

straight up exchange again Mon needing skill on the front Van needing size on at Defense

Okay it's my 1st so don't jump all over me

Here are 3 possible trade partners for Vancouver, what makes me think they are... well the trade value seems reasonable.

1 Carolina - E. Staal, Allen, and 2 DP for Luongo

Reason - Schneider has proven he's ready for the #1 position, there's too much bad publicity for Luongo here (but he's still gold).

2 Anaheim - Perry, Holland For Kesler, Raymond

Reason - Both Perry and Kesler need a new start... okay more Kesler than Perry. Anaheim clearly needs a #2 center to take the heat off Getzlaf. Holland looks good in a few years.

Reason - Montreal needs a big body center, and they get Manny. Schroeder and Ballard more than makeup for Subban. Rodin and Tinordi are just straight up exchange again Mon needing skill on the front Van needing size on at Defense

Alright, go on pick it apart :)

PS: To all those wanting coach V gone... how many years was Scott Bowman coach in Detroit and how many cups did he win? 9 years 4 cups with a far more awesome team than what we've ever had.

No chance of that happening unless if Gauthier was still GM and left his brain at home

Subban = Future star, top pair defenseman; Montreal's main building block

Eller = Future 1st/2nd line center

Tinordi = Will also be a top 4 defenseman in a few years if he develops nicely. So basically you're trading spare parts (excluding Manny) for future stars.

Welcome to this forum.

Next point of business: I wanted to stop reading after trading Lu to Carolina (they have Cam Ward)

Perry for Kesler decimates the Canucks' center depth to just Hank

not sure I'd want to make the Montreal trade (moreso for Montreal's perspective; Vancouver could use Eller and Tinordi but P.K.'s attitude could be problematic, though we took Lapierre in too so what else could we not try?)

Eller > Malhotra

Subban >> Ballard but his bad attitude doesn't help

Vancouver should need Schroeder's offense

Rodin - Tinordi... not sure Montreal would take that offer, they don't need more small, skilled European wingers

Welcome to this forum.

Next point of business: I wanted to stop reading after trading Lu to Carolina (they have Cam Ward)

Perry for Kesler decimates the Canucks' center depth to just Hank

not sure I'd want to make the Montreal trade

Eller > Malhotra

Subban >> Ballard but his bad attitude doesn't help

Vancouver should need Schroeder's offense

Rodin - Tinordi... not sure Montreal would take that offer, they don't need more small, skilled European wingers

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to all that have commented on this crazy idea, and yeah I'm painfully aware that it's just that a crazy idea. But you know, sometimes crazy ideas do come true. For example, Brian Burke orchestrated a wonderful draft pick swap that brought us the Sedins, how many of us would have dreamed that up? I don't recall my thoughts from that long ago, but I think I didn't see that as a possibility.

Well, with that in mind and the fact that currently all MG has to think about (other than contracts) is the draft, here are 3 trades for picks that IMO would cement him as the best GM in Canucks history and have a Burkian flavor too.

1st trade - send Luongo (crap how many are still reading) to Toronto for their #5 pick and Reimer... wait don't stop reading it gets better.

2nd trade - send Schroeder, Alberts, Ballard to Montreal for their #3 pick and PK Subban... I'll explain why these work out for TO and MON in a second.

3rd trade - send Reimer (you see), Hansen, Raymond and Malhotra to NY Island for #4 pick, Hamonic, Nielsen

Why these work for the trade partners?

Trade 1 - Toronto and Burke need to make a splash, their golies suck and they know it. Reimer or Gustaffson whichever is the same in the outcome.

Trade 2 - Montreal just ended a dark period and needs to make positive changes that their fans will appreciate. Their front end is depleted of skill and needs a boost now. They can't wait 2-3 years for a top pick to mature. Therefore Schroeder fits their plans perfectly. Subban is a bit of a wild man and has had some negative press, with new Management coming in they need their players to be in sync with this new image and I don't think Subban can change. Therefore trading him is in their interest and getting Ballard and Alberts is a very good return.

Trade 3 - NY Island, this one is a package whose parts make sense together. In Raymond they get another top 6 forward to complete their top lines. In Hansen and Malhotra they get defensive players with experience which is lacking in their team. And Reimer... well they get a better golie than the one they currently have.

What will the line up look like then?

22-33-7 Sedin, Sedin, Booth

20-17-14 Higgins, Kesler, Burrows

32-ni-9 Wiess, Nielsen, Kassian

54-40-34 Volpati, Lapiere, Bitz

25 Ebbet

2-ps Hamhuis, Subban

23-3 Edler, Biezka

8-th Tanev, Hamonic

5-29-47 etc

What MG should do with the picks?

If Grigorenko still there pick him #3. If not then these guys I think are good:

Galchenyuk - C - 6.1

Reinhart - D - 6.4

Faksa - C - 6.3

Forwards with skill are still very few in the organization.

Anyway, let the opinionation begin :)

Montreal refuses this deal for so many reasons.

A) Subban is by far the best player in the deal. After some early season issues Assistant coach Randy Ladouceur managed to get Subban to calm down. By the end of the season Subban was playing 25-27 minutes a night of very well rounded defense. He, Price, and Pacioretty are the young cornerstones of what the Habs will retool with. He's only 22, of course he has maturing to do, but it will be in Montreal, not Vancouver.

B) 3rd overall is the highest Montreal has picked in 32 years. In that position they will be able to draft an impact player (likely the big centre the team has been lacking for years) If they trade it away the return will have to be unreal or there will be a riot. Honestly I don't think the package you've suggested would even be enough to land Montreal's 1st round pick, let alone the pick AND Subban

c) Shroeder is a nice prospect but holds almost no trade value for Montreal. They are a team that is trying to get bigger and they already have David Desharnais in the line-up. WHo is essential a better version of Shoeder and has already proven himself at the NHL level racking up 60 points this year.

D). Montreal already has a couple of bad contracts on the blue line. Unless Vancouver is taking Kaberle back I doubt they would be willing to take on Ballard's. They neeed to keep Cap space to re-sign Price and Subban this year and Pacioretty and Desharnias next year.

Shall I go on? It just isn't a good fit. Montreal is giving up way to much,getting marginal players with no real value to Montreal in return, and losing cap space in the process. Thats not how you rebuild

Archived