The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Marc Crawford Says

Canuckin'-Chong

At the time, we still paid him 2.5 mill, which wasn't chump change.

Regarding Crow, definitely he did not have anywhere close to as strong a defense to work with. Crow also used his top players better, using the Sedins on the PK like other stars do, they were actually the forward pair that went the longest without getting scored on while PK'ing, in the league. Had AV continued to use them like that, they'd probably be amongst the most respected two way high scoring forwards in the league right now.

Crow was a good goalie away from the cup here.

Now we're a good coach away from a cup here.

Personally I wouldn't trade the coach with the best record in our history for the coach with the second best record in our history. Especially seeing as how it was also the last coach to get fired here. I like Crow for sure, but I just don't think it would work any better than it is now.

I don't see much point in firing AV.

I also know that if AV is fired this year, he will have a job to start next season somewhere else in the league. Lot's of teams would happily take him, IMO.

Personally I wouldn't trade the coach with the best record in our history for the coach with the second best record in our history. Especially seeing as how it was also the last coach to get fired here. I like Crow for sure, but I just don't think it would work any better than it is now.

I don't see much point in firing AV.

I also know that if AV is fired this year, he will have a job to start next season somewhere else in the league. Lot's of teams would happily take him, IMO.

I really think this hockey team needs a guy like Crawford. He gets the player pumped up and if the team doesn't play well he can actually turn their game around by lighting the whole bench on fire. NOW all AV does is put on his no expression face. This doesn't really motivate the players. The canucks really needs a torterella guy and Crawford can be that guy.........if AV does get booted.

Crawford coached Que/Col 4 years and won a cup. He had a strong team with a great goalie. He came here and got us 4 seasons with 40+ wins without the benefit of a goalie that was any good. I have very little doubt if the Crawford coached teams had a Luongo or Schneider, we'd have been celebrating a cup. The he coached a poor team in LA, for 2 seasons, with poor goaltending. The Kings finished 5th in their division the following two years after Crow left. I'm not seeing their performance as his fault there. On to Dallas, where he was "lucky" enough to be the coach when ownership set a salary limit well below the cap as the team ownership was in turmoil, and they were riding the end of Turco's career as his ability was declining (and they got rid of him after this). Dallas without Crow is NOT in the playoffs this year now are they? Despite not "succeeding" in LA or Dallas, Crow still improved each teams wins by 5 in the second year with them. AV is the only coach in Canucks history to have a goalie anywhere near the caliber of Luongo. It's been very clear that anytime our goalies here aren't playing above average, AV doesn't seem to win. If it takes allstar goaltending for AV to win, it's simply a case of awesome goaltending, not awesome coaching.

Crow was one stupid game away from keeping his job but his team blew it up for him. That was an absolute embarrassment for that entire veteran group to lose the last game of the season that was meaningless. TBH that team probably overachieved and Crow just so happened to be the fall guy for missing the playoffs.

He's more suitable than MacT, but I'm not sure if I'd want either next year if AV gets canned.

Archived