The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Judgement Determined By Your Morality?

Heretic

Using judgement  

25 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Call the police. Oh wait, that's conveniently not an option.

"You ignore it" and "You say to yourself 'the guy probably deserved it' " are basically the same thing, but I find it no less humorous the moral proselytism in this silly poll to leave off an option I'm sure most people would pick. Not many would stupidly throw themselves in a fight where they were outnumbered, nor would they just walk by and do nothing.

Call the police. Oh wait, that's conveniently not an option.

"You ignore it" and "You say to yourself 'the guy probably deserved it' " are basically the same thing, but I find it no less humorous the moral proselytism in this silly poll to leave off an option I'm sure most people would pick. Not many would stupidly throw themselves in a fight where they were outnumbered, nor would they just walk by and do nothing.

I'd call the cops personally (the part about knowing the cops wouldn't arrive on time is rubbish, people are not omniscient and wouldn't know that).

That said I don't think there's too much problem going 'Switzerland' on them and letting them sort out their own problems, people often grow stronger through adversity so it can be tough to judge when to intervene or not. If it looked like a kidnapping or something I would probably try to intervene or follow them.

Of course, it would fit the type of convenient answer you want. How much you skewed your poll answers aptly shows your personal insecurity with how easily defeated your subjective morals are with sound objective reasoning. The fact that you ignored such an obvious answer, then added "even though by the time they get there it would be over" sums it up nicely.

Your polling questions are inadequate. Anyone who is willing to put their well being on the line but also has some common sense would call the police before intervening. Nearly everyone has cell phones and a 911 call takes only a few seconds. If things get rough, at least help will be on the way.

I would probably call the cops and assess if I could take on all three with the element of surprise and possibly with an equalizer such as a 2x4. If not, I would try to find help in the immediate area or at least record the situation on my phone for evidence.

On "What Would You Do", they had something similar to what you are talking about. In the first one its a homeless person they were beating up and in the second one, its an illegal immigrant.

Too many variables to state that the answer to the question contains any reflections of "Morality".

Proverbs 26:17

Like one who grabs a stray dog by the ears

is someone who rushes into a quarrel not their own.

What if the person getting beat on did deserve it (let's say, for argument's sake, that he beat up his girlfriend, and friends of hers are giving him his due). But, out of some vague sense of morality, you try to intervene, and you inadvertently kill one of the "attackers".

You find out that this guy was a loving father, and also supported his elderly parents. Now what exactly have you done? How can anything you did, thought, or even hoped to accomplish be remotely "moral". It all just turned out to be foolish, and your motives are exposed as simply wanting to rashly play hero.

Your polling questions are inadequate. Anyone who is willing to put their well being on the line but also has some common sense would call the police before intervening. Nearly everyone has cell phones and a 911 call takes only a few seconds. If things get rough, at least help will be on the way.

I would probably call the cops and assess if I could take on all three with the element of surprise and possibly with an equalizer such as a 2x4. If not, I would try to find help in the immediate area or at least record the situation on my phone for evidence.

On "What Would You Do", they had something similar to what you are talking about. In the first one its a homeless person they were beating up and in the second one, its an illegal immigrant.

Too many variables to state that the answer to the question contains any reflections of "Morality".

Sometimes, you have to make a split second decision - you're not spiderman - you can't do 2 things at once.

I'm not talking about being a vigilante.

Myself, I wouldn't try to intervene by fighting - but I would yell to take their attention away and hope they stop.

By the time you call 911, get through, describe what is happening and where you are - the guy might be dead.

What's inadequate about the polling answers?

Don't just say they're inadequate - I hate it when people come up with negative answers why something isn't working.

What is great is providing solutions.

So instead of saying they are inadequate, tell us/me what would be better?

I posted this based on comments in 2 other threads going on - that's all.

There's no right/wrong answer.

No one is judging - it's a hypothetical what if?

Just like how they teach defensive driving.

I do appreciate the feedback though.

I would go with 1 or 4, depending on the exact situation. I would be less inclined to help a complete stranger vs a friend. And you also have to consider if they have weapons, how "tough" are the 3 guys, do I have access to a weapon, the location (can't i just recruit a few other people walking by), etc.

Given the limited info, I'll assume it's a random guy being beaten by 3 other random guys i have never seen. No weapon is visiable but they may have it concealed. And assuming there is no one else around to help me. I would call the cops then yell at them so they know someone else is watching (from a safe distance).

A few years ago, i was walking by to university and i saw 3-4 guys surrounding a friend in an alley. my friend is a little, scrawny guy so he is an easy target. Anyways, i just started running towards the group yelling at them to leave him alone. They all ran off. They had already gotten his wallet and cell but at least they didn't hurt him. If it was a random person, I probably wouldn't have jumped in right away.

What if the person getting beat on did deserve it (let's say, for argument's sake, that he beat up his girlfriend, and friends of hers are giving him his due). But, out of some vague sense of morality, you try to intervene, and you inadvertently kill one of the "attackers".

You find out that this guy was a loving father, and also supported his elderly parents. Now what exactly have you done? How can anything you did, thought, or even hoped to accomplish be remotely "moral". It all just turned out to be foolish, and your motives are exposed as simply wanting to rashly play hero.

It's in my nature to intervene when someone is getting beat up by more than one person. If this was taking place at a party then I would definitely jump right in there.

But If they looked like stone-cold-killers in a dark alley I probably would just phone 911.

Archived